PBP: Pids @ Portland • Sat., Mar. 24 • 8:30pm • MLS Season Pass

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Feb 22, 2024.

1. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have Lewis? Fire Padaig!

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you happy for Yapi?

3. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ronan has to finish that

4. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side we scored the last two goals, and won the second half.

5. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Well, another long painful season ahead...Can't wait to get a tone deaf email this week asking if I want to buy patio seats for the home opener

COMtnGuy, nowar99 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    If yall want to look on the bright side, Rapids found the back of the net twice tonight!

And we outscored them in the 2nd half!

Woo! :confused::confused:

7. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Me 20 minutes into the new season.

[​IMG]

8. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it wasn't the officiating. It was nice to win the second half "friendly" 1-0. Yeah, Portland does have a good home field and can run up the score at home. Rapids have done that, too, at home. But here we are (again) with a series of road matches to start the season, and a blowout loss to firmly entrench the Rapids in last place (again). Maybe I will save this post as I seem to be able to use it every year......

R

COMtnGuy, rapidsmarc and JasonMa repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our last 4 openers combined we've been outscored 11-1. And the first of those (in 2021) was a 0-0 draw.

TheWarmBurger, Riccardo55 and safcfan repped this.
  10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Larraz and Ronan in the middle was a pretty massive mistake. Without an actual DM in the middle to help break up plays in transition, this isn't going to work. Larraz in particular was poor, and it forced Rosenberry out of position multiple times. Rosenberry himself also had his worst ever game in a Rapids kit. He had a hand in all four goals. Also, Navarro better start scoring goals. If we don't see any production in the next 3ish games from him, it's never gonna happen.

11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I didn't renew season tickets for the first time since the dick opened. That is the good news. Bad news is I broke down and bought the MLS season pass just before the game. There goes $80 down the drain.

Have tickets to the home opener next weekend. Is it wrong to wish for a snow classico so there is something if interest?

12. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Rod1916, post: 42037435, member: 207975”] Have tickets to the home opener next weekend. Is it wrong to wish for a snow classico so there is something if interest?[/QUOTE]

It is not wrong, it is wise.
    R

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Hey at least with Season Pass, you can watch all the other, better teams play soccer. Seattle - LAFC was very entertaining!

14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I actually think last night the biggest problem wasn’t the lineup. The guys all fought hard.

The biggest problem was the tactics. Portland was defending compressed, and attacking wide. We were defending compressed, and then trying to attack down the middle in possession. All of this fed right into Portlands gameplan.

That then forced Larraz and Ronan into constant 1v1 defending that if they got turned in, it led to a wide open overlap with numbers.

If Armas is unable to adjust tactically to what the game gives, then we are in for a LOOOOONG season. You can’t square peg round hole your way through this league. I get we wanted to play aggressive, tactical soccer. But last night, the guys were putting in intense effort, but not in an effective way.

It was encouraging to see everyone still fighting for something - but man, if the opposition is giving you wide spaces to attack in, by golly, go attack them. And if they are constantly spraying it out wide - stop leaving them open space on the turn!

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not reading through the entire thread, post game before I state this -

In the first 20 minutes the Rapids were slow to the ball and quick to lose it when they did get a touch. And when the Timbers got possession they were at the 'Pids very quickly which is part of the reason why the defense was exposed so often in that period of time.

After the Timbers' third goal they ceded possession to some extent and it allowed that Rapids to get a bit more comfortable. It was good to see that the Rapids didn't give up and really kept pushing for goals through the rest of the game.

In the first half it seemed Bassett was play very wide and Mihailovic was not much involved. Not a recipe for success.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Listening to the post game press conference - Armas acknowledges not winning enough second balls, etc. That's a start.

17. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I only watched the first half, but I noted the same bewilderment at the use of Bassett and Mihailovic. The midfield was very clogged on our possession, and Bassett was completely missing in action at least early in the game. Shouldn't Bassett be more central and Mihailovic out wide?

unkiemark repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Apparently, Mihailovic is more effective playing more in the middle than out wide, but so is Bassett. Not sure what the answer is. And it seems that in the second half this wasn't an issue.

rapidsmarc repped this.