Pires turns down Chelsea

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by MightyBees, Oct 17, 2003.

1. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    Robert Pires revealed today that he rejected the chance to join Chelsea during the summer.

The Arsenal midfield player received the approach through an intermediary last May while taking a break before the Confederations Cup tournament in France. But he turned down the move and went on to negotiate a new three-year deal with Arsenal.

"They made me a proposition," said Pires ahead of tomorrow's visit of Chelsea to Highbury.

"They wanted to sign me, but I preferred to stay at Arsenal. It was an easy decision to make because I love playing for Arsenal. I always wanted to stay at the club."

"With the number of quality players who have come to the club, Chelsea have made it clear how much they want to win the championship. That is positive for the players and positive for supporters. It shows ambition.

"However, you also have big players who are used to being first choice and everyone wants to play. That is normal. For the moment everything is going well. but the problems may come when Chelsea lose a game, when they suffer a defeat."

Pires also revealed that he approached Arsene Wenger earlier this season to discuss his own form after being dropped for the games against Manchester United and Newcastle.

"I was disappointed to be on the bench for those two matches because those are the kind of games you want to play in.

"When I asked Arsene Wenger why I was left out, he said he wanted to give me a rest, that I needed one. We discussed the situation and I accepted what he said. And after that break, I played in Moscow and in Liverpool and felt much better.

"I know I have looked poor at times this season. Much of the problem was caused because I started my preparations later than many of the players because of the Confederations Cup in the summer.

"That meant, after my holiday, I was behind in my pre-season work and it has taken me time to find my rhythm."

http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/7223698

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    the Darkness is the best band ever??

Oh, I meant, good for him...good choice, I guess.

3. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    It says "in the world" not "ever"!
    :p

4. jeff midfield

jeff midfield New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    madison
    I AM PERSONALLY GLAD HE STAYED CAUSE PIRES IS ONE OF THE BEST MIDFIELD PLAYERS IN THE GAME.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    ITS A GOOD THING YOU HIGHLIGHTED YOUR OPINION BY PUTTING IT IN ALL CAPS. OTHERWISE WE WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

6. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    I think it’s so obvious why Robert Pires would stay.

1. Wenger speaks French

2. He has already established himself at Arsenal with both team and fans

3. Too much competition for midfield spot in Chelsea

I personally think he should stay…