Pilgrims chase Jemal Johnson

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Yank22, Aug 29, 2005.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    If I were looking for a tandem, why not bring cooper over as well? I would think a tandem of the target striker type in Kenny Cooper and the speed burner like Jemal Johnson would be a good pairing.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Let's hope JJ is hungry for playing time. He will surely benefit from it.

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can see why they'd be interested in JJ and I can see why Hughes would want JJ to get minutes as he would seem to be better off starting for Argyle than getting spot time with Bburn.

I posted this in the Rovers-Villa thread, but it seems relevant here. Keep in mind my comments about PT for Rovers were written before I knew about this loan possibility.

Watched the replay on FSC and went back with Tivo and closely watched, and documented, what JJ did in this game.

Came on in 82nd minute, almost immediate collected a loose ball, took someone on and drew a foul for a FK from about 25 yards.

83rd - Pressured Villa GK Sorensen after a backpass and used his pace to force an awkward, sloppy clearance that Bburn couldn’t capitalize on.

85th - Did well to collect a loose ball on the right flank at centerfield but got immediately dispossessed by a physical challenge by Patrick Berger that led to a 2-v-1 breakaway that resulted in Villa hitting the post.

87th – Pinching in from the right flank, he collects a pass about 25 yards from goal, cuts in towards the penalty arc to create space for himself and unleashes a low, hard left-footed laser from about 20 yards that Sorensen blocks but spills for a rebound that just eludes the rushing teammate “Coochy.” (My inner Beavis laughed every time the announcer said “Coochy.”) JJ and Bburn unlucky that didn’t lead to a goal.

87th – A few seconds later, runs onto a thru ball in the right corner and, while shielding a defender appears to have won a corner kick but the linesman points straight ahead for a goal kick.

88th – Collects a pass from Savage on the right side of the penalty box. Dances briefly on the ball, then plays it back to Reid at the top of the 18. Reid plays it right back to JJ, still on the right side of the box, who smacks a left-footed cross into the mixer that is easily cleared by a Villa defender. JJ shoulda done better with that chance.

90th minute – Runs onto a pass on the right flank, about 30 yards from goal and is spilled by a hard challenge from Samuel that is ruled a throw-in for Rovers.

90th minute – The throw-in goes to Coochy, who takes the ball down to the right corner then hits a nice cross to JJ about a yard inside the 18 even with the near post. JJ collects the pass and turns and smacks a right footed shot that looked like it was going towards goal but hit a Villa defender and goes out for a corner. (Friedel came up for the corner, btw, and the announcers were quite excited about that!)

91st – After another corner is cleared, Johnson collects a losse ball on the right side of the 18 and whips in a right-footed cross that is headed right to a Rovers attacker about 8 yards from goal but a Villa defender just gets a foot on it and it is cleared away and under pressure from JJ the clearance goes out for a Rovers throw-in.

I was surprisingly impressed with Johnson. Very active and more importantly, proactive, which you like to see from a sub. Certainly looks like someone who could do well in this role for Blackburn. His performance today should definitely earn him some more first team minutes and perhaps a slightly longer look next time out.

And, it’s amazing, and bordering on criminal, that this kid hasn’t been called into a US youth national team camp. This kid has a great upside and could be a serviceable EPL starter in a couple of years. The USSF needs to get this kid into the fold. He may not blow up, but if he does, it sure would be nice to have him tied to us.

He’s fast, tactically aware and good on the ball with both feet and looks like he could play up top or either flank mid spot. Not the biggest, and clearly will have some issues with bigger players, as the Berger play showed, but definitely better than most of what our U20 team had up top in Holland.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good post Sandon. Maybe this activity is a reason why Hughes will pause before letting JJ go; but it also shows why he does need to go on loan. He's ready to play a bigger role; but at present Blackburn isn't the place. With more PT JJ'll likely score some goals and raise his confidence level. That can only benefit him and Blackburn in the long run.

I would agree, it was criminal leaving him off the U-20s.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice, very nice

7. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Good thread...when I read the title though, I definitely pictured a dimunutive black guy being chased by angry mobs wearing puritan-era costumes...

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Ok, I just saw a couple clips of Jemal on the EPL Review show. How in the world was this kid not on our U-20 team? Was he hurt? Because our offense was amenic during that tournament. Didn't we have a high school kid playing on that team? I'm going bonkers here.

w-t-f Sigi.

w-t-f.

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it's possible (outside of Sigi and JJ and maybe a few others), but I'd like to know if JJ was left off because he wants to play for England (as I've seen posted on BS) or if he was left off because Sigi didn't want him.

Is he definately in the US player pool?

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    http://www.blueandwhites.com/playerprofiles/jemaljohnson.htm

Last Paragraph...

In the future, Jemal would love to play for his country (despite U.S. coaches scouting him on a regular basis, he has still not yet been called up for any youth or senior national teams), but for the moment he just wants regular first team football in order to develop.

11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    No. In case of Rossi, Sigi was told that Rossi wants to try Italy first. But in JJ's case, nothing mentioned. So Sigi though he had enough forward talents so there is no need to hurt the chemistry. It is Sigi's decision. Also even JJ played in WYC, he is still eligiable for England full side.

Sigi also didn't take Alvarez and Bradley to the WYC and Szetela didn't play as much as he played in MLS. Even today, nobody figured out why Dalby is the starter and captain of the team.

12. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Great find BigRose!

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had the pleasure twice to see reserve games (via webcats) in which JJ played and have been impressed both times. Speed and his ability to maintain possession despite limited physical traits stuck out. You can have speed all day long and not be a good player but he knew how to vary his speed to cause havoc. Numerous times in both games he caused the defense to turn it over and once lead to a break away goal and another led to a finish by a teammate. Just throwing this out there but he kinda reminded me a poor mans Beasley.There's no substitute for EPL experience however, if it is going to be few and far between when others return, then a loan is warranted. I like his game and want to see him flourish as quickly as he can.

As to the mention of if he'd chose the US, I believe it was addressed some last season. If I remember correctly Friedel has spoken to him about it and there was an article or something about how JJ identifies himself as a Yank by his urban style and music choices. I could be wrong as I vaguely remember it.

14. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    I bet Arena had just as much say in that decision.

15. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    JJ - will his nickname be "Dyn-O-Mite" was listed in 4-4-2's EPL preview issue as Blackburn's Player to Watch for this year.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Based on what?

There is absolutely no evidence that Arena dictates personel choices to any of his youth national team coaches. Arena is not such a hard-ass or tyrant that he tells the coaches whom to select and play. Like most good macromanagers, he hires the guys to do a job and then gives them the autonomy to sink or swim on their own decisions.

Besides, do you really think Arena has time to scout Notre Dame and North Carolina games and figure out if Greg Dalby is a better choice than Jamie Watson or Jemal Johnson?

Sigi, Hackworth, Ellinger, Myernick and Rongen pick (ed) their own players for the baby nats.

17. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm not saying he scouts every single player and makes the call on who makes the final squad. But I'm sure on important decisions he has a say.
    An example would be high school sports. The Varsity coach doesn't run practice or coach JV, sophmore games, but since his future performance depends on developing talent at the lower-level, you bet he has some say in who he wants seeing PT.
    Has there ever been an American-eligible player who played first-team EPL ball that hasn't major contributor to the USMNT?

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why is the team from Plymouth, England called the Pilgrims?

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I dunno. The book Pilgrim's Progress, as far as I can tell, is about some English guy travelling through the Valley of Humiliation and the Slough of Despair. As much as it sounds like LA, I think it might actually have nothing to do with the United States, Thanksgiving and our forefathers at all.

20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just get the impression that JJ somehow has a higher standard to live up to than most YAs. Many lesser players have been called up for training camps and the like, not to mention the U20s.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Argyle_F.C.

The club takes its nickname from the vast number of people that left Plymouth for the New World. The club crest features the Mayflower, the Plymouth ship, which carried many of the original pilgrims. Their mascot is known as Pilgrim Pete.

22. Kaos XIII

Kaos XIII Red Card

Mar 28, 2005
    Houston, Texas
  23. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    JJ looked very active against Villa. I really liked what I saw out of the kid. If I were to name a player in the MLS he most resembled, it'd be Eskandarian except JJ is faster.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Is he a lefty?