Pia Sundhage or Jerry Smith?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lab99, Aug 11, 2002.

1. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Saw this over in the Philadelphia forum in a thread speculating on Pia Sundhage going to Boston. I think either would be a great choice for San Diego. What do you guys think about either of them as the Spirit head coach (not necessarily about whether they would except the position or not)?:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6194

Apologies to TritonSpirit if I stole your posting job. I saw that you had posted it early in the evening in the Philly forum, but I didn't see it in here yet.

2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Adding fuel to the fire . . .

Reposting from the Charge forum . . .

TS, if that blurb from Crow was true, it can be one of two things.

1. Crow casually talked to one and/or the other. I'm not sure what rules Woosa has about poaching in the middle of the season, but other pro sports leagues have explicit rules about non-tampering.

2. Crow is an idiot. Playing one off the other won't make him accomplish anything in the end. Some things were not meant for public discussion, especially personnel negotiations.

This thing about Jerry is news to me. If I was the lovely Cheryl Levick, SCU AD, I'd ask Jerry WTF is going on . . .

A cursory glance at the state of the league would make me think twice if I was in Jery's shoes. There are three reasons why I find it highly unlikely for Jerry to go anywhere.

1. A collegiate program offers security.
    2. As U-21 coach, the guy can evaluate players who may want to transfer to his program. Actually, Jerry may wish he was still U-19 coach, when he can really recruit newbies to his program.
    3. The pro coach must be able to clean house as s/he sees fit. The presence of "Founding Players" make this process difficult.

Back to Pia.

Conjecture it may be at this point, but two clubs have fired their coaches, and Boston may be looking for one in the near future.

Wherever Pia may end up, I wish her the best.

The Charge may be losing a vital member of their staff, but the reward, hopefully, will be a more competitive club coached by one of the better minds in the sport.

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I love that ending quotation from Shannon....says sooo much does it not?

I truly feel for the entire SD organization, especially the players- and I wish them all of the BEST of luck next and upcoming seasons.

5. macnmil816

macnmil816 New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Modesto, CA
    How funny would it be if we ended up gettin Jerry Smith?! Chastain's got Foudy's husband and Foudy would have Chastain's husband hehe.

I'm goin with Shannon, let's start gettin ready for next season.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Sundhage is totally responsible for the defense in Philadelphia, a defense where people actually pass the ball and work it out of the back.

She's also very responsible for choosing Pichon.

I would expect her, one day, to be the national coach for Sweden.

Whichever team gets her next year will be better, because she will make the current players BETTER, not a better teacher in all of wusa.

and what a better way to end this post by writing better again

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I wonder if any of Mr. Chastain's players/other staff at SCU have heard about this yet? I'm pretty sure that some players signed on to play at SCU knowing that Smith would be in it for the long haul and that the chances of winning another WCC are good.

Would the league have to buy out Mr. Chastain's contract at SCU before he began coaching in the league?

8. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Let's wait and see who is actually named HC of SD before speculating further.

I highly doubt that Jerry Smith will be taking over as HC of the Spirit. If I am proved to be wrong, I will honor all possible speculation that may occur.

The likelihood of Smith being head coach is fairly small, if there is even a likelihood at all.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pia because of her European connections.

Our foreigners are barely average, sorry to say.

10. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    From the San Diego Union Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/sports/news_1s12spirit.html

I hope Smith makes his mind up quick on way or the other!!

11. January 23

January 23 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    upper lower MI
    Not in San Diego right now. We probably have the strongest founding 3 on any team.

What I want to know is how the Freedom can win with an idiot coach and we can't...

12. Foudy118

Foudy118 New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    haha good question good question. but as for Smith, if i remember right (i could very well be wrong) but he just resigned his contract with SCU. and like someone else said, with him being SCU and the U21 coach he can look at the players developing. If he DOES take the SD job, will he stay as the U21 coach? if he does, this could help the SD squad in the future, because he will know which players to bring in. but i honestly dont see that happening, and i dont take Crow's words, he seems slimey to me and i wouldnt trust him. Besides what is wrong with his Assistant, why isnt he being looked at for the job? when Crow left and the assiatnt pulled out a 1-0 win over Atlanta i think he shoudl be looked at as well.

Tanya

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe 'cause our founding 3 aren't as good as you think they are...

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell, until this year Tom Tate had no experience as anything besides being a keeper coach. According to their website, he acted as the unpaid coach for the SDWFC this season. He has, though, had the benefit of being part of the coaching staff for the USD womens team.

15. Foudy118

Foudy118 New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    okie dokie, i did not know that. in that case, i say possibly leave him as an assistant or a keeper coach and look for someone else. Thank you for the info :)

Tanya

16. January 23

January 23 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    upper lower MI
    Please enlighten me.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From my WUSA Insider newsletter:

18. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    "as long as they understand the sport and the nuances that come along
    with it."

exact opposite of yourself eh Mr. Crow?

19. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Who's to say that EITHER one of the desirables, Sundhage or Smith, will take the job. Suppose Sundhage goes to Boston and Smith stays up north. Then isn't the team royally screwed, with no coach again, plus some worthless trades leftover from Juarez/Crow era, a likely 2nd draft pick in Welsh that the team doesn't need, and a couple of aging overextended franchise players?

Next year looks bleak.

20. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this morning's Union-Tribune

Spirit is extending search for a coach,

By Mark Zeigler, Staff Writer

August 22, 2002

Moments after the San Diego Spirit's final match this season, general manager and interim coach Kevin Crow said he hoped to have a new head coach hired in "seven to 10 days."

It's been 11, and the Spirit doesn't have a head coach.

***edited by mod***

Please don't copy entire article into post as that is against TOS and copyright laws.

Tsunami, once again, you are well aware of this.

Here's the link:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20020822-9999_1s22spirit.html

21. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best deal that can be made is to trade the #2 overall pick to SJ for Mr. Foudy as SD's new coach.

SJ can then pick Welsh, and they can sign Mr. Chastain as their new coach.

Both clubs will be in a win-win situation. SJ drafts the pick they need. SD gets a championship coach they need. Not to mention the fact that both clubs' captains will be ecstatic.

As I previously mentioned, for SD, the value of the #2 overall pick is bigger than the pick (Welsh) herself.

Should all this happen, cachundo should be SD GM.

But only if I don't have to report to Crow.

22. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    And that, to me, is the other big que mark. Just how in gods name did Crow get that promotion to Atlanta?

Aside from having had a hand in the Fleeting deal, (which I admit has the earmark of a successful trade. Who knows where that phrase originated - earmark?) just what exactly did this guy do for the SD franchise? Granted he was in on the Akide and the Rohbock deal, both of which were promising on the face of it, but didn't reap the benefits mgmt probably expected. On the down side, he blew the Swedes and the Nordby transaction, as well as the Kraus-for-round2-draft-pick to (god help us) Atlanta, of all teams.

I swear I'm done griping about Crow now, and am setting my sights on cachundo's scenario of trading Welsh for Mr. Foudy. Absolutely brilliant, if it could be pulled off. How about an email campaign to Mr. DiCiccio and Ms. Morgan? Perhaps they could be suade by public opinion to make an exception in this case and trade a player for a coach. Hey, couldn't hurt.

23. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A day later, I realized that it would take more than a draft pick for SJ to release Mr. Foudy from his coaching contract.

It would take the Welsh pick and Fleeting, at the very least.

Swallow hard, and do it.

24. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    There was talk last year that the WUSA did not want nepotism in the coaching ranks. I don't think they wanted Ian coaching Julie, Jerry coaching Brandi. I think it takes away from the league if they do that. So I would not expect that to happen.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From my Soccer America newsletter: