Pinto Da Costa complains...

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by metro fan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I don't want the government involved in the sport, Govern the people not the sport. However maybe there should be a code of conduct for the persons in Authority on the Teams

2. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica was lucky to get 1 point, not because of the referee, but because they played really really bad that second half. The referee errored both ways, niether Benfica or Rio Ave can complain (both teams scored an illegal goal). But the 1 extra point is nothing compared to the 3 extra points the referee gave porto in the Benfica v porto game.

3. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It wouldn't be sports if people didn't complain. We see this in every single sport ever played. Athletes, coaches, team officials will always argue and or disagree with game officials.

People who are biased one way or another will for the most part see certain things a different way than others. (particularly fans)

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well said Juveleo! :cool:
    I was going to give u a rep point but for unforseen reason i'm not allowed to!

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    The League at this moment is non existant, because of the Valentim Loureiro implications in the "apito dourado" operation.

6. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    I strongly agree with Briosa. The problem is the league is to linient with these people. As soon as you mentioned the referee or the league you should be fined and suspend. And make sure the fines are heavy, not a slap in the hand. This will make this people, not only Pinto da Costa, to shut up

7. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    The institutions that run portuguese football have no credibility. It's as simple as that. Most of the people that take part in these counsils or commissions are not there to protect football, but to protect the interests of their patrons.
    The League should be an autonomous and independent organization but a simple look at the names that have run it in the past shows it has constantly been in the hands of people that have public ties with certain clubs.
    Some of those clubs have even publicly made it their objective to "control" certain commissions inside the League!
    Everybody knows the League is ridden with corruption and double standards: In any real european League some of our "greatest" clubs would have been relegated long ago to the lower divisions for tax evasion and for illicit competition practices (when you "buy" players and don't actually "pay" for them you're not competing in the same conditions as the rest are you?).

But in Portugal, as usual, it's "anything goes" as long as the ref (a guy that has to keep his day job to survive) doesn't make a mistake.

8. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    first time I EVER agree with you on anything.
    rep for that

9. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree, but I want to comment on the "greatest clubs" being relegated. I understand (and I know this will sound really unfair) why the league would overlook any tax evasion by the big 3 because Portuguese soccer needs them to be playing at the highest level (SuperLiga) for Portuguese soccer to survive.

10. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Porto is better than Benfica. Live with it. PDC is not paying off the refs for Porto to beat Benfica. Maybe in some alternative reality world, but not in this one.

11. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

12. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

13. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Basically, it's silly for anyone on either side to argue about whether PDC or LFV or whoever else is the worst. They're all out with their own agendas. They're all blowhards. They all try to tweak the rules to suit their particular club. They're all in the pockets of the LFP.

It's like arguing about who's worse, Hitler or bin Laden.

14. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica is the greatest club in Portugal!!! And that fact annoys pinto da costa so much. No matter what porto does they will always be in Benfica's shadow.

15. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    You couldn´t be more wrong, in fact Benfica still is the greatest club in Portugal , but this doesn´t annoys PdC and you know why?! simply because this is what gives strenght to PdC to constantly fight the so called established powers from Lisbon, when FC Porto faces a crisis with Lisbon clubs PdC usually turns this in North-South thing, he is very clever and always use the power of the others in favor of his club.
    This is why FC Porto achieved so manny titles in the last 20 years, while Benfica fans kept saying that their team still was the greatest of Portugal, FC Porto was winning titles every single year and establishing his reputation around the world, and nowadays FC Porto is the only Portuguese team respect outside Portugal and why not saying it the most succesfull Portuguese team in european competitions in ammount of trophies won.

16. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly. We could care less about what happened 50 years ago. What Porto had done in my lifetime is what counts as Benfica can't even catch a sniff of Porto's success the last 20 plus years or so.