Pick up game in Georgetown in July?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Jacen McCullough, May 6, 2008.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Hey folks,

I'm going to be staying in Georgetown for a month this summer (July), and I was curious as to whether anyone on here knows of any regular pickup games in that area (I won't have access to a car). I'm mostly looking for a laid back fun game (I had an impressive shot in my youth. Now I have an impressive gut after the knee injury.:D The feet are still fast though.)

2. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    This thread might help.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/wiki/index.php/Mid-Atlantic_Pickup_and_League_Soccer

I have not played on the mall in a while, but there are always tons of friendly pick-up games there at all times of the day, all days of the week.

July may be a bit hot and stuffy, so your best bet may be early pick-up games on the polo field (next to Lincoln memorial) which are coed.

There are some early games on the ellipse (next to White House), but they can get pretty heated up (or at the very least a lot of mouthing off). :D

3. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    If you hadn't mentioned a knee injury, I'd suggest just going up to the astroturf field on top of the Yates Field house on the Georgetown campus. There are often pickup games going on up there on weeknights or weekend mornings, usually students. My men's team and some other teams I know sometimes do pickup games there.

But it's not great turf; it's old school astroturf, not the field turf stuff that at least plays like grass.

4. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    The Polo Grounds Saturday and Sunday morning and evenings, and most every weekday evening. At noon, Tuesday and Thursday on the Mall close to Air & Space. At noon, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on the Ellipse, behind the White House.

You're staying in a great place to find games. Should be very easy.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to bring a bike with you. It will make getting places much easier.