Alert: PL-era Sheep Draft - Lineups and Tactics

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cr7torossi, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    This thread is for the sole purpose of drafters submitting their final team and tactics.

Discussions should take place in the main thread.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/pl-era-sheep-draft-main-thread.1945486/

All drafters should submit their final team for judging. You must leave out one player from your selections, although you can detail multiple formations using your chosen XI.

Last year and this year's all-time draft thread is available for reference

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sheep-draft-2-formations-and-tactics-no-discussions.1727811/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sheep-draft-3-line-ups-and-tactics.1946595/

2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    IDEAL TACTICAL SET-UP:

If we disregard the opponent and just think in terms of how I'd like to play, my team is set up initially to play a 4-3-3 direct short-passing game, like a Bielsa team.

Giggs - - - - - - - - - - Vialli - - - - - - - - - - Kanchelskis​
    Yaya Toure - Lucas Leiva - Ballack​
    Bale - - - - - McGrath - - - Bruce - - - - - Zambrotta​
    Sorensen​

DEFENSE:

Very high tempo, constant aggressive pressing, players going man for man (with a spare man at the back) and very short spaces between the lines to compress the space available to the opponent when defending. The defensive line plays high, with McGrath free as sweeper and Bruce man-marking and everyone else pressing, but the whole team drops off as a unit and defends my third of the pitch and plays for the counter-attack if the first press fails, to avoid the opponent playing through balls behind the defence. The aim is to win the ball in the opponents half of the field, stop the opponent getting their heads up to pick passes and being rapid with transitions from defence to attack. I have plenty of speed, mobility, power and height in the midfield too. There is cover for the fullbacks to push up if needs be, since all of my midfield trio can defend properly. Defensively the idea is to play like Bielsa's Bilbao:

Or as Bielsa's Chile in this vid:

OFFENSE:

When attacking, the aim is to move the play forwards almost immediately if possible, move it forward with one or two touches in the midfield and move it wide at speed. The only players who are encouraged to take more than a few touches before passing are the pacey wingers. They start by hugging the touchline and are free to take on their man at every opportunity, supported by fullbacks who play as auxiliary wingers. The fullbacks push up high and overlap if the winger wants to leave the touchline. One of either the winger or fullback on each flank is always getting chalk from the touchline on his boots to ensure huge width when in possession.

The midfielders arrive as the second wave, with Ballack as the playmaker and Toure as additional support. Both can head, shoot and pass long or short, especially Ballack who can do all of this using either foot. Lucas stays behind the play and defends and watches counter-attacks, sorry Lucas.

The idea again is Bielsa's Chile:

Or Mourinho's Chelsea:

STRATEGY:

The strategy is to lock down the centre of the park, make it a real physical battle there, and take the battle to the flanks. I believe I have the Premiership's overall best left-winger and a dangerous player behind him in Bale who has a deadly shot and cross. On the other flank I have the speed of Kanchelskis (Ferguson has said Giggs and Kanchelskis were the quickest players he worked with in a footballing sense), backed up by Zambrotta who is good both offensively and defensively. If the wings are shut down due to excellent defensive awareness from the opponents fullbacks and wingers, I still have Toure and Ballack who can create from central areas as well as shoot from distance. Ballack is tasked with being the central playmaker.

CHANGES:

But as I said, the idea is to press man for man with a spare man at the back, so whilst the above is good for a 1 or 3 man forward line (with Bruce marking the central forward, McGrath sweeping, fullbacks marking wingers), if there are two strikers my team changes to a back three, with Toure sweeping like he sometimes did at Barca, and Mcgrath and Bruce man-marking. Just as in the Bielsa system, the front three remain unchanged and are still supported by Ballack as the playmaker:

Giggs - - Vialli - - Kanchelskis​
    Bale - - Lucas Leiva - - Ballack - - Zambrotta​
    McGrath - - - Yaya Toure - - - - -Bruce​
    Sorensen​

And I can also go to a 4-5-1 if there is a danger of me having to play against a team which tries to outnumber me in the centre (e.g. against a diamond midfield such as a 3-4-3 or 4-3-1-2):

Vialli​
    Giggs - - - - - - - - - - Ballack - - - - - - Kanchelskis​
    Yaya Toure - - Lucas Leiva​
    Bale - - - - - McGrath - - - Bruce - - - - - Zambrotta​
    Sorensen​

STRENGTHS:

The focus is very much on the team, so I have picked players who are tactically versatile, can all energetically press for 90 mins, are physical and mobile, are not prima-donnas and who will cover for their team-mates if the opposition beat the initial man-marking. The defensive unit as a whole is really good IMO. The team from top to bottom can defend well (even Bale and Kanchelskis are decent, the rest are very good in terms of defensive workrate imo).

I have plenty of power, aerial presence, stamina, mobility and speed in the team, which is useful defensively as well as offensively..

At the same time these guys can play ball in the opponents field. I have very strong quick wings, perhaps the quickest out of the Premiership if you look at both wings, and my players can really hurt on the counter-attack. Ballack is a complete midfielder and him and Toure can also cause damage from central areas.

WEAKNESSES:

I needed a ball-playing keeper. My very first pick in the first round was Schmeichel and some gay blocked him. The idea then was to wait to get Peter in the last round or get someone like Van Der Saar or De Gea who can distribute and play keeper-sweeper but then I got a sheep, so I now have Sorensen. he is decent enough but if there was a transfer window I'd sell him and get someone who is very comfortable in possession to ensure that I can retain more possession than my opponents.

I also needed two man-markers and a midfielder who can play CB to allow me to switch systems mid-game to keep a spare man at the back if the need arose, again a necessity in the Bielsa system. So I got Bruce and McGrath and Toure for those roles. Bruce lacks pace but is an excellent man-marker. McGrath was also not the quickest in the 90's although he was still an excellent defender, can man-mark as well as play sweeper, and is a good footballer who can bring the ball out from the back. But these two combined mean that a high line is dangerous if a midfielder gets the opportunity to get the head up and thread a through ball. The way to counter this is to ensure that everyone presses as a team, and if in seven to ten seconds the ball isn't won back, everyone drops deep to play on the counter. In retrospect I could have chosen Pallister instead of McGrath, but flexibility in the team was key for me and I went for McGrath since I thought I can always play him as DM if needs be (I think he played there early in his international career) and get another CB if I couldn't get someone like Toure.

Finally for those who think Bale is a weakness at LB, he won't be spending much of his time there as the fullbacks in Bielsa's system all spend lots of time in the opponents half. The Toure-Lucas - Ballack midfield also gives me a bit of insurance since one can move across to cover in emergencies. Given the cover those three provide, and also given that Giggs in his prime protects his fullback, I'm willing to go toe to toe offensively with Giggs and Bale against any RB/RM combination.

3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    [​IMG]

Captain: Totti
    FK: Häßler / Totti / Batistuta
    PK: Totti / Batistuta

Now most players should be well known to every drafter here, so I spare you the details.
    Simple 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 formation with Francesco Totti in the Second Striker role, with his former Roma teammate Gabriel Batistuta up front.
    Two phenomenal dribblers David Ginola and Thomas Häßler on the sides, versatile Michael Essien and Dino Baggio as Central Midfielders.

Maybe Häßler and Baggio need some praise as they peaked a while ago outside of EPL.
    The German Häßler had his finest hour around when EPL started in '92 finishing Top 5 for Ballon D'or. Dino was a key player for the strong Parma side in the late 90s and had 60 caps overall for his country.

My Central Defense pairing is composed of CL winning Porto Captain Jorge Costa and six times Romanian Footballer of the Year Gheorghe Popescu. Later is strong on the ball, even a capable playmaker and the leader of my defence, while Jorge Costa - nicknamed 'the Tank' - offers a more aggressive and physical style of play.
    Sylvinho is probably the worst player in my lineup imo, but was still a sufficient squad player for Barcelona, had some good skills and speed.
    Glen Johnson and Petr Cech complete my team.

Oh yeah I hope you've noticed that my team lacks players that were already 37 years old playing their final season after three ACL tears in 1992.

4. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]
    Line-up and tactics description

Neville Southall: one of the best keepers ever in the English top flight, always has full command of his area making him an asset to the back four.

Kyle Walker: provides pace and aggression down the right without too much positional liability.
    Steve Staunton: balanced left back, can move to link up well with redondo and seedorf
    William Gallas: strong athletic centre back with a better touch and control than most Premiership centre backs
    Pietro Vierchowod: another physical beast, as fast a centre back as you could imagine, plus a brilliant man marker. Unique to get such a reliable centre back with that much pace.
    - Overall the defence holds a lot of pace and has a solid bank of four with further protection from Redondo in front of them. You would need a phenomenal presence in the box to get the better of the centre backs in the air too.

Fernando Redondo: one of the best ever DMs, ever. Unlike most others he possesses excellent technique, passing and vision as well.
    David Platt: excellent passer (for an Englishman) to go just in front of Redondo and provide a cultured balance between him and Gascoigne. A surprisingly reliable source of many goals as well.
    Clarence Seedorf: superb engine in midfield, can play responsibly alongside Redondo and Platt and also drive forward to link up with Gascoigne and provide openings for the front two with through balls for Wright and diagonals for Hughes. Can provide width on either side if necessary.
    Paul Gascoigne: Can play comfortably at the tip of the diamond with no other potential liabilities around him in midfield. Hughes can make space for him to improvise and to set up Wright.
    - Midfield is the strong point of this team, in particular their passing ability. A diamond shape suits all four members, plus Platt and Seedorf should contrast nicely. If needed, Seedorf or either full back can provide extra width.

Mark Hughes: Brings some strength and steel to the forward line. The havoc Hughes creates for centre backs can create openings for the lethal midfield, whether it be Gascoigne on the ball or Platt as a goal threat. Everyone on this forum should be familiar with his contribution.
    Ian Wright: Bags of pace and one of the finest goalscorers the Premiership has ever seen. Should be on the end of a lot of through balls, which can be provided from any of the entire midfield
    - There is a nice contrast in the front two here with Wright bringing the pace and goals and Hughes making much of the space and causing more of a physical problem. Both well known for scoring goals from all angles and the feed of chances they should get from this midfield should cause endless problems.

Overall we have a strong, quick and wise defence, a cultured yet balanced midfield of great passers who can hold their own, and a deadly strike force used to scoring often but with contrasting styles. All of which can easily link up in this system. And most importantly a sensible formation that this set of players can work with.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stanard Lineup

[​IMG]

In the immortal words of Alan Partiridge, this 4-2-3-1 will provide 'liquid football' and quick, counter attacking movement down the wings with some quality drive and distribution through the middle.

Player Roles

Bosnich - Obviously in his peak at Villa, before he became a fat bast, a good shot stopper and solid keeper who I would look to distribute quickly to make use of the wide men on counter attacks.

Lauren - I would use him as a stay at home fullback who can protect Anderton and I have partnered him with a ball playing centre half in Lucio as he can tuck behind him and keep that channel strong between the centre half and Lauren.

Babayaro - I would be looking for him to provide width when Henry cuts inside and generally work the left flank, going to the byline rather than delivering early due to a lack of a target man.

Bould/Lucio - My centre backs are the perfect partnership, Lucio is clearly more technical, with his forrays forward and the ability to start moves (as well as peerless diving to wind up the opposition players) combined with a battling centre half in Bould who is a stay at home defender, working on Babayaro's side to sit and allow his forrays forward.....protecting the channel between the two. Think of it as a 'Vidic/Rio' style partnership!

Carrick - I am looking for him to come deep and pick the ball up to start moves, especially early balls down the right for Anderton to run onto or to Henry's feet and let him run at players and cut inside.....he is my defensive screen as well as he has an excellent ability to intercept the ball rather than tackle and instantly start moves.

Vieira - My midfield general, a box to box legend who can not only break attacks up with tough tackles and enfoirce the middle, but provide driving runs forward and final third support due to high fitness levels and athleticism. Definitely the captain of my team.

Beardsley - A creative dribbler, even in his Premiership years with a low centre of gravity and an eye for goal and assists. I would look for him to operate between the lines and pick the ball up in midfield and create by going past people looking for the runs of Anelka and Henry, both pace merchants, behind defences. He can also move out left if needed to cover Henry when he moves central. A free and creative role for the handsome geordie.

Anderton - Injury free in my team lulz, he would be my pure right winger, especially effective when countering and using his adept crossing and passing ability to look for Anelka especially either ahead of him as he goes wide right or for back post balls to Henry/balls for Vieira and Beardsley to run onto and join attacks though. Provides a completely different outlet than Henry, from a deeper position, giving me a 'slanted' midfield.

Henry - Starting as a left inside forward, he has license to cut inside (when he is at his best) when he wants and look for the far post finish or Anelkas runs.....Has a free role to do what he wants and is looking for early balls inspace to run at defenders as much as he wants to run onto through balls behind the line. A peerless striker, with obscene technique, pace and skill.

Anelka - My poacher, a pace merchant who can operate in the right channel if needed but my pure finisher who is the most advanced player. Able to score all sorts of goals, his partnership with Henry with the supporting cast would be nothing short of prolific. All sorts of differen't opportunities would be created for him and he is versatile enough to cope and provide finishing from crosses, through balls and longer ranged efforts.

Attacking Mentality

Ideally, my team would be pretty direct, Lucio has the ability to start moves but ideally Carrick would be my deep lying playmaker who would start moves down the line on counter attacks or through the middle with quick/sharp passing in triangles with Vieira and Beardsley looking for a mistake positionally from the opposition that would allow Henry or Anelka space to run into or receive the ball in a favourable position ie running at a defender with space behind them. Against deeper lines, we would look to move the ball around slowly, trying to isolate Henry against the right back and Anelka in the space between the leftback and left centre back to get through on goal or to the byline.

We also have the ability to play a deeper counter attacking game with quick wide players and Vieira who can a la Yaya Toure, drive the ball forward and start a quick counter himself, especially with the pace ahead of him.

Defensive Mentality

I would look to pressure the ball when it gets near the half to counter attack as winning the ball higher up (unless against inferior teams like Umars ;) ) is risky with a low defensive work rate player in Henry, same with Beardsley. Also, winning the ball deeper allows quicker players to be caught up by supporting players as it takes longer to attack so Vieira for example, can get on the end of an attack or Beardsley etc

I would expect Lauren to sit deeper and defend, almost as a wide centre back and carrick and Vieira to track back and hold a line with Vieira actively tracking the ball and Carrick looking to intercept, overloading in wide areas if possible. Anderton has to support the defence and I would want Henry to work harder than usual defensively with Beardsley helping that left side.

Strengths

Obsiously pace, a quality backline with suitable partnerships and a great midfield two supporting a real right winger and Henry out left. Beardsley is a more than capable playmaker and penetrative dribbler (think of him as a more handsome Iniesta with Carrick as my Xavi) partnered by one of the greatest central midfielders of all time who can start and break up moves. Anelka is a more than capable striker too. Counter attacking and quick passing and direct moves as well as slow tempo posession football could be worked into this team who are versatile (formation options below) and a strong unit.

Weaknesses

Bosnich is only adequate and partial to the old nose candy and Babayaro too is decent, but not exactly Ashley Cole. Beardsley was still quality in the Premiership, but it was the twilight of his career so his fitness may be an issue and my only sub is Andy Sinton, who could be an ok left midfielder I guess but hardly a gamechanger!!! Teams could also pack their midfield which could trouble me, especially with Hnery wide left which is why I have crated other options.....

[​IMG]

A 3 5 2 to over-run opposition central midfields with adequate width included, Lucio as my Libero and a partnership between Henry and Anelka uptop without Henry worrying about the defensive left wing.....Lauren is not naturally a centre half but a more than adequate player when needed there, although Anderton is questionable defensively!

[​IMG]

This is simply and all out attack, high pressure formation which would purely be used when down a goal or two as it pushes Henry upfront.....Sinton would get gametime in this formation as Beardlsey would only be an inside forward here and a pale imitation of the Pires role....Sinton could provide width and a decent left foot....I would use this formation against weaker sides who defend deep as more orthadox wingers are more dangerous and can cross deep than inside forwards and advanced wingers who want to be in the space behind defenders.

That's my lot......

Republic of Mancunia and Umar repped this.
  6. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Captain: Roy Keane
    Corners, free kicks: Rivaldo
    Every player is in their preferred position and had their best seasons in the PL era. The formation can be used against any opponent with minor tweaks.

Attack
    Rivaldo has a free role offensively, can move around as much as needed. My wingbacks, Valencia and Clichy, go forward at will with every opportunity to stretch the opposing team as much as possible (and the back 3 shifts to the side of the attacking wingback to provide cover). Tugay is a deep lying playmaker with a great shot from distance. Keane is the enforcer and the leader. We would be trying to utilize Agbonlahor's best attribute - speed - against a slower defender of an opponent (depending on situation that could be on either flank). Andy Cole, who scored 2nd most goals in the PL history, is the poacher in the team. Any sort of free kicks/corners, at least 2 (and possibly 3) of my CDs go forward with Cole, Keane and Agbonlahor to create all kinds of matchup problems for an opponent. If we need to score late in the game, my wingbacks move up, Tugay is pushed slightly upfield and the formation becomes 3-4-3.

Defense
    The priority is not allowing any space in our half and prevent fast breaks. Keane and Tugay should be all over opponents midfield, not giving any time on the ball. Clichy and Valencia track back and could get help from one of the CD moving to their side to avoid any 1 on 1 matchups against marquee players on the wings. Physical defending and tackling, not too concerned about giving up corners and free kicks in wide areas, as my team should have an aerial advantage.

Strengths
    Good balance of power and speed on the team. Each line has a world class player to lead it with a winning mentality and a lot of experience on biggest stages: Stam - in defense, Keane - in midfield, Rivaldo in attack. Abbiati is a proven GK. Great speed on the wings as Clichy and Valencia are some of the fastest players in their positions. We could be effective in fast breaks as well as long build-ups and should be winning most battles in the air both offensively and defensively.

Weaknesses
    We could be in trouble if we lose a ball against a fast team with both wingbacks far forward. If that's the case, Stam covers for Valencia and Southgate covers for Clichy with Keane and Tugay helping up the middle.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Line-up
    1) Tim Flowers (England - Goalkeeper)
    2) Dan Petrescu (Romania - Right-Back)
    3) Stig-Igne Bjornebye (Norway - Left-Back)
    4) Emmanuel Petit (France - Central Midfield Anchor)
    5) Markus Babbel (Germany - Centre-Back)
    6) Franco Baresi (Italy - Centre-Back)
    7) Georgi Kinkladze (Georgia - Playmaker/Attacking Midfielder)
    8) Robert Pires (France - Winger)
    9) Steve Stone (England - Winger/Box to box midfielder)
    10) Ruud Gullit (Holland - Hybrid between Striker and False 9)
    11) Brian Laudrup (Denmark - 'Free winger'/Support Forward)

Captain - Baresi
    Penalties - Gullit (plus Laudrup, Pires, Petit, Bjornebye in a Penalty Shoot-Out)
    Direct free-kicks - Gullit, Kinkladze, Bjornebye
    Indirect free-kicks - Kinkladze, Laudrup, Bjornebye, Petrescu
    (Often free-kicks will be taken quick and/or short however to create something in open play; if they are to be played into the box Babbel and Stone will likely be in there with Pires waiting for the ball to drop and Gullit as a target for the cross).
    Corners - Pires, Laudrup

Tactics
    The basic idea is to play a ground-based and free-flowing game with a positive outlook. The defenders are asked to be disciplined but all are to try to pick a pass unless in absolute danger and Petrescu and Bjornebye will often overlap and then aim a cross or pass to a team-mate. Petit will join in with the passing, and if he spots an opportinity to get forward like he did for the final goal in the '98 World Cup Final he is free to take it. Generally he is to be less ambitious than the other midfielders though and concentrate on making intelligent passes as well as interceptions and tackles. He may move into a wide position to cover a full-back who has gone forwards at times. Gullit is to be the main forward but he will usually look to receive the ball to feet, sometimes dropping pretty deep into midfield and leaving the centre-forward space vacant. He could also, if he feels it is necessary come back to help in midfield on the defensive side leaving Laudrup and maybe Pires ahead of him. Within the general gameplan of passing the ball around, there is room for players to use their individual skills and Laudrup and Kinkladze are especially encouraged to do this with as much imagination as possible. Whichever role Laudrup takes, he will be free to play all over the pitch; therefore he is given the same instructions Walter Smith gave him at Rangers that he enjoyed so much.

First-choice formation
    [​IMG]
    Make your football formation with this11.com
    Alternative 1 (to further liberate Pires and Laudrup and to an extent Kinkladze and to exploit the wide areas in attack more)
    [​IMG]
    Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics
    In this formation, Laudrup has an especially free role but lines up nominally to the right side with Pires lining-up as an attacking left-winger but also free to roam around as well as make runs into the box with the aim of scoring goals. Laudrup and Pires can switch sides if that is seen as beneficial but would retain their roles with Laudrup the one doing most of the roaming.
    Alternative 2 (ultra attacking option when either behind in the second half or when looking to take the game to the opposition with a flurry of attacks)
    [​IMG]
    Laudrup and Pires are shown on the opposite sides here but can also switch sides in this formation. They are to play from generally higher up the pitch while still getting involved in seeking the ball in the build-up as well as making runs down the wings or into the inside-forward channels to pick up through balls and occasionally knock-downs from Gullit.
    The style of play would be similar to in the other formations but with a higher tempo.

Republic of Mancunia and Stud83 repped this.
  8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Formation 4-3-2-1
    [​IMG]
    STRATEGY: Ince and Barry protect the midfield while Veron moves the ball around the field from the deep position. Two fullbacks provide the width on the attack. Okocha, Weah and Philips form a triangle attack upfront. This is very standard modern football strategy.

WEAKNESS: I drafted a midfield on a Man Utd forum that consists of a Manchester United flop (Veron), a “Judas” (Ince) and a Manchester City player (Barry). I have Tim Howard as my goalkeeper too. What was I thinking? :)

Defense: Carlos Gamarra was relatively underrated outside of the Serie A and South America. According to comme’s “100 Greatest Centerbacks” thread, he is 36th best ever centerback in history and around 5th best taken in the draft. I will pair him up with Alessandro Costacurta, another all-timer. Jose Bosingwa and Giovanni Van Bronkhorst will cover both flanks. They are expected to provide width in attack. They will go outside and cross, or go outside and shoot(especially for Van Bronkhorst who was known for his long distance strike)

Midfield: With Paul Ince and Gareth Barry, this midfield could be the best defensive midfield in the draft. Paul Ince will play as the menacing, ruthless enforcer in the midfield. His role is to sit back, to win the ball and to provide cover for Bosingwa and Van Bronkhorst when they make their overlaying runs. Gareth Barry will be the industrious, midfield utility man or the water carrier who fills all the holes on the team. His critics would say that Barry sucks at everything, but his fans would say that he is an all-round player who is good but not great in everything. When defending, his position sense is very good, and he will help Ince tremendously. Ince will also cover him when he gets caught by a fast players such as Mesut Ozil. He could drop back when Van Brockhorst makes the overlaying run. When attacking, he will show up where the team needs him the most. This season, he has showed the offensive side of the game. He is good at getting the pass quickly to the more creative player. Occasionally, he could cross, header and shoot. The team needs his good work rate and his all-round abilities.

Juan Sebastian Veron is the deep-lying playmaker who plays in front of the defensive line. He connects the defense and offense using wide ranges of short and long passes. Ince and Barry will create the pocket for Veron to operate. If you understand American Football, Veron is the quarterback while Ince and Barry serve as his guards.. At Manchester United, Juan Sebastian Veron is considered one of the biggest flops in history. However, the game of football has evolved since Veron’s days in the Premiership 9 years ago. Performances from Pirlo, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Modric, Schweinsteiger and Scholas in recent years have turned the deep-lying playmaker postion into the most-sought ever position in football and Veron is one of the best deep-lying playmakers in the last 20 years. If Veron is 26 years old now, he will still get the same record transfer, but his impact in the PL will be different.

Attack: The attack triangle consists of Jay-Jay Okocha, George Weah and Kevin Philips. My team united two of the greatest ever African players in history. Okocha will play behind the two strikers in the hole as the trequartista. His dazzling style will add flair to the attack. He will drop back to link up with the midfielders and wide to find space. He will also push forward when spaces open up(with two strikers, he should find the space). In front of him, Kevin Philips and George Weah will play “twin strikers“. Since both of them are very fast players, my team will be strong in counter-attack. Weah is one of the best attackers during the PL era. Known for his powerful physique, amazing dribbling skills and sharp finishing, Weah will be the main scoring threat. Philips is probably the weak link on the team, but at his peak, he was one of the most productive goal-scorers in the PL and the only European Golden Shoe winner from the league. He will also benefit from crosses from Bosingwa and Van Bronkhorst.

Republic of Mancunia, Stud83 and Umar repped this.
  9. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Formation: 4-1-2-1-2

[​IMG]

Line Up
    1 Carlo Cudicini
    2 Stephen Carr
    3 Gabriel Heinze
    4 Giorgio Chiellini
    5 David Batty
    6 Di Matteo
    8 Xavi (c)
    18 Ray Parlou
    10 Rafael van der Vaart
    9 Dwight Yorke
    11 Samuel Eto'o

Attack:
    With a strong prescence in central midfiled Xavi will look to control the game, dictating the play while feeding the ball to the attacking options infront of him, Xavi's only responsibility is to play in a typical Xavi role ala Barcelona.

van der Vaart will be given a free role behind the strikers allowing him to move forward from a high midfield position making runs into the box or out wide depending on the position of the two strikers at the time, his goal will be stretch the two centrebacks by causing marking problems along with Yorke and Eto'o while also providing an effective attacking option himself. He will be free choice to shoot from range (as demonstrated on many occasions including Portugal vs Holland) preventing the opposition from allowing him too much space, which will hopefully in turn result in space for the Strikers.

Eto'o and Yorke will attempt to play in a similar vein to the Yorke and Cole strikeforce of '99 with two exceptionally skillful strikers with great finishing and vision working together a high conversion rate of the chances provided is surely to occur, the pace provided by Eto'o will put pressure and cause problems for any centreback and players like Xavi and van der Vaart will attempt to take advantage of this by threading through balls for him to run onto should the oppurtunity arise.

Parlour and Di Matteo's job in this midfield is of a more supportive/defensive mind, Parlour will attempt to make passing options for the other midfielders, utilising his workhouse style of play he provides industry and grit, his great tackling ability gives balance to the midfield allowing the ball to be won back from the opposition with ease, leaving it to the likes of Xavi and vdV to weave their magic.
    Of the two fullbacks Carr will be given a full attacking/supportive role allowing him to bomb down the right wing to add width to the attack and the chance to put in a great cross for Yorke to show his ariel ability, Batty on the other hand will only push up to add minor width and to stop attacks before the get too far into the defensive half.

Defense:
    Chiellini will play the role of the physical hustling defender, utilizing his strength, pace and physical awareness to break down attacks and challenge opposition strikers, he will be given the role of focusing on the main targetman/striker of opposition teams in an attempt to cancel them out of the game. Heinze will play a more Rioesque role (as much as possible) with Chiellini thought of as a faster, more intelligent and less rash Vidic.

Strengths:
    The attacking third is key to this side, with the two strikers and two attacking minded midfielders the priority will be to stretch opposition defences and create chances with killer balls provided by all the skillful passers, Xavi dictating the play and with the options available many a chance should occur, preventing opposition teams from focusing on their own attacks.
    Weakness:
    Due to the focus on the midfield there is a relative lack of width in the midfield that could be exploited by traditional wingers or attacking minded fullbacks. Batty is also a potential stumbling point of the team, known for rather rash tackles and slightly out of position extra attention with an attempt to cover for him must be given by the centrebacks.

10. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Formation 4-4-2

[​IMG]

Attack: Rui Costa will be the trequartista behind the 2 strikers and be given a free role to roam around to wherever there is space. No need to explain Inzaghi. The main way of playing would be very narrow and to try and overrun opponents in the centre of the pitch. The width in attack would come from the fullbacks, maybe a design flaw but i have watched Milan play without a winger for the past decade, kind of like Italy in the most recent Euros play 4 in a strong but narrow midfield and try and dictate from there.

Defence: Nesta is in it...swag.

Strengths: Central area

Weaknesses: Width, Santon is possibly the most doubtful pick of the team but i believe he has done enough in his shortish career to be considered an asset rather than a liability.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Formation
    broken lines indicate covering responsibilities
    solid lines indicate likely areas for making runs, carrying the ball

Fernando Hierro (c)

[​IMG]

Cliff Notes

We’ll keep the ball on the ground 95% of the time. We’ll defend as a unit with Gilberto Silva responsible for screening the defence and Hierro responsible for organizing the backline. Pirlo runs the show, Klinsmann, Kaka, Ljungberg and Robert will form a fluid unit that is responsible for moving off the ball to allow for the quick-tempo play to succeed and also responsible for pressing up the pitch to ensure quick turnovers.

Should it come to penalties. We win. Every time.

Game Plan

Our team is designed to play tight possession football, controlling the game by controlling the ball.

Pirlo is the lynchpin in our midfield, he is surrounded by players who are good on the ball. Hierro and Lundekvam are both very good on the ball, the Spaniard though will be the primary distributor from the back. In midfield, Gilberto who is an excellent short passer will keep things simple and defer to Pirlo when possible.

Freddy and Kaka will be the primary links between midfield and Klinsmann. They basically have free roles once we have possession. Ljungberg can and will drift inside, Kaka has freedom to roam the channels as well as to drop deep and get in passing triangles near the center circle.

Of our midfielders, Robert will be the player who will join the attack as soon as we win possession. He will alternate between hugging the touchline and looking for room in the channel between the RB and the RCB. When he gets room inside 30 yards, he will shoot. When he gets past his man, he’ll be looking most times for the early ball towards Klinsmann. On occasion, he’ll look to pick out Kaka or Pirlo at the top of the box.

We expect that the kombination of Klinsmann and Kaka should yield fruit. In any case, Jurgen will look to get beyond the last defender when it is feasible to do so and at other times he will hold up the ball allowing members of the “3” to advance beyond him. He’s very dangerous with his back to goal and we expect that given the close attention he will receive from CBs, that he will draw some freekicks.

When we have retained possession for several passes, and one of our fullbacks gets into the final third and our midfielders join the attack (Pirlo will never make runs into the box, but on occasion he’ll approach the edge) Gilberto Silva will effectively make a third CB as he drops back and the defence pushes up. It will make the CBs man-markers and prevent most long balls from being successful as strikers will be closely marked and closed by a helper instantly.

When we’re in possession and finding it difficult to gain ground, Silva will drop very deep, alongside the CBs and if and when Hierro sees the opportunity he will carry the ball forward. In situations when that happens, Pirlo will effectively become the DM in front of the CBs and under no circumstance will both fullbacks advance into the enemy third if Hierro is up the pitch.

On occasions when we win the ball and either Kaka or Robert is up in a position to support Klinsmann, then Heirro or Pirlo have license to hit the long ball, but this is a tactic that will mostly be deployed to ensure that teams do not try to push up too far and press.

In defending situations, Hierro is the organizer and leader of the backline. He will be supported ably by Lundekvam, his fullbacks and of course Gilberto Silva. In our 4231 shape, everyone will be asked to do their part. Each of the 3 and Klinsmann will be asked to press the ball if we lose it in opposition territory. Pirlo if he’s in the opposition third will do the same. If the opposition breaks the press, we will fall back into our half and defend in a more traditional manner.

Back up plan

If we trail late in the game, Silva drops back to auxiliary CB, Hierro plays like a sweeper and the fullbacks become wingbacks. Pirlo is the new DM and he'll be helped by Ljungberg who will be asked to do double duty as a CM and as a RM. To help out, Kaka who will still have a pretty free role, will be pushed more towards the right. Robert's instructions are virtually unchanged.

Set Pieces

In-swinging corners
    Pirlo/Robert

Short FKs
    Pirlo

Long FKs
    Robert/Pirlo

Penalties

Pirlo
    Klinsmann
    Kaka
    Hierro
    Silva

Weaknesses

Some will point to Claus as a weakness in our team. I'd say, for sure, he's one of the weaker players. However, given our intent to play possession football, to press and the situations that we will try to manufacture, he will be in a comfortable position at most times. This is due in part to how we expect teams to try and attack us, given our pressing game and because we've got a security blanket in Gilberto Silva screening the CBs and a vocal keeper in Coupet and the vast experience of Hierro next to Claus.

Our fullbacks are not Roberto Carlos and Cafu. But for what we expect of them: hard work, restraint and the occasional overlap, they'll do just fine. Facing a winger who has the better of him, we'll ask them to insult his mother, sister(s) and threaten the life of his dog, whilst shirt pulling, pinching and calling him names. We'll ask them to show such wingers to the flank, where they can hit crosses for Hierro and Lundekvam to laugh at deal with.

Strengths

Hair. Not a single questionable hairdo among our players. But seriously, we've put together a group of players known for stepping up in difficult situations. Starting with Hierro, our captain, and continuing with the likes of Silva, Pirlo, Parker, Kaka and Klinsmann we have players who are overwhelmingly resolute even in difficult situations.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    FC SZB est 2012

[​IMG]

Team Captain: Gary Speed
    Direct Set pieces: Ronaldinho Gaucho
    Indirect Set pieces: Ronaldinho Gaucho, David Silva [for inswingers]
    Cornerkick takers: Ronaldinho Gaucho, David Silva [for inswingers]
    Penalty kick taker: Ronaldinho Gaucho

The basic idea is to replicate SAF best teams attributes, which consists the following traits

1) Technically good to excellent pacy forward who is good enough a scorer, his basic function is not just scoring but to be a threat overall, stretch play, link up, run behind and even take a pop from distance with his dangerous shooting range. Also someone who can easily rotate positions in a fluid formation.

2) Extremely dangerous wing forwards who play dually by being playmakers but also putting up numbers individually. These individuals can take the game away from the opposition any moment and usually need the attention of 3/4 opponents, they also need their own plans how to be stopped.

3) An extremely creative playmaker who can work himself all over the field specially in the wings to make it a fluid unit when Ronaldinho or Messi eventually drift centrally.

4) A midfield whose job isnt just to destroy and sit there holding hands, a midfield which is pretty capable of attacking and defending, a midfield which can hold its own against any kind of football, technical and physical. A midfield that can function in any situation.

5) A defense that doesnt leak goals at all and is extremely comfortable with the ball at their feet, each one of these can take the ball out of their area without hoofing it, a defensive that is versatile and able to cover each other.

So how does that work in terms of players picked.

Attacking
    This is a team that is capable of keeping possession and playing at a high tempo of attacking technical football, the idea is the ability to hit the opponent with so many different but lethal attacking arrows that it is constantly on the backfoot figuring out who is where and who was marking who. Who was left alone and where did he come from.

An extremely fluid attacking line up in which 5 have the ability to go anywhere and do any role, in Saha, Messi, Ronaldinho David Silva and Jack Wilshere, leaving aside their individual brilliance to open up any defense their ability to create by combining is a huge potential for any manager who might have been lucky to have such a glitering pair of individuals, with the two best players of the last 20 years. David Silva from the initial formation helps links midfield to attack, but Messi and Ronaldinho will also, at times drop in and receive possession

Imagine Saha playing as a foil for Ronaldinho and Lionel Messi and in other instant, Messi being the false 9 and Saha stretching the defense with his pace and power while Ronaldino acts as the 10 and Silva takes the other flank, lets imagine again with Ronaldino being the false 9 and Saha lurking in the wing doing what the German team asks of Podolski to be a goal threat from a position that is free because of the attention given to the attacker and the 10 and the winger, while David Silva acts as the 10 and Messi acts as the wingforward. You can do this all day, keep combining keep changing, keep finding different avenues of attack and that is the biggest dilemma of an opposition, to understand what these players are going to pull off next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said this was all without taking in care Wilshere ability to run with the ball and find people in great positions, and Gary Speed and Steve Watson. Gary Speed ability to box to box is another advantage to this attack, he has afterall scored 98 goals in the EPL top flight ( a few of them scored before 92) I think 10 more than Beckham got in every competition in his time in England, Speed scored 134 goals in his career only 20 less than Paul Scholes 11 less than Michael Ballack despite playing for some just decent teams towards the end of the his career.

And what of Steve Watson, one of the most versatile players to play in the league, he played everywhere and when this team attacks he either joins the midfield or sprints to provide Messi width, what of Watson attacking ability, well one season Everton had no one fit enough to play upfront he played there not forgetting he started as a striker at Newcastle before converting to defense.

Him joining the attack theory is supplemented by the 3 excellent defenders who can play with the ball and even attack with it, in Pallister, Colocini and Abidal we have no lack of ability pace or positional awarness, there fantastic defenders who can themselves have a go in a rotating and free system.

Defense
    The idea is possession based football so you would have the majority of the ball thus reducing the opposition threats, doesnt matter how blood and thunder they are, we got players capable of holding the ball. Infact most of our players and even the subsitute John Barnes is extremely comfortable with the ball at their feet and dont have the tendency to give it away.

Apart of that, the defense has pace and ability, Abidal Pallister Colocinni and Watson can hold it up against any attack, aerially, on the ground, in behind, we arent likely getting beaten.
    We got a good goal keeper, while not great but extremely reliable, at 6'6 very comfortable with crosses, a good shot stopper and a very big reason for Villarreal excellent period.

The midfield two are extremely hard working, got good positioning and arent afraid to have a tackle or two, they can cover for the wingforwards who arent that fond of tracking back but Silva likes to work hard and so does Saha. Having said that, we plan to put immediate pressure on the ball if it ever turns over. If the game is going as we plan, the opposition would have a hard time getting out of their half.

The defense like attack is flexible, it could match opponents tactical plan if needing to, Watson could go to the DM position and we can use a sweeper system for which Pallister is an excellent candidate.

Part of our defensive strategy is the threat of our offense. I cant imagine many teams sending their fullbacks forward at every chance, with Messi or Ronaldinho lurking. Also the threat of Saha's pace and power will help keep their defenders honest.

Strengths
    We got an excellent attack going for us, a flexbile fast technical attack, of which each player is a menace in itself, they can tear teams individually as well as collectively, infact each one of the 4 is that good that he may need a plan specially designed for himself to contain, imagine having 4-5 such players who could score assists in number of ways, in Ronaldinho we got an unpredictable genius who can do whatever he wants, he also takes the freekicks and creates something extra ordinary like against Chelsea when he puts the ball under the wall. In Saha we got a perfect 9 specimen, he makes a team so much better with his presence and ability it was unfortunate that he had a career blighted with injuries. Then we got Messi, the best dribbler football have seen in some time (Nani may argue) excellent creator scorer, its kind of pointless explaining how good he is. Then we got a traditional creator in David Silva, a winger/am combo player who can open up defense with predictable excellence and that is difficult on its own. He can also help with retention of possession, working with his midfield duo, to keep the ball, and move it quickly to feet.

Joining them in attack Speed and Wilshere, a complete midfield player and a young prodigy who is also an excellent creator in himself and a fiery character. With Gary Speed, we have a midfielder who is very good at making lake runs into the box, and scoring with his head and both feet among other things. Also a very inspirational leader.

We got an excellent defense ready to face any challenge and a very comfortable keeper, someone the defense can trust in, we got pace, height aerial ability and excellent reading of the game by our defense ( oh and some last ditch stuff too, Watson Colocini).

Weakness
    Would have liked someone who is more defensively aware and had a presence than David Silva in midfield but his defensive weakness is covered by his ability not to give up the ball and hard work. Would have liked a better fullback than Watson but he wouldnt have gotten such a versatile player if we didnt pick him who played 400 top flight league games for very good clubs. Whiile we do not have a dedicated dmid, we play with two central midfield players who cover a lot of ground, and who can help win back possession, and press. We avoided problems the Dutch National team [among other teams who use a double pivot] in which if their two pivots are seeing a lot of the ball, they can also have an impact offensively when it comes to moving the ball along quickly, or even taking the ball forward themselves, or in Speed's case, making a forward run in the space left behind when Ronaldinho or Messi draw in markers.

They will not be liabilities in possession, like De Jong and Van Bommel were.

To help reduce any impact or threat as far as our weakness is concerned, we plan to pressure the opposition, the moment the ball comes close to the halfway line. We also plan on keeping the lines between defense and midfield, and midfield and attack compact vertically, and in terms of the width. Also meaning, we are playing a high line, and relying our Diego Lopez to be on his toes in case he needs to come out of his area, playing sweeper keeper.

Republic of Mancunia, Umar and Stud83 repped this.
  13. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

1 top goalkeeper
    3 solid defenders
    1 defensive midfielder
    4 attacking midfielders
    1 support striker
    1 striker..

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Tactics: A forceful (direct) passing game.

The defence is set up to be difficult to penetrate, with 3 strong centre backs, and Emerson in front spoiling any play trying to exploit holes, and tracking runners if one of the centre backs gets pulled out of position (as well as distributing to his fellow midfielders\attackers).

The rest of the midfield and forward line will take advantage of the immense talents of Michael Laudrup, Bergkamp and Romario to rip the opposition to shreds, with supporting roles by Juninho terrorising the the left side (wide and cutting in), Vucevic patrolling from the right, and Poyet working hard in both directions.

14. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Players

Edwin van der Sar: An exceptionally safe pair hands between the sticks, and for a goalkeeper good with the ball at his feet too. One of the very best goalkeepers during the period under consideration who is highly respected and regarded by fans of all the teams he played for, and by many whose teams he didn't play for as well.

Gary Neville: Another player who is right up there in terms of the best players in his position during the timeframe of the draft and was righfully voted onto the Premier League 20 years team as being the best right-back. Very solid defensively and good at offering support in attack with a good cross from deep on him.

Fernando Couto: Uncompromising central defender who was also a keen reader of the game. He's the second most-capped Portuguese footballer in international football and won doubles in Portugal, Spain and Italy with Porto, Barcelona and Lazio respectively. Also won three European trophies during his career.

Sol Campbell: Physically gifted, Campbell was tall, strong, and in his heyday, quick. This meant he was good in the air, but also, combined with his excellent tackling skills meant that he was very difficult to beat on-one-one. A key part of Arsenal's "invincibles" season, he played in 35 of the 38 league matches.

John Arne Riise: Hard-working left back who always willling to run and help support the attack, sometimes even lead it! He had good stamina levels, drive, decent pace, and possessed a rocket of a left-footed, all of which is refected in the goalscoring column.

Dietmar Hamann: Reliable and solid defensively-minded central midfielder who was also comfortable on the ball. Hamann could win a tackle or make an interception before playing an accurate pass to a teammate, keeping the midfield ticking over nicely. He's another with an impressive long-range shot on him.

Edgar Davids: Nicknamed "the pitbull" by Louis van Gaal, and described by Marcello Lippi as his "one-man engine room", Davids was a real dynamo of a player. Blessed with insane levels of stamina he was also fond of a tackle or two. He possessed very high levels of agility and a quick burst of acceleration which hed use to either quickly close down opponents when not in possession or surge away from them when in it.

Gaizka Mendieta: A two-time European midefielder of the year winner during his days with Valencia, Mendieta had a real eye for a pass. He was primarily a central midfielder who could also play as side midfielder (not to be confused with winger), an attacking midfielder, or could drift into those areas. He's another with good stamina levels and wouldn't shirk his defensive responsibilities either. Good on free-kicks, penalties and one more with long-range shooting ability.

Gary McAllister: A cultured, attack-minded central midfield player who played as a winger in his early days. He had an eye for a goal, could pick his passes nicely and shares many of the dead-ball skillset with Mendieta but in his case you can throw in corners too!

Roberto Mancini: Whilst he started his career all the way back in the 1982-83 season Mancini still had plenty to give during the Premier League era. He was 27 years old at the inception of the league and had some of highest goalscoring season during this period, including his best two. Very good dribbler and a real trickster who could score and create playing as an attacking midfielder, support srtiker or central striker. He's a Sampdoria legend who was known for his leadership qualities and it's no surprise he went on to become a manager.

Patrick Kluivert: Burst onto the scene by scoring the winning goal in the 1995 Champions League final as a teenager. Didn't perhaps fulfill all his promise but still had a very nice career playing for the likes of Ajax, AC Milan and Barcelona. All-time top goalscorer for the Netherlands in international football and on his day could be the "complete" striker. Well-rounded player.

The Formation

4-4-2 Diamond (4-1-2-1-2)
    [​IMG]

The Tactics

With the ball: With 4 midfielders playing quite narrowly, and with the addition of Mancini who likes to drop deep, the aim is to primarily play patient possession football and pick our opportunities when they arise. We outnumber many, if not all of the sides in the draft in the midfield area, (particularly when Mancini joins it) and the midfield has players who are comfortable on the ball and should be able to facilitate such a strategy. We'll hopeully see opponents wearing themselves out through constantly chasing. The team will mostly be looking to feed balls through to Kluivert and Mancini as the two main golascoring threats.

We are not completely devoid of width and it presents itself firstly in the form of Gary Neville and John Arne Riise, and secondarily with Edgar Davids and a combination of Gary McAllister and Gaizka Mendieta who will all be encouraged to drift there on occasion.

We'll normally be looking for the side to establish themselves on the ball before either Neville or Riise get forward, playing a support role from wide. Gary Neville was vey accomplished at this and showed it with with his great link-up play with David Beckham. All that said, we do have energy and a desire to attack the left wing with more pace due to the Riise/Davids combo, the latter of whom can either drift wide or drive into an inside-left position. With Hamann covering, we can and will pick our moments to launch that charge of the light brigade up the left third of the field on occasion.

Here's a couple of videos showcasing Davids and Riise getting forward on the left/in the inside left area:

Back to the possession football, and I think the side can really hurt others when Mancini drifts deep, McAllister already being in the area between defence and midfield and Mendieta joins in too. We'll be looking to cause confusion as to whether defenders or midfielders should be picking these players up and trying to pull people out of position.

We have a good few players with an impressive shot on them from distance so if all else fails we can ask Riise, Hamann, Mendieta or to an extent McAllister to "have a dig". The same players give the team a good choice of free-kick takers, the "three M's" (McAllister, Mendieta, Mancini) were all good penalty takers so we're all set for dead-ball situations too.

Without the ball

Even though the team is set up with a narrow-diamond midfield we are not looking to fully surrender the flanks. It's true that there will be space there intitally, however it will be the job of Davids or Mendieta to get across and press.

When the ball is wide against a 4-4-2 (and for example Davids is covering), the fact that Hamann is there and Mendieta will be tucked in nice and narrowly means they can pick up opposing CMs. Neville picks up the other flanker should he pushed right on, and if McAllister drops in too then we have a spare man in the middle of the pitch. If the ball is switched from flank-to-flank McAllister should have the time to get back in there and help in the middle with Mendieta providing assistance to Neville.

Against teams that play a central midfield 3 in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 McAllister's job is to find the DM when the ball is wide. Again Davids would cover (on that particular flank), Hamann and Mendieta pick up the CMs.

Davids and Mendieta will also be asked to pick up opposing full backs should they come forward and at the correct time pass opposition wingers on to my full backs.

When the ball is central and I'm defending we've got good numbers in there. If teams employing a slow build up then even Mancini will be excpected to do some work, funneling back into AM area, possibly dropping onto a DM which gives McAllister more encouragement to go back himself or even showing slightly towards the right back to give him something to think about if he was contemplating moving forwards.

I believe that both my central defenders played mostly at RCB during their careers and there's a reason for picking Sol Campbell at LCB. It's down to my full backs where it's fair to say that Riise is the more attack-minded of him and Neville. Gary Neville was certainly competent going forward too, but it's Riise who is probably more likely to be caught out of position with Neville being the more defensively sound of the pair. It's largely for this reason that I've chosen to play Sol Campbell at LCB. In his prime he was quick even if he did take a little time to get up to full speed (time he'll have if he's to sprint across to the LB area). In the rundown of my players, I've mentioned Campbell's one-on-one defending and I think it could be important here.

Here's an older, slower, weaker and arguably past-it Sol doing some of the kind of things he might be called into action to do at times (with emphasis on the clips where he's defending on-on-one or sweeping out wide):

The backline also has Gary Neville to come round on the cover into the middle should Campbell have to vacate his position, something he was very good at for a full back. Remember Sir Alex Ferguson saying that Neville would be the best centre half in Britian if he was an inch or two taller?

With Riise being perhaps the more vulnerable of the two full backs we also have Davids on his side. Davids is a box-to-box midfielder to some, a defensive midfielder to others. Either way, he's probably more defensive than Mendieta in the minds of most and he will also offer help there. Hamann can obviously help there too, sweeping across from DM.

Alternative formations
    [​IMG]

The 4-2-3-1 is something we can arguably play. It gives the back 4 more protection by virtue of Davids playing as a DM instead of a CM. I've put 2 looks up there, both the same apart from the fact that Davids and Hamann are switched. Davids left, Hamann right we'd use for teams with traditional wide men. If a side was playing with inverted wide players, were cutting across the front of our DMs and causing us trouble then I can swap them around to ensure that the ball carrier is running towards both of my DMs strongest (tackling) foot. If we were playing that formation against a side with one traditional wide player, one inverted we'd make a decision to try and neutralise the strongest threat.

That formation isn't ideal for us going forward but I feel we can get away with it. McAllister did play as a winger sometimes (see his wiki) so should be able to drift wide/swap positions. Mendieta was keen on getting forward into AM kind of areas, and Mancini liked to play in behind a front man. We can make that work.

[​IMG]

My side's version of the 4-3-2-1. We can have have Mendieta more advanced than Davids/Hamann as shown in the pic or play them as a flat 3. McAllister or Mendieta could even swap positions there, or if wanting one deeper CM with two slightly higher ones we can swap Hamann for Mendieta, and push the German back into a more defensive role.

When it all comes down to it, the team can play just about any variant of 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 that you can think of as long as the midfield is narrow. 4-1-3-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-2-2-2 (at a pinch), 4-2-1-2-1 etc. etc.

Strengths

Good on the ball, numbers in the middle of the field, decent amount of goalscoring threat, long range shot specialists, plenty of free kick, corner and penalty taker options.

Weaknesses

Were not the fastest, tallest or strongest to be fair, particularly when we're attacking. Whilst I have tried to cover it, the team may struggle for width at times both in attack and defence. I would ideally have gone for more of a pronounced "silk and steel" CB partnership.

Summary

We're stronger through the middle , weaker out wide. Remember that the goals are positioned centrally!

PS

Just want to put up this video of Roberto Mancini as I think he was player who some might not have seen too much of. This is exclusively of his time at Lazio so as to definitely not include any footage of his pre Premier League era career. He was better still at Sampdoria from 92-97, winning Serie A and Italian player of the year in his final season in Genoa.

benni... and Umar repped this.
  15. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

[​IMG]

Team Tactics:
    General:
    TLDR: Sit relatively deep, and control possession with a narrow and technically brilliant midfield and get enough goals from Ronaldo and Adebayor to win it. Concede rarely since my team dominates the ball and good center halves. The closest thing would be Spain in 2010 when they played with Torres (Adebayor) up front, relied on the wide striker Villa (Ronaldo) for goals and their midfield quartet dominated possession. Win 1-0 when you only play okay. Otherwise win by more.

My team can dominate the midfield by virtue of the intelligence, tackling and passing of Makelele and Xabi Alonso and the ability of Hagi and Valero to receive passes and link play. Cristiano Ronaldo can turn that dominance into goals. Adebayor is a solid all-around striker who occupies centre backs while still scoring at a very healthy rate. Gilberto is dangerous going forward down the left side from fullback and Naybet was a real threat from set pieces. Arbeloa keeps the ball very well, but will mostly look to play into Hagi, Alonso and Valero's feet so they can create chances.

Offensively:
    If the other team pushes forward, Alonso and Makelele's ability to win the ball and make clever passes (devastating longer ones in Alonso's case) and Hagi and Valero's excellent incisive passing should create numerous chances for Ronaldo to run at terrified defences.

If the other team tries to sit deep to stop Ronaldo from getting in behind, they'll have to deal with Valero, Gilberto and Hagi crossing the ball to Ronaldo and Adebayor, two excellent aerial targets. Alonso's ability to spray the ball around will help create width.

Defensively:
    Naybet was an exzellent man-marker, while Carragher developed into a great sweeping defender in behind. Having Makelele and Alonso protecting your back 4 is about as good as it gets. Arbeloa is maybe the best defensive fullback in the world, but Gilberto is, for this draft, average in that respect, so Makelele and Naybet will look to help him.

If I'm worried about a winger and fullback giving Gilberto or Arbeloa trouble by overloading that side, I can play Ronaldo on that wing and pin back the fullback or, if they're crazy enough, give him space to profit in behind. Either way, it means teams will mostly only want to attack hard down whatever side Ronaldo isn't on, and that can mostly be Arbeloa's, and he's a rock.

Likely Formation Changes:
    -Shifting Ronaldo from left to right against weaker teams, with Hagi tucking in more and Gilberto providing width on the left.
    -I doubt any team will overload the middle as much as I do, but if so , a diamond with Hagi up top, Makelele at the base and Alonso and Valero on the sides would be effective.

Weaknesses:
    1. Ronaldo is a 1 in 1 scorer and Adebayor has been 1 in 2 in England, but apart from that, there's not a ton of goals in the team. Hagi got a ton in Turkey (59 in 132) but was about 1 in 4 in Spain and for his national team. Valero and Gilberto are good for another 5 or so a season in their prime, but Alonso only 2 or 3 and Carrager, Arbeloa and Makelele rarely score. We're still talking about a team that, at their prime rates, would be good for 90-100 goals over a 38 game season, but that's probably only average for this draft, and if Ronaldo has a bad game, goals could be hard to come by. Might only need one with Makelele and Alonso in front of a solid back 4 and the possession skills in the rest of the team (including Barthez), though.

2. Defensively, Gilberto was average and Carragher, like a lot of good Prem defenders, isn't exactly Usain Bolt in terms of pace.

3. Not a lot of width offensively, though I think that's massively overrated in general, and Ronaldo and Gilberto will provide a fair amount of it anyways. Defensively, though, a team with 2 great fullbacks could do well going forward on the side Ronaldo doesn't play on.

Player Profiles:
    Striker - Emmanuel Adebayor
    A handful of a centre forward, a good passer and hold-up player and has scored 78 goals in 151 appearances, better than a 1 in 2 rate. 2008 African Footballer of the Year. PFA Team of the Year in 07. Finished 4th in goals and 4th in assists In the Prem last year, a feat only accomplished this decade by Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo (more on him in a minute), Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Adebayor. Inconsistent, in that he's sometimes unplayable.

Wing Forward - Cristiano Ronaldo
    Ballon D'or winner. Along with Messi, the best goalscorer in the draft. 146 goals in 144 games for Madrid. Probably had the best season in the history of the Prem. You're all familiar with him.

Right Attacking Midfield - Gheorge "The Maradona of the Carpathians" Hagi
    The greatest Romanian footballer of all time and top scorer for their national side. Starred for Barcelona and Romania in 1994, and was named in the Team of the Tournament for that World Cup. Then he went to Turkey, scored 59 goals in 132 appearances and led his team to the 2000 UEFA cup. Definitely one of the most skilled players in the draft.

Attacking Midfield - Borja Valero
    Named Spanish Player of the Year in 2010 by Don Balon, ahead of Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso and others. Probably an exaggeration, but he'd just dragged an average Mallorca side to 5th place in La Liga. 22 assists in 3 years since returning to La Liga. A brilliant passer, denied further fame by virtue of being a Spanish midfielder and thus having the above names picking up caps. Played once for Spain, for 20 minutes and got an assist with a picture-perfect through ball. Described by Santi Cazorla as a "spectacular footballer," he works very hard and is technically excellent, though only an average goalscorer.

Central Midfield - Xabi Alonso
    One of the great passing midfielders of this, or any, era. So good he's been shoved into the Iniesta-Xavi-Busquets midfield for Spain, for whom he has played 102 times. Has won the Champions League, World Cup, 2 European Cups and La Liga. When he left Sociedad they went from competing for the title to fighting relegation. When he left Liverpool, they went from competing for the title to mid-table obscurity.

Defensive Midfield - Claude Makelele
    The best defensive midfielder of his generation. Hierro described his value thusly: "He's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real." Mourinho named him as Chelsea's Player of the Year the season they set a Premiership record with 95 points. he missed out on individual awards since he doesn't score goals, but was named in the 2005 FIFpro World XI. Won the Champions League, La Liga twice and the Prem twice, as well as Ligue 1 and a bunch of cups. 71 Caps for the French team.

Right Back - Alvaro Arbeloa
    An excellent defensive fullback and short passer. 41 caps and counting for the greatest national team ever. Also played 119 times for Real Madrid the last 3 years. Has won 2 Euros (one as starter) and a World Cup, La Liga and the Copa Del Rey. Not a brilliant player going forward, but probably the world's most reliable defensive right back and has kept his place at Madrid and for Spain with little fuss. Recently seems to have raised his game, illustrated by his brilliant lockdown defensive performance against Cristiano Ronaldo in the Euro 2012 Semi-Finals.

Left Back - Gilberto
    35 Caps for Brazil at Left-Back, during the Roberto Carlos era. Apart from the Spanish Midfield, I'm not sure there's a tougher position to break into in the draft. Probably the Bundesliga's best attacking fullback for several years at Herta Berlin, scoring 5 goals in 04/05 and 6 in 06//07. Never a great defender, but a solid one who also filled in at defensive midfield when his team had injury problems. Went to Tottenham at the age of 32 and struggled, but regained his form enough to get back into the Brazil team at the age of 34.

Center Back - Nourredine Naybet
    Arguably the greatest African defender of all time. 115 Caps for Morocco. Pursued by Real Madrid, but Deportivo wouldn't sell him within Spain. Naybet was Deportivo's best defender in the most successful period in their history, including a La Liga win and famous Champions league run. John Toschak, former Real Madrid, Deportivo, Real Sociedad and Sporting manager, rates Naybet as the best defender under his management.

Center Back - Jamie Carragher
    2006 PFA Team of the Year. An excellent center-back in his prime, although clearly a level below Terry and Ferdinand. Brilliant tackler and leader.

Keeper - Fabien Barthez
    Arguably the best shot-stopper in the draft and one of the better passing goalies as well. Oliver Kahn, in 2004 said that "From what Barthez has done with Les Bleus for the last few years it must be recognized he is the best. I have not seen him make the least mistake." Though many United fans will remember him making mistakes, there's no question he'll go down as an all-time great.

Named as Best keeper in Europe twice by France Foot (98,00). Got most Ballon D'or Votes of any keeper those two years as well. Also nominated for the Ballon D'or 3 other times (01, 04, 06) Most capped French Keeper ever. Voted Best Keeper at the 1998 World Cup. Starting Keeper for a World Cup winning Team (98) European Cup winning team (2000) Champions League winning team (Shut out Milan in the final), 2 EPL Champions, 2 Ligue 1 titles.

A few videos you will enjoy, on mute and with whatever songs you like in the background:
    1. Xabi Alonso with one of the best passing halves I've ever seen:

2. Hagi being lovely

3. Valero passing the ball like a Spaniard and dominating a game

4. All of Ronaldo's 42 goals for United in 2007-08

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    [​IMG]

Captain: Mascherano
    FKs: Drogba, Zidane, Baines (on the left)

I'm not going to go through a description of my players - I think everyone knows who they are. I will mention that Ferrer is probably less well known, but he was the starter on Cruyff's dream team in the 90s and was very good for Chelsea until injuries ended his career prematurely.

Tactics: This is going to be somewhat similar to the Chelsea 4-3-3 in Mourinho's first year, with Mascherano in the Makelele role, Baraja in the Tiago role (that Essien would later occupy) and Zidane in the Lampard role (which is just a bit of an improvement). Zidane will obviously orchestrate the midfield, Baraja will operate as a box to box player while Mascherano will hold and distribute (though not deep). Robinho will do his best Robben impersonation, while Lovenkrands will just be told to make a nuisance of himself. Drogba was picked for a very specific reason; he's obviously not the most prolific striker in the EPL's history, but he's one of the most difficult to deal with, because he occupies so many defenders. He will bother the center forwards enough to create chances for Robinho, Lovenkrands and the rest of the midfield.
    The defense is notable for being quick and good on the ball, not necessarily the most physically overpowering. That's by design - there aren't any sides here that are based on power, so there's no need for a Terry-like defender. Rio and Agger are comfortable on the ball and tracking runs, which is what they'd need to do. Baines is much more offensive than Ferrer, so will push up a lot more, and Mascherano will shade over to that side.
    Style of play: Like that Chelsea side, we'll do a lot of playing on the counter, where Zidane, Baraja, Robinho on the wings and Drogba are especially dangerous.

Republic of Mancunia and Stud83 repped this.
  17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Nominal formation: 3-5-2 (may be interpreted as a 3-1-3-1-2)

Captain: Tony Adams

GK: Gigi Buffon
    RCB: Lilian Thuram
    CB: Tony Adams
    LCB: Nemanja Vidic
    LWB: Lee Sharpe
    RWB: Dennis Irwin
    DCM: Nicky Butt
    CM: Robert Lee
    ACM: Cesc Fabregas
    Striker: Les Ferdinand
    Striker: Fabrizio Ravanelli

Summary:

The typical formation would be a

Defence:

The defence on this team is by far its strongest attribute and will be used as a key foundation. The back three of Adams, Thuram and Vidic are characterized by immense physical and aerial prowess with not a single team in this draft being able to bully them. In addition to this, the 3 of them all possess underarted positional awareness and ball playing ability paired with elegance, most notably in the cases of Thuram and Adams. Therefore, Adams will be provided the most responsibility in terms of distrbuting from the back. Their one potential weakness of overall pace, especially in the case of Vidic, will be mitigated by the 3 playing as a relatively deep line. They will also receive a lot of protection from Butt, who will look to drop in cover for Thuram and Vidic in times where they are drawn out further wide to compensate for Sharpe and Irwin being caught further up the pitch.

Width on the team will primarily be provided by Sharpe, who played as both a LW and LB for United and Irwin. Both players have the work rate, desire and crossing ability to be able to adequately fill these demanding positions.

Midfield:

Nicky Butt will provide the protection for the defense, in addition to the bite in the tackle for the overall midfield. Rob Lee, although most noted for his wing play, also was a very under rated and highly capable CM. With an eye for the goal, good passing technique, and the ability to use his desire to cover more than enough ground as part of a midfield 3. Cesc will provide the creativity, flair, and ability to open up opposition defenses with his passing ability. He will also be able to chip in with goals to help support the front 2.

Strikers:

Finally, in attack, we have a well balanced Strike pairing in Ravanelli and Ferdinand. Ravanelli, considred by some one of the most deadly and deadly strikers of the nineties will provide the guile, vision and craft of the two (in addition to his ability to finish). Meanwhile, Ferdinand will provide the deadly finish, power, pace and physique to trouble any CB pairing. The onus will be on Cesc and Lee to help provide and create the chances for these two to finish.

Secret Weapon:

Set Pieces and Corners. Imagine trying to defend aerial balls against a combination of Ferdinand, Vidic, Adams, Thuram and Ravanelli. Need I say more?

Set Piece Takers:

Long free kicks: NA – Play for possession
    Short free kicks: Dennis Irwin
    Corners: Cesc Fabregas/Dennis Irwin
    Penalties: Dennis Irwin

Republic of Mancunia repped this.
  18. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Player Roles
    Brad Friedel - None other than the iron man himself, Dad Friedel, will be between the sticks for my club. With 304 consecutive appearances, Brad holds the record for the Premier League. He's a strong, imposing keep who still has great reflexes. He's a solid shot stopper, handles crosses into the box well, and is the type of keeper who can keep his defense well organized. If he has a weakness it's probably his distribution, which stats show are subpar. Regardless, there are few guys I'd rather have in goal.
    Christian Panucci - Panucci is a solid defensive right back. He won't score many goals and you won't see him tearing down the right side all that much, but he is a great lock-down defender and solid at man-marking. The guy made 500+ apps during the EPL era for club and 57 for Italy, despite never being a favorite of Italian coaches. He fits into the tactical plan for the squad pretty well as he won't be receiving much support from Becks in defense on that right side.
    Dominic Matteo - Pretty similar "full back" to Panucci. Just as comfortable at center defense as on the left. He's not in the squad to bomb down the flanks and provide goals or assists, but instead to pick up the slack from having virtually no defensive support from Ribery. Perhaps at his best when playing for Leeds Utd, especially in the Champion's League. I would say that he's one of the two weakest players in the squad.
    Colin Hendry - Speaking of weakest players in the squad, here's the other competitor. Not that Hendry was a bad player, but he certainly doesn't stack up against the attacking players that he would be facing, as evidenced by his performance for Scotland at the 1998 World Cup. He probably played best as a limited central back, which means that he would partner well with...
    Ricardo Carvalho - I'll be depending on Carvalho a lot to organize the defense and distribute the ball into the attacking half. He had a great spell with Chelsea and, despite being 34, still puts in solid shifts for Real Madrid. There's not much to say about the guy. You've all seen him play. You know how influential he is and what a great stopper he is. He'll be the strongest point in my fairly weak defense.
    Didier Deschamps - Didier is going to be the anchor for this team. He captained France to a 1998 World Cup Championship and the 2000 Euro Championships title. Obviously, he was influential and one of the best players for France during that era. He's an excellent defensive midfielder and will serve as the link between the defense and the attacking third while punishing attacking midfielders who dare to enter his realm. I would probably make Didier the captain of the squad.
    David Beckham - It's David ********ing Beckham, you know what to expect. He'll be playing as a sort of wide midfielder, looking to craft chances on both the right and through the middle. He'll be responsible for the set pieces and should deliver a fair number of goals from free kicks. His lack of defensive work ethic means that Panucci will have to step it up in defense. There could be some overlap on the right between those two players, but I wouldn't expect much from Panucci.
    Frank Lampard - Another player that everyone is familiar with and knows exactly what to expect from. He's a creative beast in the midfield and will provide a really solid return on goals, being the 7th all time leading scorer in the EPL with 151 goals. He also provides great service to the front line and cna be counted on to release the forwards into space, especially Fowler. Lampard's my playmaker.
    Franck Ribery - He's one of the best players in the world today. He's got pace, creativity, finesse, the ability to finish from anywhere on the pitch. Put on the left I would expect him to play as an inverted winger or inside forward, cutting in to take shots from outside the box or slip the ball through to Fowler beating the offside trap. Ribery's seriously just an all around dream on either wing, providing excellent crosses as well as cutting into the middle of the pitch. He'll terrorize full backs, and especially teams who try to play with 3 center backs, and snag plenty of goals and assists while doing it.
    Teddy Sheringham - The eighth all time leading scorer int he EPL, He's one of Spurs' nearest and dearest. And he's a solid forward. Sure, he kind of sucked for Man Utd, but they weren't utilizing him to his utmost. He plays best as a slightly deeper forward in support of a pure goal scoring poacher. He'll create plenty of chances for Fowler, hold the ball up to bring the midfield into the attack, and ideally get on the end of Beckham's crosses.
    Robbie Fowler - He's a pure finisher, he's got pace, and he holds the record for the fastest hat trick in EPL history (4 minutes and 33 seconds, and it was against l'Arse, to boot). He obviously experienced his best spell earlier in his career when he was one of the paciest forwards in the premier league. After leaving Liverpool he was only really a shadow of his former self, but regardless, Fowler is one of the best forwards to play in the Premier League and is guaranteed to net a lot of goals.

Formation & Tactics
    It's not quite a 4-2-2, it's not quite a 4-3-3, it's my personal favorite: the 4-2-3-1 asymmetric or "double ladder." The goal of this tactic is to play attractive, free flowing football, primarily with the attacking motions coming from the middle of the pitch. The formation is made for attacking players who can swap positions and still play effectively. Also, it's ideal for the team that I formed. Beckham isn't an out and out winger, but instead more of a wide central midfielder. Ribery's attacking prowess is also utilized with this tactic.

Ideally, Deschamps would distribute to Lampard or Beckham who would then bring the ball forward. Beckham would be looking to either move inside and link up with Lampard or down the wing and swing balls into the box. Lampard has more options, spreading the ball to Ribery on the left, Sheringham to hold the ball up and/or attack from deep, or release Fowler to chase down long passes and tuck them home.

Defensively, all four backs will play pretty defensively, which works out since none of them are particularly attack-minded. Panucci is the only player that could really move forward and overlap with Beckham. Deschamps is responsible for sitting in the hole in front of the defense and eliminating attacking motions before they can ever really develop. Hendry would sit deepest to cover Carvalho who would be given more freedom to move forward to intercept passes or pressure players. Panucci or Matteo could also move behind to cover Carvalho. The main goal of the defense is to keep four players behind the ball and not get out-paced or hit on the counter attack.

Strengths - First and foremost, I would say that creativity is really a strong point of this team. Lampard, Ribery, Beckham, and Sheringham are all very intelligent, creative players who are able to bring other players into the attack. Poaching is another strength, with Fowler on the pitch. The team isn't particularly pacy, aside from Ribery and Fowler, and so they should really expect to build the attack rather than quick counter attacks.

Weaknesses - Defense would probably be the main weakness here. They'll contribute little to nothing to the attack, though Carvalho has a pretty strong long-passing game. The left is pretty exposed to attack with Ribery having such an attacking mentality. Matteo isn't particularly pacy so could be beaten by some of the quicker players out there. Luckily, the central defense is relatively strong and should be able to manage any crosses that get by Matteo. Not to mention the fact that Friedel is there to boss that defense. God I love Friedel.

COYS

Republic of Mancunia repped this.
  19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Good sheep xi

[​IMG]

Left-footed FKs/setpieces - Ziege (Malouda occasionally)
    Right-footed FKs/setpieces - Mostly Baggio with Deco mixing it up

Classic 4-1-3-2 switching to 4-2-3-1

Bad sheep xi

[​IMG]

Main idea is to hoof the ball down one of the channels for Aliadiere to use his pace and chase and defend with numbers when not in possession of the ball which will pretty much be most of the match.

Ali Dia is in a free role with his main job to try and wind up opposing players and get one or more of them booked and sent off and personally stay away from the ball.