Pitt 2022 (R, news, etc.)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, May 2, 2022.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana BigSoccer Supporter

May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Been a while. I thought this would go into the transfer portal thread, but it turns out that thread was started by somebody curious about the process. It wasn't an update thread. That said, time, now, I think, to start a thread for a former hometown team that seems like it's getting better overall in recent years.

The University of Pittsburgh loses rising sophomore Katelyn Kaufmann (F, Norwin) to FGCU.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdD8WpCLfB4/

2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    They had one of their best seasons this past fall. Definitely still need to improve results in the ACC but they seem close. They had a great spring season (I know, I know spring results don’t mean anything) but they don’t graduate much and return most of their starters this fall. I am definitely excited for the fall!

Spring season results
    @ Penn State Win 5-3
    Youngstown Win 7-0
    Canada U17 Rex Win 8-1
    Ohio State Tie 2-2
    West Virginia Win 2-0

3. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    They have talent and will win games, but as long as Randy keeps scheduling Towson, Cleveland State, The Citadel etc, the RPI/SoS are going to continue to keep them out of the postseason.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect you will see a schedule this coming year that is more oriented towards the post-season.

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Pitt hasn’t released their schedule yet but some teams they are playing have. So far piecing it together it shows they are playing Gonzaga. The Gonzaga game says in Missoula MT, so I’m guessing Pitt is also playing Montana.

Also Liberty shows they are playing at Pitt.

6. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They have 11 kids on the transfer portal from this past year alone. Granted 3 are fifth years but still a very, very high number. They had 11 transfers in 2020-2021 as well and 7 in 2019-20. Don't know of any other program that comes close to that number of recent transfers. Buyer beware. Overrecruit and then spit out the ones they don't want to keep and that kid has to restart the process and look elsewhere.

7. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would be concerned if they were losing kids that are playing. But seems like all of the ones transferring are kids that didn’t get minutes. Shocker kids that don’t get minutes want to leave. Portal makes it pretty easy to do. You are seeing it all over the place

8. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You'd hope so. Randy is no dummy and it has to be pretty clear that RPI, SOS, and lack of a glamor win kept them from the postseason last year.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue for a team like Pitt is that they are in the ACC. They have to take that into account in scheduling, which means their non-conference schedule must be mostly teams they will beat. The challenge is to be sure their non-conference opponents are both (1) teams they can beat and (2) teams that will have good winning records. In addition, within their total schedule they likely will need one or two notable wins or a really good tie. And, of course, they will need to be at or above 0.500.

Wildcatter repped this.
  10. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    https://gogriz.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule correct that they will be at montana

11. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Thanks, reading their schedule release story i would say Montana is excited to have Pitt coming in. Half the article is about Waldrum’s accomplishments.

As a Pitt fan I am definitely happy with that opening weekend. Definitely looks like they are trying to play a stronger non conference schedule to get an at large bid this year.