Picking my MLS team

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by UkMlsfan, Apr 15, 2006.

1. UkMlsfan

UkMlsfan New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I have decided to go for the team closest to my location which is in North East England.
    Granted its a fair distance but could someone let me know what my team would be Im guessing its one of the east coast teams.

Thanks in advance

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the Revolution.

3. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Even though it isn't the closest team to your location, I would say wait 'til next season to pick your team (follow the whole league this season) and then pick Toronto. I mean they're gonna be a "clean slate" as it were. And heck they even like to pretend to be British. :D ;)

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh, you don't want the revs. 'course, i wouldn't recommend new york either. and either of those two are better choices than dc. screw the east coast and plop yourself right down in the heart of this great country. kansas city is where it's at.

5. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like many teams in MLS, but my three favs are Houston, LA and NY.

6. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new york would be a good choice because this is almost like a reniassance year for them (or at least it's supposed to be). the new owners are putting alot of time and money into the team, and while it is still too early to see the results on the field (2 draws out of 2 games played), you can't help but feel that this year might be "the one".

aside from new york, other teams you might consider are chivas usa (they have been playing better than last year) and dallas (alot of exciting players and talented forwards).

(obviously dallas and chivas wouldnt be close to you geographically.. but hey, whats an extra thousand miles or so when you're already gonna follow a team across the atlantic, right? :cool: )

7. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Notice how this guy left out one team in particular? LOL!

If youre going for an East Coast team, clearly, D.C. United is the most tradition laden and decorated club in MLS. From the name, the shield, the classy kits, the championships, the legendary players that have brought honor to United, own down to some of the best soccer fans the United States has to offer, D.C. United is the clear choice. I think it says plenty of good things when most over seas soccer fans, especially european/ english ones not only know who D.C. United are, but often make comments like "Oh D.C. United is the Manchester United of MLS". When I ask why they say that, the answer is always the same, its because they have won so many championships.

The other one I might suggest would be the Revoloution. Damn good team, but not the greatest fan support, and no championships yet. The Revs do however have the potential to be one of the class clubs in MLS if they get it together up there in terms of fan support and getting into thier own stadium, and finally winning a championship or two.

The opposite end of that spectrum, would be the NY RedBulls. Never won a thing, and have largely been MLS's biggest failure that is still in existance today. Unless you are from new york, I would stay away from that mess.

If you dont care about where your MLS side is geographically located, there are a couple others I would suggest. Chicago Fire being the first. The only real difference I see between DC United and the Fire, is that DC United as won 4 championships, where Chicago has only 1. The fans there are fantastic, and its largely been a class organisation.

Honorable mentions go to L.A. Galaxy, won 2 championships, and has damn good fan support as well. The other goes to Houston Dynamo ( former San Jose Earthquakes). Well have to see how thier fan support in Houston is, but its the same team that was in SJ, and it has a fairly proud past with 2 championships under its belt as well.

Enjoy your hunt!

Let us know how it turns out! Regardless of your choice, im always impressed that MLS is getting noticed worldwide more and more.

8. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    We already have several 'boro supporters in our groups as well!
    You would fit right in.
    But the reason to choose DC United would be for the beautiful soccer and the rowdy fans.

9. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    WOW. Fans from England... Are we major now?

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Massive. We're massive.

Seriously, DC United is great. The New England Revolution would also make sense. If, however, you truly like being tortured then be a New York fan. That must be an emotional roller-coaster.

11. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are a fine choice. Just don't pick New York. :eek: Though it's your business which team you pick, I must lobby for DC United. The style of play, match atmosphere, badge, etc., are more in tune with what you're familiar with in the UK.

12. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    My Dear Sir,

I have come up with the perfect reasoning for your new MLS team.
    My stepfather is from London and played for Brentford in the old third division.He came to the States in the 70's.He settled in South Bend Indiana.Just a few months later he was sent to Houston Texas for a business trip.He met my mother there and married her less than six months later. They have been married for 27 years and have a son who is now 26 years old. He was at one time a member of our youth Olympic Deveopment squad in Soccer and went on to placekick for the University of Southern California.He now does some radio work out in Los Angeles for ESPN radio and works at a Golds Gym there while he tries to make it in Sports Radio.My stepfather considers himself a proud British/Texan and is still active coaching soccer in their home town in Central Texas for all of these reasons and because it is my team of choice you should become a Houston Dynamo supporter.

13. Tdotsoccer

Tdotsoccer Member

Apr 23, 2006
    The only similarities we have are that we speak REAL english.

14. UkMlsfan

UkMlsfan New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I have decided to go with 'local pride':) and choose the REVS

15. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they picked you...........that's how true fans are made, you don't pick the team, the team picks you.

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If you are "picking" a team don't pick DCU ;)