Photo Proof USA fans were actualy at Azteca yesterday

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Onionsack, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

From here it looks like USA fans were everwhere...l

ooks like a shot of the "worst US fans" and friends :rolleyes:

2. HendersonNYC

HendersonNYC New Member

May 20, 2008
    New York
    Look at that...no one's mouth is even open!! They're not even singing..and you call yourselves supporters

3. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very Cheeky ;)

But honestly ..what can we do to increase the US Supporters numbers..Not just for the NYC area..but all across this great land ???

4. HendersonNYC

HendersonNYC New Member

May 20, 2008
    New York
    Find a FO that actually cares about THEIR product, OUR team, and the USA's advancement in competition's by putting the games in better supported areas to make it difficult for the opposotion to show up and not worry about selling out the stands. Seriously..fine, you sold 50,000 extra tickets...FOR one game. And if anyone went to the game and didn't feel proud to be an american on "home" soil and have garbage thrown at them, or those that might have watched it for the first time and saw us get trounced, we now might have lost those fans for life. So those 5,000 fans might sporatically buy a ticket for a game now..intsead of go to every game, possibly bring a guest and then they might start buying tickets, etc etc etc.

When they start caring about their team then maybe we'll get more followers.

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it has to be a grassroots effort, we cant wait for the USSF. I know for a fact we got at least 7 new supporters yesterday with our group. I agree..we need to spread the word.

6. Hungry Dave

Hungry Dave Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there up in row 33 singing and cheering the whole time with 3 of my friends. I had a great time until the flood gates opened but still was yelling the whole game. That was pretty crazy how all the garbage and bottles were flying down on the US section. I was lucky enough to be under the roof so I didn't get hit by anything but where was security on that?

Also, as I was walking out I saw a guy get punched in the face pretty hard. What was the story with that? Luckily, it got broken up pretty quickly so there wasn't a big fight.

7. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    this was a CONCACAF tournament, not a home match. the USSF couldnt decide to put it in a small venue. we should be happy that the match and tournament was in the USA, it could have been elsewhere.
    if we want more supporters in the stands we need more people that are passionate about the sport.

8. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of my general American sports fans cared about this game and actually wanted to go. I remember gauging interest in doing that bus from Jack Demseys to Giants Stadium and everyone was into it. It was going to be me +10-20 probably. But Americans, especially the casual fan, aren't as eager to buy tickets right away. They have to debate about it until gameday, by which the tickets were sold out. The only way I was able to get one extra ticket was through re-sale. The others ended up watching it at home.

That one casual US Soccer told me he is a fan for life now. Personal growth like this will eventually cement itself into a solid fanbase. I love almost all American sports and soccer is byfar the most personal in terms of meeting players, heads, GMs and such. And through personal growth with people we can grow the fan base.

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The start is that a group in each City has to step up and take lead - then those leaders have to work together - cant expect NY guys to recruit in CA - You have Sams ARmy - American Outlaws - gotta get them involved!

With the Push up to the world cup - using the tools these groups have and the voices of all the supporters - you really can get a "THis is your Country..Support em 2010" type of campaign going!

Problem is - we ALL HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER ON THIS!

ONce you get casual supporters (who will watch the World Cup) into some pubs with Americans singing US songs etc - they will latch on - a few of the new guys on our bus said - I was a casual fan - now I want more hanging with you guys!

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

WTF is all that red doing in Azteca? And how did they get such prime seats behind the goal?

11. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought there were rows of other US supporters outside of 101....then I realized that those were empty seats. :(

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

CONCACAF (Jack Warner) just cares about grabbing as much money as he can.

If US Soccer wants home field advantage, they'll put a game in a small stadium like Columbus.

13. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta be a photoshop job :D

14. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We couldnt hear too much on TV of you guys, but look at that section - thats great.

Everyone here is right, it has to be a grassroots effort. Sams Army and American Outlaws, by organizing different cities, thats the best way. And then all these cities can convene together for these big matches.

BTW, I love the musical instrument in the pic. I swore I heard it yesterday. If I knew anything about music Id call it something other than "musical instrument"

15. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    US Soccer has done a fairly good job of doing that this year. of course, the match at Soldier Field rather than Toyota Park and the RFK Stadium match might prove otherwise. this was a tournament final, not a home match so US Soccer didnt get the luxury of putting it in a small stadium. thats what they did for the Qualifier in February and it worked.

16. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in no way saying that we were loud enough, but Fox Soccer Channel and Telemundo are notorious for not having good production quality, especially in getting good audio. I've seen a number of games after being there and realized they were two different atmospheres comparing TV to real life (even seating in a neutral non-SG section).

With that said, 5,000 fans can't really do much to 75,000.

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the instrument you're referring to is the tuba. The tuba actually was part of a whole band at the game, including a couple of trumpets and a couple of trombones. Also ESC has a coronet player. So I wouldn't be surprised if you did hear some of it.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The band guys, who I think told me in CBus that they went to Bucknell, are awesome. Hands down.

19. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    By the way, if anyone ever complains about why they should wear red, show them this picture and then give them a moment to apologize.

20. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen brother, amen.

21. GoodOlBoy Andrew

GoodOlBoy Andrew New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lehigh, actually....you had the right conference.

22. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god he didn't say Lafayette!

And props to you guys yesterday. You were great in a supporting role!

23. GoodOlBoy Andrew

GoodOlBoy Andrew New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, true. Thanks, man. There's a lot to be said for just inviting a casual soccer fan. Once they go to a match, they'll be hooked. I know I was. It's great to see familiar faces at every match, too - regardless of location.

24. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addictive, ain't it?

Next thing you know, you'll be racking up frequent flyer miles as you follow the team wherever....

25. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you people bloody serious? your really going to bash the American supporters that ACTUALLY SHOWED UP?
    I got my ass up at 5 in the morning to drive to this game with a few friends, only to find approximatley 5,000 americans to counteract the 75,000 mexicans.
    If your a fan of the USMNT and your going to sit there bashing other fans, go f*ck yourself. Why werent you all at this game?
    Its kinda hard to cheer for your team when your down 5-0.