Pires to MLS in '05?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Gunnersaurus, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Two words: ab surd.

Let's take a look at this "report":

"Once my contract with Arsenal is at an end, I would like to finish my career in America," said the Frenchman,..."

Said where? How about attributing this quote. What, they had an exclusive interview with Pires? I doubt that.

"(Pires) travels to the US every year on holiday, and is understood to be well versed in his understanding of MLS."

'Understood to be well versed in his understanding...'?
    What they hell does that mean? Understood by whom?

"Former team-mate Gilles Grimandi is set to join MLS in a matter of days when he puts pen to paper to sign for the Colorado Rapids, adding his name to the Highbury exodus that has seen ex-Gunner Steve Morrow complete his first season in the US top-flight with Dallas."

Not sure if GG and Steve Morrow count as an exodus. Morrow was done as a Gunner a long time ago. Gilles is at the end of his career.

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd love to see Pires play for the Revs at the big razor in a few years... I'm skeptical. VASTLY skeptical.

5. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By 2005, I hope that MLS is good enough not to need a burned-out Pires. If a guy from the other side of the pond wants to play in the States, I hope that he soon knows he better do it while he's still got some legs left, and will be able to contribute for a few years.

The Matthaeus MLS is gone.

6. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I second this motion, so it's official: Revs get Pires in '05.

Much as I'd like to see it happen, there's a chance that he'll still be worth millions then.

7. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lets see here.

The MLS season usually kicks off in March or April. If I'm not mistaken Robert Pires will have just turned 32 years old in the spring of 2005.

Not a young man but not exactly washed up.

Super Bob can come and entertain me any time as far as I'm concerned.

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grimaldi + Marrow = exodus. Ri-i-i-i-i-ight. By the way, Pires IS going to America and he'll play for DC Utd., right after he renames himself Wasted Talent.

Vive le AFC!

OPArsenal

9. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

I just can't see this happening but you never know . . . I would think Pires would still be good enough to be a part of France's plans in the 2006 WC in Germany unless he decides to retire from International play after Euro 2004.

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Don't forget that Anders Limpar also played for the Colorado Rapids. 3 ex-Arsenal players in MLS...while not an exodus, likely the largest number from any single club.

I would like to see Pires at DC United, however, that would be for this season and not in 2005. :rolleyes:

Of course, I wouldn't mind waiting until he's done with Arsenal's bid to win European Cup and domestic double...and after that, what does he have to play for... ;)

11. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    I'll have to see it to believe it but guys do we really need more age 30+ players here in america. I might as well just watch them now.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pires to MLS? That's funny cuz a few days ago I read an article about his intent to play again in Portugal.

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all of you saying Pires will be washed up...i bet you Pires at 32 will be better than anyone currently in the MLS. Look at Pires' teammate Dennis Bergkamp. He is around 33.5 years old playing in the EPL and IMO is much better than any MLS player.