Pick-up games by City

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Monkey Boy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pick-up games are a great way for any player to have fun with soccer. No pressure and pure fun with the sport allows everyone to be creative with the ball. I highly encourage any coach out there to promote pick-up games for kids.

I would also suggest that coaches take advantage of local pick-up games to work on their own skills as well as have fun with the sport.

I started a thread to list current pick-up games by city for those who might live nearby or those who travel:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302648

Please go there and add any games you know about or to list one that you want to start. One game I organize is in Madison, WI during the summer on Thursday nights. Most of the players who show up are kids who live near the park and we all have a blast talking trying to pull off various moves and beat the shorts off the other guy. I play in many different adult leagues in the area, but I always have the most fun during these pick-up games.

As many coaches point out on these boards, there is way too much focus on winning games at an early age. Pick-up games are a great way to leave that focus behind and to just let kids enjoy playing, no pressure - all fun.