Pitt 2019 (R, news, etc.)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Scouser0724

Scouser0724 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Dec 11, 2019
    Pitt now has about 15 Internationals on the team and incoming plus a ton of local PA West kids coming soon that actually think they have a real chance of getting on the field. A few might but the majority won't. It will be interesting to see how fast and how many of those hit the transfer portal in the coming years.

2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    seems like Pitt has found a niche in Canada. this year all their top players were from Canada and it seems coach Waldrum has a few more coming in for 2020. seems to be a lot of hype around the team. will be interesting to see how the team continues to grow. I think several of their 2020s are coming in January. that will definitely help

3. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    of the PA West kids I know. . .
    Yaple - I think has a chance to make an impact in 2020. she is a good athlete and definitely increases Pitts athleticism. they struggled with that piece last year. can play in any line and thats why I think she will find her way on the field.

Frankovic - freak athlete. will upgrade their backline athletically. probably not the greatest soccer IQ so that will take time to develop. but coming in January will increase her chances of making an impact.

Coffield - may struggle a bit athletically in the ACC but this kid can definitely play. If Waldrum can surround Ellie with some athletes around her then I think she can make a big impact in 2021. she has great vision and can spray a ball all over the field. basically lead her team to state championship as a junior.

Kaufman - good athlete but I think she will struggle to get on the field for Pitt. she is a forward for the river hounds. I don't see her beating out players like West which would be in her junior year. could be a project player for Pitt and maybe later on gives Pitt something

Bernick - another one I think is just depth for Pitt. plays with northern steel and is their main forward. Just don't see her beating out Pitts front line in her freshmen year. Wont be able to beat out West and Rico for playing time. could a position change be in her future?

Evers - I think this kid has a chance to come and give Pitt something in her first year. in my opinion she is one of the top forwards in her age group in PA. Great size for age. Freak athlete. can definitely be a little better in front of goal. But she is a kid that can probably play in any line because of her athletic ability. if she continues to progress at the rate she has I think she can be a big time player for Pitt in the future.

Those are all of the western PA kids I know. Did I miss any?

4. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    forgot a 2021
    Schupansky - a good forward from river hounds and NA. was a finalist for player of the year for the WPIAL. kid is really good around goal. She has grown a lot over the last few years. could be a darkhorse in this class. a year ago I was surprised when I saw this committment. I didn't think she would be good enough. I saw her play recently and her game has really grown. I could see this one going either way. I can see her making an impact if given some time. At the same time it will be hard to take time away from West and Rico to make the immediate impact. Could be a big time player in years 3 and 4

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  5. Scouser0724

Scouser0724 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Dec 11, 2019
    Trying to be as objective as possible but I really only see Frankovic, Coffield and possibly Evers potentially seeing the field long term over their careers at Pitt. The others I would project as fringe/practice players and/or long term transfer candidates. Don't get me wrong the others are very good players but whether they can develop there into ACC level players able to contribute and take spots from others is a totally different thing. They will have to decide if they want to be in the program or on the field. Those are two total different things.

The Waldrums though have done a good job quickly of immersing themselves into PA West scene by these offers and reaching out to others that went or are going elsewhere to create local interest. Which is something Greg Miller did not do when he was there. Time will tell but their marching orders from administration are to compete and not just play in the ACC which is arguably the top collegiate league in the country. That will only be done with a steady diet of Internationals and top kids from CA/AZ/TX etc who have higher level experience (Top ECNL/DA/youth nationals) and other Top 20 transfer portal targets.

6. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying Scouser0724. It will be interesting to see how the team continues to evolve. To really compete in the ACC Pitt will have to start getting some kids with more national recognition. I fully expect to start seeing a lot more Texas kids with DA experience coming in the near future. Heck all 3 of the Pitt coaches are from Texas. They have to have some connections to pull kids in.

Im actually curious to see the team this spring. Im interested to see what their spring schedule looks like. Last years spring schedule was extremely weak. Understandable since they were just probably trying to get through the spring since most of those kids weren't coming back for fall. This year they don't graduate very many kids plus have 3-4 kids coming in for spring semester. you will get an early look at what next years team will look like only missing a few kids. Will be interesting to see if they play a weak schedule again or do they beef it up. Also interested to see how he plays that many kids. do they all get time to develop? just mainly play the kids that didn't get a lot of time in the fall to make people happy? or just play the big guns in preparation for fall

7. Scouser0724

Scouser0724 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Dec 11, 2019
    What will also be more telling is who is now in the transfer portal looking to move on. I have heard some possible names but since they are not out in the public it is not right to speak on hearsay until the student athlete makes any announcement themselves.

8. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Randy going that route because Pittsburgh is a tough sell for US kids and the area isn’t known as a hot bed for soccer. I’m sure he will get the programmed turned around to a certain point, but I don’t see national championships in his future there. He probably moves on again in 3-4 years.

9. Scouser0724

Scouser0724 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Dec 11, 2019
    Randy is 63 years old. Pitt is his last stop until he's ready to walk away for good and then Ben takes over there. He has the support of administration and Pitt is upgrading things over at the Olympic sports center so he can win and be a consistent mid table ACC team.

10. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I don't know what all is being built but the soccer field was under construction all season. the building behind the goal is being added on. it looked like they were extending the building out out about another 50 yards or so. Also adding another level to the entire building. its going up pretty quick.

11. Scouser0724

Scouser0724 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Dec 11, 2019
  12. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    It’s still in Pittsburgh isn’t it? Let me know when they move it.

13. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Pittsburgh is a great city to live in. tons of stuff to do downtown. which is very easy to get to from campus. lots of job opportunities for kids to do internships and get hired right away for good paying jobs. lots of tech, engineering, and medical companies in the area. most partner with Pitt and want their students.

catfish9 and Scouser0724 repped this.
  14. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Pitt just released their spring schedule today. Some pretty intriguing games. Also holy cow they are playing 9 spring games! I've never seen a program play that many in the spring before. They must be trying to get their young team as much experience as possible! I love it

The best ones:
    March 1st @ Penn State

April 5th vs West Virginia

Also they have a match up with a Canada Rex Team. Not sure which one exactly but seeing they have been pulling some good players from Canada I think its pretty cool they are bringing the Rex team in. Easy way to get some of the top Canadian kids on their campus. I know they had 4 new kids come in January. 1 transfer and 3 freshmen that graduated early. I can't wait to see what they can do!

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Aw, they could Have played a charity fundraiser and an alumnae and a national team date as well.

what they are doing counts as five competition dates and an international. The two games in a day thing is fairly common, with half the squad playing each, or half the squad playing half of each game.