PHP gets an INTL game...

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by boneall, Mar 16, 2009.

1. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    That's great news!!

3. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be the highest attended soccer game this year at PHP with 9,000 in attendance!!!!

I'll probably be there with my 12 year old daughter.

4. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely beats USMNT vs Guatamala again. I'm going to try to go too.

6. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Great it is on Wednesday.... In May. I'm pretty sure whoever schedules these things does not really take into account the regional fans that live outside the city. Ohh well ,c'est la vie! At least PHP and possible FCD will get some press.

7. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm struggling to find how this beats USMNT vs. anyone, please elaborate.

8. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boy, it's too early in the morning for blatant sexism for me.

short answer: USWNT vs Japan is a better competition than USMNT vs, say, Guatamala.

9. Ginge

Ginge New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Everton FC

it isn't sexism if it's true. woman's soccer sucks.

10. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better competition, three times slower. Plus vs. Guatemala you get to yell at El Pescadito for diving.

11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard women's NT soccer is little better (if at all) than Men's high school soccer. I only watch the women play when it's a World Cup or Olympic competition.

The saving grace is the US WNT is amongst the best in the World. Can't say the same for the US MNT.

12. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if speed is of greater concern to you than competition, why not be a NASCAR fan?

or why be an MLS fan when you can watch a Euro league?

13. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said I don't watch both, but it's pretty tough to go to a Euro match every week ;). I also didn't say I wasn't going, just making the comment that USMNT is more entertaining regardless of the opponent, IMO. Go to FCD/Seattle on 5/16, then USWNT on 5/20 and then tell me which one had more action.

14. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all should go to a Major League Baseball game versus the aforementioned high school soccer game and tell me which had more action. "Action" is not the same thing as compelling competition. Different strokes for different folks, of course, but singling out women's soccer as undeserving of your attention does smack of sexism, especially when you support a third-rate league in a soccer-backwater like we all do.

15. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction and clarification - we are a THIRD RATE TEAM in a SECOND RATE LEAGUE.

And women's soccer is slow. Technical. But slow.

Just saying.

16. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this IS sexism. Period. The women can play technical and very GOOD soccer. Yea, granted, it might be slower than the men, but it does NOT "suck." Oh, and maybe they don't beat each other up (as in lots of physical fouling) as much as the men do. Watch Hope Solo play or better yet -- Marta of Brazil (who will be playing for the only good team in LA, the Sol) -- and then tell me exactly why you think it "sucks." For example, watching ANY team (male or female) play disjointed, "kick the long ball" soccer sucks . . . Watching ANY team play with good possession, lots of connected passes, etc. is fun!

:mad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4y5AdXKg3c"]YouTube - Hope Solo Great Goalkeeper[/ame]

17. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must spread rep before giving to hutchtx again...

it's tough being in the enlightened minority on a sports message board, eh? ;)

18. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas represents the highest caliber of play "locally available" on a regular basis. And it's hard enough to watch these matches after a steady diet of European football on TV. Nevertheless, it's the best available if I want to see a game in person. I don't frequent lower level soccer matches (e.g. local MEN's amateur league, high school soccer, etc...) so maybe I'm just not that big a fan...

I don't watch baseball games either. Too slow.

US vs. Japan is an international game which is somewhat of a novelty. Whether this friendly would be worth the inconvenience of a drive across the metroplex in the teeth of rush hour.....? It might be if it were a World Cup match.

19. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! :)

Being the mom of a daughter who plays soccer (not that she wants to go pro, or anything -- she just plays for fun in a rec league) who says that Mia Hamm is one of her heroes, comments like that REALLY upset me.

Oh, and, overall, you guys are a fun, intelligent bunch! ;)

20. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this discussion somewhere else (this board? the WPS board, maybe? I forget.). What you're not realizing is that Women's soccer is by definition DIFFERENT than men's. Unfortunately, it looks so similar to men's soccer that it is often judged with identical criteria. A USWNT friendly is the highest locally available level of soccer-played-by-women. What we watch with FCD is the highest locally available level of soccer-played-by-men.

Now, the two may be similar enough to you that you're not interested in the one that doesn't have all the criteria you look for in sports entertainment, and that is absolutely FINE, but some comments here (including one possible interpretation of your comment #11) are equating the two games as though they were IDENTICAL, and one was inherently inferior.

This is the same sort of mindset as complaining that the networks go all out covering the BCS title game or March Madness. After all, those are not the best available players playing their sports. What they both are, however, are high levels of football-played-by-eligible-college-students abnd basketball-played-by-eligible-college-students.

It's valid not to be interested in either college sports or women's soccer because the assembled teams could not successfully compete under largely similar between-the-lines rules against teams with less restrictive membership criteria, but to say something is inherently worse because it is by rule limited to women raises the specter of sexism.

21. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped, if I could!

You know . . . I never thought of it the way you put it here. Thanks!

22. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POSITIVE Rep for Hutch for politeness in expressing her point of view -
    :D

and boo to whoever neg repped HutchTX for her comment (do you neg rep anyone who has an opinion different than your own?) - watch out - instant karma's going to get you!
    :|

23. zkat

zkat New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Dallas
    I am usually a lurker, very rarely do I post, BUT this post was enough to bring me out of the dark.

First, I must point out that you wrote "I've heard", which equates to a third grade junior high level. If you have no first hand knowledge of Women's soccer, then you have no business making a judgement on the level of play.

Second, I truly would love to see you go head to head with any of the women in the National Team pool. While the game is played differently - it is quality soccer.

And yes - for what it is worth - I am a girl and I have played my whole life and I play with the guys and hold my own.

Kat.

24. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chazsoccer, DeigoRed, and I welcome you to the Vast Minority among this B.S. Board . . . the female soccer fans! :D

25. soccerlube

soccerlube Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Gonzales, TX
    As a male fan of women's soccer, I will have to completely agree with hutchtx on this