Pick the Ideal WCQ sites

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sweeper, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Here are my ideal sites:
    March 30 USA vs. Guatemala
    KC showed 30k strong in the Costa Rica match and should have a similar or stronger turnout for this match. Plus, with a Mexico match a few days before, flying to KC would be shorter and easier then flying to the East Coast.

June 4/5 USA vs. Costa Rica
    Shades of '97 all over again. Would be a nice, pro US crowd and should draw between 25-30k again in that tight Civic Stadium. Time for Portland to get another WCQ.

Aug. 17 USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago
    Give Foxboro its dues on this one-away support isn't as vital for this match and is closer for the Euro based players who would be in pre-season.

Sept. 3/4 USA vs. Mexico
    Columbus, OH
    Shades of 2001 all over again-I wish this gamer could have been in colder weather, but its a good option to still have.

Oct. 12 USA vs. Panama
    Rochester, NY
    Lay down some grass and give the new venue a twirl-should be open by August 2005. Would be pro-US, and once again close to our Euro vets.

Being reasonable, we will get 3 wins from our home matches, 2 ties, 2 away wins and 1 away draw. Thats 18 points.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Guat in Columbus
    CR in Foxboro
    T&T in L.A.
    Mexico in Columbus
    Panama in Dallas

Guats and Mexicans would outnumber US fans in any large stadium, or any non-midwest stadium. Foxboro always gets one, and June is good time for it, no football and weather OK. Plus, it's a wknd, they'll want big $$.

Wed. August 17th T&T is perfect for HDC--a stand alone date, no big immigrant base, and much of the country will be too hot for it. If HDC doesn't get this one, it won't get any.

Wed. Oct. 12th--Frisco, TX. Not too many Panamanians in N. Texas, weather has cooled off somewhat, weeknight so couldn't fill a big stadium, delivers on promise of nat. team games.

3. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala in Columbus (agree with what Autogolazo said)

CR in seattle

T&T in Philly - Just before football season, so the Linc will be free

Mexico in Portland - We need to save the most pro US crowd for the biggest game.

Panama in Foxboro - If it comes down to this game(I think most of us doubt it will - but just in case), a friendly and somewhat chilly Foxboro would be ideal.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday 30 March
    #6 USA vs. #2 Guatemala
    in Denver CO Easy turn around from Mexico at altitude Mexico plays in Panama and most Mexicans will stay home to watch this match. Not as many Guatemalans in the area. The closest thing to La Guerra Fria.

Saturday/Sunday 4/5 June
    #6 USA vs. #3 Costa Rica
    in Portland or Stanford Univ. Positive home crowd for a deserving place, good weather on a good pitch

Wednesday 17 August
    #6 USA vs. #5 T & T
    in Birmingham AL Big payoff at Legion Field in a large stadium and a Positive home crowd

Saturday/Sunday 3/4 September
    #6 USA vs. #4 Mexico
    in Columbus OH Don't mess with a good thing, home support, ticket control

Wednesday 10 October
    #6 USA vs. #1 Panama
    in LA at HDC One for the new home of US Soccer in decent weather at a time when points most likely won't matter

5. sinjin

sinjin New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Ohio
    Why not play Mexico in Hawaii? The mex fans won't travel to the islands!!!!

6. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    first home game---new brunswick, NJ Rutgers Univ.

why not?

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Wednesday 30 March
    #6 USA vs. #2 Guatemala

not real sure... i'd imagine it will stick with chicago or new england... i'd have guessed possibly colorado, but it's not kroenke controlled AND mls won't start yet... so no possible doubleheader

Saturday/Sunday 4/5 June
    #6 USA vs. #3 Costa Rica

in KC... they did a fantastic job last time... they deserve another

Wednesday 17 August
    #6 USA vs. #5 T & T

HDC... i'd rather not play one there... but they are going to get one... to me... it's either this one or panama... but i don't think we should put our last home game at the hdc...

Saturday/Sunday 3/4 September
    #6 USA vs. #4 Mexico

in Columbus OH Don't mess with a good thing, home support, ticket control
    (i'm keeping what this guy said)

Wednesday 10 October
    #6 USA vs. #1 Panama

Dallas does sound good for this one... reward the new stadium

i seriously can't imagine new england without a game... surely a bone will be thrown to kraft... right now... i've got hunt for 3 (dallas and c-bus for sure)... i can't imagine that columbus will not get mexico (who else... seriously???)

i also don't think a non-mls town will be brought into the fold... sorry, thanks for playing... get a damn team

kc could easily be dropped for something else... but rfk and san jose won't be replacing it... perhaps chicago or new england.... metros won't get it either...

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Neither will our European based players. :p

As far as the topic at hand:

March 30th- Guatemala

Columbus.

It's a crying shame we won't be able to ice the Mexitwats again. From now on, any home date against a Central American team goes to C-Bus. But since Kraft will be whining, it'll go to the Boro. Here's hoping the Fed doesn't keep the status quo.

June 4/5- Costa Rica

Kansas City.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

August 17th- Trinidad & Tobago

This one is a toss up. Dallas and LA will be pounding the desks because of their SSS, and the Pacific Northwest is howling for a qualifier. I want to give this one to Portland, but I know it's going to LA.

September 3/4- Mexico

Columbus Crew Stadium. No explanation needed.

October 10th- Panama

Frisco. Perfect scenario for Dallas. Good chance of HFA and the usage of their SSS.

9. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I would love for Portland to get a game, but the Portland Beavers AAA baseball team has home games scheduled for June 4/5, August 17, and September 3/4.

http://www.pclbaseball.com/schedule/?team=14

That leaves either Guatemala on March 30, or Panama on October 12.

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Guatemala - Columbus
    Costa Rica - Foxboro
    Trinidad - Denver ideally, but if the HDC or Frisco have to get thrown a bone, then there
    Mexico - Columbus
    Panama - Foxboro

Yeah, 4 out of the 5 games are going to Columbus and Foxboro. No, I don't care. Those are our 2 most proven venues, so they get the bulk of the games. Columbus gets both games where away support is a potential problem as well as one of the 2 dates with potential for chilly weather. Foxboro, where we've never lost a qualifier, gets the Panama game, which will help us not only in terms of the date (mid-October won't be sub-freezing, but it'll be a hell of a lot chillier than it ever gets in a country located a hundred miles from the Equator); also Costa Rica, altho I'd be open to putting that one somewhere else (Kansas City or Chicago would be nice, this is also the potential bone for HDC or Frisco but those places are too hot for a June game IMO--I'd pencil this one in for RFK except for the baseball issue). As for Trinidad, I'd like to see this one go to Denver where the altitude would play to our advantage, but since it won't happen, LA or Dallas would be OK.

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If DC is going to get the last hoorah for a World Cup Qualifier before the DC Expos start the Baseball season in RFK. I say let them have the Guats

Costa Rica should go back to K.C. My little superstition.

Trinidad & Tobago to Los Angeles

Mexico to Foxboro

And finally Panama to Dallas

I'm not saying Columbus shouldn't get one based on thier past two attendance woes with Grenada & Jamaica, just the Deep freeze idea we should always save for Mexico during a home qualifier in February. That's just how I feel. Columbus is a good site for a qualifier, but for the final ound against Mexico during the winter months, save Crew Stadium for the deep freezer.

So here is my opinion again

Guatemala: RFK
    Costa Rica: Arrowhead
    Trinidad & Tobago: Home Depot Center
    Mexico: Gillette Stadium
    Panama: Frisco stadium

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Guatemala--Foxboro
    Costa Rica -- Invesco -- reward Kroenke, play a coastal team at altitude, can train the Euros at that level for a few weeks.
    T&T --HDC- can probably have the Euros still around by this time -- no need to make the extra cross -country flight.
    Mexico -- Columbus -- Because .......
    Panama --- Frisco -- gotta pay the piper.

13. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Hartford would get one of these games. The atmosphere would be unparalled, considering the type of stadium and type of people. We riot over much lesser things than soccer (search "Dave Matthews Band" and "riot" and you'll get the picture).

We have a downtown with tons of bars a couple bus stops or a short taxi ride away from the stadium.

We have cold weather.

Tons of soccer.

Close to New Yawk.

Plus, it's a big-ish city with no pro sports, so people are more likely to get excited than all the spoiled other markets.

In closing, Foxboro sucks and it's a shame that mausoleum gets all the games when there's a much better situation right down the road. Put the March game in Hartford.

14. Trasher

Trasher New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    How long did you read through it before you relized it was the last cycle. Same people saying the same things. Even the suggestion that the US v Mexico game be played in Hawaii.