PI and Offside

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law 5, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Law 5

Law 5 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Ok,this may seem a little silly, but here goes...

I was watching a game today and this player (the same one each time) was continually being called for offside. The player was indeed guilty of this offense each and every time. I guess he just couldn't get the "...make sure there are two defenders..." speech! So it got me thinking (quite dangerous I might add).

If a player is constantly being called for an offside infraction, can they be shown a card for Persistant Infringement?

I've NEVER seen this happen, but...

2. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    They can but not for offside. But for stuff like swearing or repeated fouls which do not warrent a booking.
    This player probaly just had a hardtime watchin the defenders.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cannot receive a caution or be sent off for repeatedly being judged offside. You can receive a caution for persistent infringement. That is a caution for repeatedly committing fouls or for committing fouls against a specific player.

4. Law 5

Law 5 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: PI and Offside

Ah, but, Law 12 says, "persistently infringes the Laws of the Game." Not, "persistently infringes Law 12." Law 11 - Offside, is a Law of the Game.

5. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    If that was true the entire Sengal team would have been sent off during the worldcup. Also if your carring an owl you cannot be caught offside(thats true) but the refree had to show coomon sense putting a ball out of bounds is an infidgement of the game.

6. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Law 12 says that swearing is a send off. USSF ATR is 12.31 says it must be dircteed @ officials, opponents, or teammates.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you caution a player for this? If you interpret the persistent infringement clause braodly, then you could justtify it, but the player is only hurting his own team. You'd think that this player's coach and team mates would be better at punishing this player than the referee.

8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    This very question came up at a recert clinic a couple of years ago. And the answer was that no, persistent infringement does not apply to offside. I think it makes sense when you think about persistent infringement being a caution for acts against an opponent(s), while being offside is not really an offense committed against an opponent.

9. faizalenu

faizalenu New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think of the the "Persistant Infringement" is a card to give someone who is destroying the flow of the game through there actions.

I don't think that this would occur with offsides, which is usually cause by the defense skillfully executing a trap.

I could see this if you are doing a one man system, and someone is trying to take advantage of this by lining up offsides hoping that you miss it.

10. Law 5

Law 5 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Denver, CO
    The above three comments are all valid. However, we most always think of the offside call due to good defense or sloppy offense.

faizalenu said;
    "I think of the the "Persistant Infringement" is a card to give someone who is destroying the flow of the game through there actions."

Doesn't persistant offside calls disrupt the flow of the game?

GlennAA11 said;
    "This very question came up at a recert clinic a couple of years ago. And the answer was that no, persistent infringement does not apply to offside. I think it makes sense when you think about persistent infringement being a caution for acts against an opponent(s), while being offside is not really an offense committed against an opponent."

"Delay of game" is not against an opponent (meaning single person), it's against the team. I could see a clever coach using persistant offide calls to "delay the game" in the hopes of stalling counterattacks. Using this tactic the coach could disguise a delay as offside!

billf said;
    "Why would you caution a player for this? If you interpret the persistent infringement clause broadly, then you could justify it, but the player is only hurting his own team. You'd think that this player's coach and team mates would be better at punishing this player than the referee."

What if the player does it on purpose, say, to waste time, ...disrupt the flow of the game, ...etc.? Given those reasons, wouldn't it be prudent of the winning team to employ a "fake" offside tactic to waste time. This would prevent a direct call against "delay of game".

But the question remains, can you show a card for PI as a result of Offside? Law 12 clearly states, "persistently infringes the Laws of the Game."

PS - the game I was watching, the team was ahead and the player was called offside at least a dozen times during the second half. This is after I noticed the excessive calls, he may have been called "off" more times than that beforehand. Oh, and lest you think I was with one of these teams I was not. I was just watching, waiting for another game.

11. RushOnze

RushOnze New Member

May 16, 2001
    Colorado
    good...because it shouldn't.

12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    You seem to be mixing some things together here. A caution for delaying the game would, I suppose be for delaying a restart. Which is a different reason altogether for issuing a caution than persistent infringement. .

And anyway, what coach in his right mind would do this? How exactly would this stall a counterattack? If you think they're doing something outside the bounds of the law to waste time you can add time and/or you can caution a player if he's taking too long to get things restarted.

I think this question might actually be answered in the USSF Advice to Referees book.

13. Keith

Keith New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    I believe the interpretation of the "persistent infringement" law is directed at fouls, but includes infringements. This can also apply to offside. We might alter the "label" attached to the caution, and call it "unsporting behavior" (the catch-all misconduct) or we could call it "wasting time." Maybe the player is doing it deliberately, is this "dissent by word or action?"

I don't think there's really a specific limitation to what you can not give a caution for, and "persistent offside infringements" that put the game in disrepute or waste time seems appropriate. Any one care to ask the great JA?

14. pkCrouse

pkCrouse New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    No PI for Repeated Offside in USSF

Bingo. ATR 12.28.3: "... but infringements must be among those covered in Law 12 or involve repeated violations of Law 14. ..."

Anyone remember the thread from about 6 months ago where we joked about using a blue card for really stupid things done on the pitch? Blue card to the guy who keeps shooting his team in the foot for repeated Law 11 violations. ;)