Pittsburgh @ Wilmington 4/29 [R]

Discussion in 'Wilmington Hammerheads' started by mbsc, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington's second home game (and second game overall.) Forecast for Friday is Sunny with Highs around 75, Lows around 54 and a 0% chance of rain... Let's hope there is a nice turnout.

2. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the wife let's me out of the house, I'll try to drive down there with a couple of friends, in the spirit of the free beer movement. :D

http://www.thefreebeermovement.com/

What the hell's a Riverhound anyway?

3. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great... Hope you can make it. I haven't heard if anyone is planning to tailgate the game, but if not meet everyone at the Beer Tent and we'll welcome you to the friendly confines of Legion Stadium with a free beer.

I have a soft spot for the 'Burgh having grown up a Pirates fan, so Riverhounds I can deal with (Charleston's minor league baseball team is the "RiverDogs.") I just wish they used the Gold and Black like everyone else in the city.

4. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...beer. Don't know how soon I can get on the road, but I'll try to make it before kickoff. Thanks.

I saw this on wikipedia:
    "The Riverhound colors - black, blue, and white - were adopted before the start of the 2008 season to honor their academy and training partnership with Everton FC of the Premier League. The use of blue is an allusion to the blue collar populace of Pittsburgh."

I'd say stick to the black & gold. It seems like capitulation to adopt the English team's colors. IMO, it's more important to identify with your home base than to kiss-up to the big boys. That's just me.

5. DUST

DUST Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Port City Firm "tailgates" always start when the doors open at 6 on the far side where we stand....come on over!

6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game - what little I saw of it. (2-1 Hammerheads, unless someone scored in injury time.)

Got a late start out of Raleighwood, got stuck in stand-still traffic on I-40 for the better part of an hour, had to grab a bite to eat with a friend once I arrived in town, got to Legion after halftime, got the last XL jersey w/o sponsor on the front, downed a quick beer, saw three goals, got back in the car and raced back home. I've an early day tomorrow.

Great crowd too, announced 2,984 I believe. Atmosphere was very good. I'll be coming back again for a proper visit and to hopefully hang with the PCF. Two thumbs up.

7. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington 3 : 1 Pittsburgh

Sorry you missed the first half, but glad you made it. The first half was primarily a defensive battle with the Hammerheads locking down their third, clearing out everything and giving our keeper Duckworth very little to do. The defense (especially Ivan Becerra) continue to impress.

...and definitely stop by the PCF next time. You know where we are.

Good crowd (2984), good weather and good result.

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost 3K, decent crowd...hope you guys can get it cranked back up in Willytown.

If you're looking for a little roadtrip, cruise on down hwy 17 to chucktown and take in our battle with the hounds. We tailgate around 5ish behind the east stands by the gate....stop on by for a bite and a brew.

9. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States