PL/CL-era Sheep Draft 2

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cr7torossi, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Same as lanman's regular sheep draft

Firstly, a repeat of the rules.
    Unlike other drafts here, there is no draft order but each pick must match some specific set of criteria I will specify. Every participant will have to submit their choice of player by PM to me (so that all is kept secret each round) although there is a catch. If only one drafter selects a player then they get to draft him. If more than one person selects a player then the player is moved to the banned list and cannot be drafted until the final round. If the player does not match the criteria, then the drafter must pick again in the next round but the player will not be banned.

Those failing to get their player will then have to submit a second choice with the same criteria and process being applied (note that those players successfully drafted will not be revealed yet). If they fail again, a third and final submission will be made. If anyone has failed on all three chances, then they will receive a Sheep pick (details in a later post).

Each drafter will eventually end up with 12 players (although some rounds may involve picking two players) and must be able to form a recognised team including goalkeeper. At the end, everyone will vote for a winner.

As an example:

Criteria: Select a player who has played in a World Cup Final.

Drafter 1- Pele
    Drafter 2- Maradonna
    Drafter 3- Puskas
    Drafter 4- Puskas
    Drafter 5- Zidane
    Drafter 6- Zidane
    Drafter 7- Eusebio
    Drafter 8- Muller

I would then announce:

Drafter 1- Pass
    Drafter 2- Pass
    Drafter 3- Fail - Puskas selected more than once
    Drafter 4- Fail - Puskas selected more than once
    Drafter 5- Fail - Zidane selected more than once
    Drafter 6- Fail - Zidane selected more than once
    Drafter 7- Fail - Player does not match criteria
    Drafter 8- Pass

Banned: Puskas, Zidane

Drafters 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 must pick again

Drafter 3- Muller
    Drafter 4- Moore
    Drafter 5- Beckenbauer
    Drafter 6- Muller
    Drafter 7- Ronaldo

Results:

Drafter 3- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 4- Pass
    Drafter 5- Pass
    Drafter 6- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 7- Pass

Drafters 3 & 6 pick again

Drafter 3- Moore
    Drafter 6- Romario

Results

Drafter 3- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 6- Pass

Drafter 3 is to have a player selected for him.

2. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The rules (see bolded for changes):

Player Eligibility - no player should be older than 30 as of 1st August 1992 (the start of the rebranded premier and champions league); so players have to be born on 1st August 1962 or later.

This is to avoid confusion on how to rate individual players so you can rate them as you would normally in any all time draft.

Player Naming - no player naming unless they have been revealed by myself from the successful picks, the banned list or suggested as sheep. Sheep suggestions should only be made after I have asked for them.

Picks - Picks should be sent via pm/conversation to myself. In some instances, I may ask for further information to back up their eligibility. This is to make things easier for myself in checking (such as in the "Played in a World Cup final" critirea I may have asked for the year to be stated along with the pick).. If this is required I will clearly identify this when setting the criteria.

Time limits - The standard is 48 hours for the first pick, 24 hours for the subsequent 2 picks. Weekends count as either one day or two, so any stage announced on a Friday will have a deadline on the Sunday. Deadlines will be strictly enforce, although I am flexible if given prior notice

Missed picks - If you miss your 1st or 2nd pick, you will be allowed to make a supplemental pick at the same time as your next pick. The supplemental pick will count after all normal picks (so cannot block them) and must be made at this time or it is lost. If you miss your 3rd pick, then you get a Sheep.

Teams - From your 12 picks, you must be able form a team in a recognised formation. You don't have to necessarily play players in their prefered position, but you may be marked down in the final vote. You must pick a goalkeeper in the first 11 picks as there may be no goalkeepers for selection or as sheep available in round 12. If you do not have a goalkeeper and do not pick one in round 11 then it will be an automatic failure and a sheep goalkeeper will be allocated if required. One player can be left out altogether, allowing for a bit of flexibility or possibly removing a sheep.

Voting - Once the draft has completed, all drafters will be asked to post their team. If you want you can add a bit of a write up to explain how the team will play. After this, all drafters will be asked to submit a ranking off all other teams (from first to last) via pm. 1st place will be worth 1 point, 2nd 2 points etc. The lowest score wins and I will post the final standings when I have received all rankings.

I reserve the right to add new rules as required in case I have missed anything, although there will be nothing draconian.

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    In the event of being unsuccessful with all three picks, you will be assigned a Sheep. Following the first set of picks, successful drafters will start to nominate Sheep. All drafters can attempt to veto any suggestion, and if more than one drafter puts in a veto the player will be made inelligible. Where drafters are teamed up, the team counts as one drafter for these purposes.

From the announcement of the final picks in each round, anyone given a Sheep will have 24 hours to nominate 2 potential positions for a Sheep. I will then assign a Sheep for them.

This is a change to previous drafts and the Sheep will be awful, although where possible they will have played international football.

Note that the Sheep may not necessarily satisfy all the conditions of the round; and any rounds with no players eligible who would be considered Sheep would still have as harsh a Sheep as any other round.
    Questions about the rules are welcome at any time, either in the thread or via pm.

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I have recently moved across the pond so all deadlines would be US Central Times at 8PM (GMT-5; BST-6)

5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Round 1

Select a player who has won a CL medal at two different clubs.

Any player who was part of the final 18 would be considered as a medal winner. Please provide evidence if you are picking someone who was not part of the squad for the final.

At least one of the medals should have been won during the rebranded Champions League era.

Deadlines - all times 8pm US Central Time

Pick 1 - Sunday 27th April
    Pick 2 - Monday 28th April
    Pick 3 - Tuesday 29th April

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Unless I'm reading this incorrectly (and without doing much research), I think there are fewer players available here than actual teams in the draft. A player that's won 2 Champions League medals that has played in the past 20 years, right?

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Don't forget that runner-ups get medals as well. It is a tough round but there are more than enough options.

8. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Ah, didn't realize you could count final losers too - that changes things :D

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Nasty Round 1 - I like it.

10. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    How are these two statements reconciled?

11. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    @lanman some players get a medal even if they are not part of the final 18. For example, Terry was suspended for 2012 final and still got a medal.

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I took it from the first part that only those in the final 18 were considered winners. Is it simply that they had to be part of the CL squad in a season in which their team reched the final?

13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Any player who was part of the final 18 would get a medal right there.

Outside of that, the club gets a few more medals to give to other squad players and coaching staff and so forth on their discretion; so if you want to pick someone from the squad, I would need evidence that they did indeed receive a medal (no need of evidence for anyone who was part of the final 18).

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
  15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My pick is Messi.

Thanks for including me in this you guys!

16. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Just to clarify, are we only judging players on their performances in the Premier League? By that I mean would Bryan Robson (inelligible due to age) not be a very good pick due to is only being a bit part player with us for two seasons, then player manager for two seasons with Middlesbrough? Also lets say Messi came from Arsenals youth system, played 2 or 3 games with them and then was sold to Barca... would he also be a poor pick due to having so few PL games, or would is PL era performances in Spain be considered?

Also since it is a much thinner talent pool than an all time drat, sheep should be Liam Miller/Ade Akinbiyi type harsh. :D

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Also if it is only their play at English clubs we are considering, is that only their play in the PL, or does European/Cup form count also?

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @billyireland not sure about your questions. this is my first goat draft but here is the insturctions for hte round

what does the PL have to do with making a pick??

unless you are talking about voting. are you talking about voting? I suspect you are but i already typed all this crap and i am NOT deleting it!

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's the "PL/CL-era Sheep Draft 2". The exact criteria regarding the weighting and eligibility of the players overall is particularly relevant and could use some additional clarification.

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yea, more to do with voting and such... I did miss the CL part of the draft title so that answers my third question, but just curious if pre PL/CL era form is considered, or form in domestic leagues outside of England.

21. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #21 Vasu, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Just so I understand this correctly; PL/CL era refers only to the time period and not the actual league itself, right? So I could just as easily pick players from the German league for example?

EDIT: Oops I see billyireland has the exact same question.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow. Guys... form in the Prem has NOTHING to do with judging criteria. It is PL/CL ERA. The reason that was chosen was to identify a period of time in which players are eligible, nothing else. You can't be older than 30 when the PL started I believe is what CR7 posted.

Basically it is a sheep draft for the last couple decades.

benni... and billyireland repped this.
  23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Spoken like someone who has started to make a list and realises they have got it badly wrong... :p

benni... and johno repped this.
  24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    What johno said so not too restrictive.