Pictures of German Cities (Especially ones that have Bundesliga Clubs)

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Catfish, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yep
    On a sidenote (I am going to post this at some other places, too) I dislike Bigsoccers policy regarding NSR topics. Look at what happened to the German music thread, just nobody sees it there anymore, there is imho too much posted from American points of view for the non-american community to get into any discussion besides soccer. I would love to have a German board subforum for NSR threads, if you don't want those in the main forum.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Start a poll requesting an NSR subforum.

3. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Quite sober. There's a nudist area in the Tiergarten where people sunbathe naked. There's an area in the Englischergarten (sp?) in Munich as well. Very liberating!

4. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where else in Europe is there a concentration of skyscrapers like those in Frankfurt? A true downtown, in American parlance...

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Berlin's Potsdamer Platz may become close to it...lot of construction there, already 4-5 towers, probably more to come. Not to mention the TV tower (name SubPop I forgot...) and near Europacenter. Not intimidating towers, but tall enough.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Berlin will never look as Frankfurt. It si for sure different, propably bigger and nicer, but for sure different, and will never be able to compete when it comes to skyscrapers...
    (that from a guy who hates Frankfurt)

7. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Never said it would, Potsdamer Platz may come close, but that kind of ruins the European flavor of Berlin...Berlin has some nice buildings, some not so nice (East German Palace *bleh* is worse than some of the modern *bleh* buildings in Boston), but its part of the atmosphere, and having skyscrapers take away from it.

Case in point: Boston's Oldest Church is right next to the John Hancock Tower, the tallest building in US east of New York. THe Church would have been so much out of place if it was surrounded by buildings like that, fortunately, the Old Euro architecture of Newbury Street save it a bit.

8. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a lot of cranes in Berlin. I've been up in the TV tower. The sheer size and expanse of Berlin is impressive.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I didn't hold much hope when I went there for the CC semi-final, but I was quite surprised by the place. It is a lot better than I had anticipated and is definately not ugly.

10. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  11. SubPop77

SubPop77 New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Seattle WA/Berlin DE
    The TV Tower is a direct translation "Fernsehturm"

Oh, and are you dissing on the Palast der Republik?...it may be ugly, but I think it should stay, as it is a part of history...its set to be torn down in November

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I really do like Mainz. I left a lot of brain cells there on Rosenmontag back in 1985. :)

13. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think it is ugly and I think, for the record, it SHOULD be torn down because it is an unwanted reminder of the Honecker era. Put something nice there, there is enough relics of East Germany in the city, like the Fernsehturm and Checkpoint Charlie and the large apartment buildings there.

14. SubPop77

SubPop77 New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Seattle WA/Berlin DE
    it may be ugly, I can see that, but its a good example of DDR Architecture on some level. And I dont think Checkpoint Charlie is a East German relic, its more of an American relic I think...but thats just my two cents.

There is actually a really good book on this topic, what should stay, what should go in terms of Nazi and DDR buildings and memorials and how to remember and just about urban landscape in general in Berlin called "Ghosts of Berlin" by a professor named Brian Ladd, which can be found at amazon.com....a good read if you want to get an interesting view in the city..just have to plug it.

15. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't mind the Nazi buildings (despite its dubious history). Some of them look nice, although rather gargantuan. They use some of them, I remember Ministry of Interior was a Nazi building, although I think they have moved now...

16. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHG9suwD848"]YouTube - German cities[/ame]

17. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Man was I stupid in 2005. :D (I don't actually mind the Fernie now)