PL: Brighton vs Liverpool - 1230pm Nov 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Nov 26, 2020.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 newterp, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Yeah - he didn’t make a buffoon of himself at all. He just called it like it is - which is what he always does. He knows full well that the sky and bt pricks are trying to get a headline from him - and will goad him until he says something. I’m glad he stands up for his views and his players.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was really nice to see the energy Henderson was bringing in that second half.

When will Gini get a rest. He needs it.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But he did go down ...... very slowly ....... after he realised there was an outside chance of a penalty ..........

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Technically VAR didn't corect the ref, VAR invited the ref to have another look.

Many of the decisions today sucked. But it is not a "VAR" issue, it's the way VAR is chosen to be used.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically if the ref is asked to look at the monitor - 99.9% he's changing the call because he's so scared of sticking with his original call - even if it correct.

There's almost this inability to allow any game play now - everything is so sterilized.

soccershaggy and Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can't believe you're still splitting that hair, delay. what effing difference is that supposed to make?

"the way VAR is used"
    is - by definition - VAR.

or are you still waiting for something magic to happen? how long are we all supposed to put up with the nonsense before it somehow "works well"?

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Phillips did very well today. thank god we didn't sell him.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp on Salah being subbed off:

“The day when Mohamed Salah is smiling when he leaves the pitch, something is really wrong,” Klopp told BT Sport. “I get it 100 per cent but the problem is he was out with COVID for 10 days. He trained one, played 60 minutes and then plays again three days later. We just have to be careful. He doesn’t like that, we know that, but that’s it."

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Because I think saying “VAR BAD” is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

10. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Could be very good if he was a bit more mobile. Neco Williams probably has more upside but I am more worried seeing NW in the lineup than Phillips.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thread for this one? I don't see it.

The result is a shame, but that game should have been put to bed long long before that incident. Liverpool's final ball was just not that good. Jota couldn't put Salah through early, they couldn't find a pass to make a 4 on 3 counter work late, both Salah and Mane couldn't stay onside for scored goals, and multiple other times the over the top ball looking for someone making a good run against the high line was just way way off.

Overall they should have been out of sight by the time that pen occurred. Frustrating.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s below - wasn’t pinned.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't kick a guy in the foot. It's a foul anywhere.

A good change might be something like "is the foul significant in terms of impacting the phase of play?" Did Robertson reclaim the ball for LFC because of the foul, or was an attacking move stopped or cut short or a potential chance denied because of the foul? The answer to both is obviously no. But when the rules pretty clearly say "you can't kick someone in the box or it's a penalty", it's hard to complain about this kind of call IMO. Even if it's really frustrating.

I think the Williams pen is probably more debatable than the Robbo pen. But generally I wouldn't expect to see either of them result in any other way considering the way they are using VAR.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Williams penalty was stone cold. He lunged in and chopped the guy down. The robbo pen is just laughable.

zaqualung, Wingtips1, Suss and 1 other person repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    do you really have any expectation that it will get better, any time soon? seriously? if you do, I'd say you are in a very small minority. it's not even clear that people running the game recognize a problem exists. they sure as shit aren't admitting it. each time they tinker with it, it gets demonstrably worse and simply pisses off more and more spectators - and now even the players are speaking up.

fact is - it was introduced prematurely without sufficient testing / recalibration, and with video equipment that simply cannot capture the images they are supposed to capture.

more tinkering is NOT what's needed.
    more training is NOT what's needed.
    more patience is NOT what's needed.

imo, if you had started out with the purpose of screwing up officiating - and significantly exacerbating fans' distrust of and disrespect for officials - today's VAR is a superb way to do it.

VAR needs to be stopped asap and fixed with better equipment, plus a year or two of non-public testing before it shows its head again. I'm certain if that was put to a vote by clubs, players, managers and fans it would pass almost unanimously.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's interesting. I would think people would take issue with the coming together and 50/50 shoulder to shoulder nature of Williams. Not that it's necessarily not a pen, but there's much more interpretation there than the Robbo pen, in terms of the rules.

You kick someone in the foot on a missed clearance, it's just going to get called every single time these days. Sure Welbeck's dive was a joke, but that action is never getting overlooked.

As not great as LFC were in attack, and the missed pen and missed chances by Brighton, honestly it's hard for me to feel like LFC truly deserved the 3 points. They almost had them, but all in all hard to say Brighton deserved nothing. That might be affecting my reaction somewhat.

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is our lineup for Tuesday?

Neco Fabinho Matip robbo
    Henderson Wijnaldum firmino
    Mane Jota Salah

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Disagree. Because at some point a kick isn't really a kick.

What happens when the "kick" makes so little contact it wouldn't deviate a butterfly's flight path?

And if we can agree that's not a foul, then there is obviously a grey area.

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not a lunge. The other guy was just too smart and stepped across him. More an issue of inexperience.

soccershaggy and EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well that depends on the powers that be. I don't know what they will do so I don't have any informed expectations one way or the other.

21. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    More likely have Jones in MF?

soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to really strongly change the laws for a direct kick to a foot in your path which snuck in and poked the ball away isn't considered a foul. That's all I'm saying. No the butterfly example is not a foul.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep good call

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 EruditeHobo, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Jota on bench IMO? Who needs a little break, Jota or Bobby?

Mane Salah obvious choices up top since they've both seen some rest recently.
    And yes agreed Jones Hendo Gini CM... which is getting pretty ********ing thin.

25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The shame is that we are not discussing Jota’s brilliant goal. The debate should be, is Diogo Jota the best player in the world, yes or no?

This game and the Everton one left me with a worse feeling than conceding seven goals against Villa.

burning247, soccershaggy and Wingtips1 repped this.