Piplica involved in betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Mattbro, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Yo, check this out:

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,341521,00.html

I tell you why I believe this: I saw Tomislav Piplica in Vienna last summer. I was right in the center of town in front of St. Stephen's cathedral, watching some juggling act or some mimes or something, and who should be standing there but Tomislav Piplica. In fact I posted about it on here (although I was unable to find the thread through a search). At the time I was wondering WTF he was doing here, since he was under contract in Cottbus at the time (in fact, maybe he still is, for all I know), and there were no transfer rumors involving him coming to Austria. So at the time I chalked it up to unexplainable reasons. But now we know he was here fixing Austrian league matches! Of course, this is just rampant speculation, but that's as good as proof in my opinion!

2. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    I don't understand how Piplica, who didn't play in Austira, should have been involved in manipulation of austrian leauge games. :confused:

Anyway, I don't think that any 1st Bundesliga player is involved in that. Simply because of financial reasons. Piplica played in the 1st Bundesliga many years as a 1st goalkeeper and probably earned a big pile of money. At least 300-500.000 a year, maybe more. If you compare this with the amount of money that the refree Hoyzer got for all his games (67.000€), you see that it just isn't enough for a player like Piplica to risk his whole career.

3. MKO|||

MKO||| Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you guys remember his famous blunder a few seasons ago? I dont remember against wich team it was. But back then everyone thought it was just a horrible blackout. Maybe it was more...maybe not...

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    LordR, the theory is that he was in contact with his countryman, who is the GK for Bregenz.

I remember Piplica's blunder. It certainly does seem suspicious in light of these new rumors. It almost did look like he did it on purpose, in retrospect. Also Stefan Raab tried for several weeks to get him on the show to talk about it. No wonder he didn't feel like discussing it on national TV, if he did it on purpose!

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Hozyer’s lawyer has advised him to involve and accuse as many players from ex Yugoslavia as possible to deflect attention from him self. Café king is meeting point for ex-Yugoslavs in Berlin, so the story can seem plausible to the German public.

The truth about that Piplica goal was that he went to a wedding the day before and got really drunk. If you wanna fix a game you wouldn’t do it so obviously.