Pick 7 or 8 European teams that are going to advance the group stage

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Viking lord, Aug 15, 2022.

1. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have fun with this one:
    A: Netherlands- Qatar sucks and Ecuador is meh when not at elevation
    B: Wales- Think of the memes if England doesn't make it...
    C: None- I only get 7/8 and the FIFA Monkey Paw that was created long ago said that Mexico will always get out of the group
    D: France/Denmark- Unsexy but Australia is bad and I don't think Tunisia can pull the upset on either
    E: Germany- Japan gets to pull the upset on one, and I like watching Germany more
    F: Belgium- I just think Croatia is too old and prime for a flameout
    G: Serbia- More entertaining than Switzerland and Cameroon is legit bad so one of them is making it.
    H: None- Mostly because the above poster is kind of a dick

BorisG, Viking lord, Christina99 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    If these are the semi-finals I'm willing to bet a lot of money on a Brazil v Portugal final.

3. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The winner gets to decide the new name of the Portuguese language

4. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    NED, FRA, ENG, WAL, ESP, BEL, SRB, SUI, POR

chrisdf repped this.
  5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    1. Netherlands
    2. England
    3. Denmark
    4. Serbia
    5. Belgium
    6. Croatia
    7. Spain
    8. Portugal

Total of 8 European Teams I see advancing. I expect France to continue the World Cup curse. They are already showing many signs of weaknesses, and Pogba is just coming back from injury if he'll even make it.

Germany as well I feel are still inconsistent and are not developed yet with the younger team under the new coach. They have good players, but the team really lacks chemistry, and consistency. They're all over the place in many of the recent games. Since its in Asia as well, I expect Japan to upset them and make it as second behind Spain. I feel Japan being better equipped and having more chemistry and familiarity will catch the Germans off guard and surprise them.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    It's pretty much a coin toss at this point between Serbia and Switzerland in Group G.
    I personally have France still making it but only just. My casualty other than Germany is Belgium. I think Belgium are overall less solid than France and they have to deal with better opponents in their group than France. I take the combo Morocco+Canada over Tunisia+Australia any day of the week.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    We've already had this discussion in another thread about Belgium. Belgium is not nearly in decline as much as France is right now.

I think Serbia is the best that it's ever been and should beat Switzerland. In the last World Cup, the Serbians were robbed of a clear penalty against the Swiss as well.

Domitian repped this.
  8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Honestly this thread should have been called "Which UEFA teams will fail in the group stage?"
    We all know that much more European teams will qualify than they'll get grouped. So this would have made it a bit easier to evaluate things.

I'm slowly starting to get a sense which teams are for real and which teams are just overhyped.

9. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The likelihood of Argentina and Brazil in the one semi is quite high.. If England And Portugal make up the other semi, I would want ARG vs POR in the final . The final showdown between Messi vs Ronaldo...

10. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Of course I think a lot of neutrals would want to see such a final