PBP: PL Match 34: Everton vs Newcastle United, Apr 23 [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Apr 23, 2018.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League
    Monday April 23, 8:00 PM
    Goodison Park, Liverpool

Injured: Gamez (NUFC) if that counts, Stekelenburg, Mangala, Holgate, McCarthy, Sigurdsson (EFC)
    Suspended: None

Referee: Bobby Madley

TV: NBC Sports 12:00pm PST 3:00pm EST

One point will make us mathematically safe and guarantee Premier League football next year. Surprisingly we also find ourselves in the top 10. So, a win would also pass Everton in the table, whose form is the opposite of our stellar results as of late. Extra motivation is the chance to pile on to Fat Sam's pressure as manager. The end may be coming for him anyway, but wouldn't it be great if we were the reason for him to receive his walking papers.

First chance to post play-by-play live in a while with a decent start time out here on the west coast, although a weekday. Feel free to comment if you're watching!

2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to mention that this will be Slimani's first start for us. Three months later than I'd hoped. We saved ourselves without him, as it turned out. He's really changed our game for the better when he's come on as a sub. I hope he has the same effect as a starter.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jagielka had the best chance of the first half, but pretty evenly matched. Our passing is off, in general, but especially when Perez had a chance to feed Slimani in one-on-one. Damn you!

I like our chances to come out stronger in the second half.

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walcott scores off a high cross that manages to bounce around, off of Yedlin for one. Need to turn it up, lads.

5. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never expected Gayle to do more than he did in the Championship, but he doesn't even get those goals anymore. Golden opportunity.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a few chances, missed them badly. This probably should have ended 0-0. Instead we should back into safety next week.

Everton fans are moaning about not being exciting enough with Sam. Next year we'll be hoping to be at least as good as them.

JayRockers! repped this.