Pitt 2019 (R, news, etc.)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  3. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it just confirms what people have been saying about Randy for the past 5 years. People said he would only take a job where he could hire his son and either step away after a couple years to let him be the head coach or get him to the college game to get his son a HC gig before he retires. Surely it wasn't a promotion for helping them to a 4-12-1 (0-10-0 ACC) record last season.

4. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Not sure where I found it, but I am a 172 and Mustang fan.

As for good or bad, no clue. I just found it interesting. Family setups seem uncommon, but I don't know. I hope it helps. Pitt needs help.

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think they will definitely be better than last year. Probably be able to compete in the ACC a lot better. But at the end of the day they still won't have enough talent to make any real noise. I think they finish 12th in the conference

6. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    They will be younger and still not ACC talented from all indications. CRW seems past his prime.

7. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Delaware 2 Pitt 0

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    No disrespect to whoever created this thread, but I’m afraid Pitt and Syracuse will be 1-9 or 0-10 in the acc. They’re just not up to par with the other 12 teams

9. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the guilty party. Pgh is my former home metro, so I had gotten excited when they did hire Randy Waldrum as HC. But, alas, he is but one cog in a big wheel, and it's just not happening.

But still, #h2p. I miss thee.

10. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    You have seen it other places, hire an older guy with a name and a resume, but past his prime, and it doesn't work out more than it does. And the only reason he took the job is because they would let him hire his son. The same son he had to fire at ND for some alleged really bad decisions. The same son who doesn't have a single accomplishment on his own.

Pitt won the press conference, but there is an above average chance that is all they win. As previously said, they are young and not really that much more talented from all accounts.

GM got roasted on here for cutting all of the kids he inherited. Because he has a National Championship it is somehow different for CRW?

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Why not give Waldrum a few more years? Turning around a program takes considerable time.

FWIW, I will note that one of his 2020 recruits is being given a look at the U20 camp this next week.

12. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think its funny reading all the randy Waldrum is past his prime. You guys are nuts. If you actually sit down and talk soccer with the guy its clear he knows what he is doing! Kids want to play for him. I’m not jumping off the deep end yet. I don’t think Pitt will be that competitive this year but it takes longer than 1 recruiting class. Randy will get it pointed in the right direction. I will pass judgement after the 2021 season. Heck like mentioned above, one of his 2020 commits was just called into the US U20’s. It takes a little time

13. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Also Pitt is having some major athletic renovations done including the soccer field. That will definitely help in recruiting

14. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not one of his recruits, she was committed to the previous staff. She is one of the only ones he did not pull the offer from.

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I was one who thought Miller dumping current players at Pitt was unethical and unnecessary. Hindsight has proven he couldn't get the job done. I had some first hand knowledge of it then that I don't have for this current group at Pitt. Of course I think it's still a shitty thing to do at almost any level. But there has to be some balance with the expectations and tenure provided the new staff. The funny thing is, Waldrum doesn't need the money now, he needs it in 2-3 classes from now. and if you give him a 5-year contract, he's got the time he needs to recruit "his" quality players, in his year 3 but certainly in years 4-5. At the end of year 4 if you don't get that contract extension, that's a bad sign. My guess is that Waldrum will decide when he leaves Pitt, not Pitt. There just may not be a coach good enough to make Pitt competitive in the ACC. Losing ANY game to a weak and rebuilding Delaware team is a bad sign for Pitt, even with their relatively weak and rebuilding team.

If he had known to wait a few weeks, he would be at Miami, and better equipped to create a competitive ACC program. Timing really is everything sometimes.

16. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    We aren't even talking about being competitive in the ACC. He lost 8-1 on a trip to TCU and UNT. He lost 2-0 to Delaware. He beat a 1-14-1 Jacksonville team 2-1. He got outscored in the ACC 2-38. He scored in 1 ACC game. Delaware went 4-12-2 last year.

CRW has enough of a resume where he will get the benefit of the doubt. Early results, instance on hiring an unqualified relative, and a playing style that simply won't work has me believing when his time is done, it will look eerily similar to GM.

17. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Of course he knows what he's doing. But that's not what 'past his prime' means; it takes a LOT of energy and hunger to completely rebuild a moribund program. It's fair to question whether he has that energy and hunger, or if he's just winding down with a nice paycheck and a good deal for his son.

18. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    I am curious. What style of play last year would have suited the team better? From my perspective, as a whole last year's team was painfully slow, displayed no mental toughness, and failed to physically challenge most teams. They did not have the caliber of athlete necessary to compete in the ACC.

I remain optimistic that this year's team will show some competitive fire on the field and more athleticism. Whether that translates into more wins remains to be seen. The first scrimmage against Delaware (3 x 30 minutes) had our opening 11 players yielding the two goals. No other scoring occurred afterwards.

19. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    If they could of played with 3 goalkeepers in the goal it may of suited last years team better:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for this years team I could care less about the result against Delaware. Its pre-season. Who knows what the 2 teams coaches were trying to get out of it. Im sure it was different for each team. Delaware probably were focused on getting a W since they are playing an ACC school and also their 2nd preseason game. I would guess Pitt was more trying to see what they have since they have 21 new players. Probably weren't playing to get a result. Probably going to take time for 21 new players to gel with each other and the returners. Haven't seen them play yet but I have seen their social media and at least they look way more athletic than last year

20. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5-4 over LMU. Amanda West amasses 7 pts and a hat trick.

mpr2477 repped this.
  21. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    definitely not the best game of the opening days but probably the most entertaining! 2 of LMU's goals were goal of a lifetime quality.

22. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Randy Waldrum picks up his first road win since coming to Pitt. . . West already has scored more goals in 2 games than Pitts leading goal scorer scored all last season

24. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    There is a lot to be excited about after the first two games. Namely, two wins to start off with with 17 freshmen on the roster. Amanda West has shown herself to be a legitimate offensive threat early and she has shown a good work ethic on the field. Anna Rico has had two solid games at the forward position as well. Nice to see their combination play working this early. Margret Arnadottir is working herself into the lineup and has shown some occasional offensive sparks as well.

The ACC storm is looming on the horizon and there are still plenty of things that worry me about our defense. The third goal given up in the Loyola Marymount game showed a mental lapse by one or both co-captains when they failed to see the player at the top of the box who eventually took the cross and volleyed it home. A wonderful shot, no doubt, but rather inexcusable by senior players. Both were caught ball watching in my opinion. Additionally, there are still too few physical challenges by our players in the midfield. Bucknell was a fairly slow team and yet several times our midfielders were content to play 5 yards off the player with the ball. That opened up both passing and running lanes. I think better and faster teams are going to exploit that unmercifully if we we don't shore that up soon.

I believe the coaches are still evaluating players on a daily basis so it is hard to know what the starting lineup will finally be when the team hits conference play. Fingers crossed we continue to improve as we move forward into the season.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  25. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    These players are hopefully the 'intermediate' stage players between the moribund team Randy took over, and the one he may have in another two recruiting classes. But it's probably folly to hang too much on these kids. Nobody can bring in 19 ACC-level players in one class. These kids aren't that. You hope they compete better than last year's team, but Syracuse still looks like the only solidly winnable game. Miami at a stretch, but it's in Coral Gables, which is a really tough place to play.