Phone Calls.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by fidlerre, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    So how many phone calls have you gotten from George Bush, your own Secretary of State and countless other organizations telling you to make sure you get out and vote...and vote for "their" issues?

Personally I am sick of going home every night from work and finding 2-3 messages on my answering machine telling me how I am suppose to vote; whether it's for a local school levy issue or George Bush telling me how scary John Kerry is and I should make sure to vote George/Dick on November 2nd.

2. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not in a battleground state.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of calls for you is probably indicative of where you live, in battleground Ohio, but up here in New Hampshire, two calls to our house, as far as I know. One right-to-life urging votes for President Bush and all pro-life candidates and another from some Reep organization.

I suppose they work somehow, but political calls during dinner hours can't actually make that much of a difference. Reminds me of that Simpson's episode where Homer got that calling machine and tried to get everyone in Springfield to send him $1. I think he got $2, one from Hans Moleman and the other that he sent himself....

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Not a single one. I live in Maryland. :)

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way way WAY more than three. Most of 'em have been from the RNC. These guys are blowing some serious money in Ohio.

6. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Join the 18% of Americans without a land line and you won't get any calls from Bush/Cheney or any from the pollsters. My house is quiet when I get home from work -- just the way I like it. :)

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Okay, then I am not the only one.

Every single call I have gotten has been from Bush or some splinter GOP group.

I was curious if my number was in their databank or something.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    0. A college student in a non-battleground state. You think they care about me?

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    0. Nope, no battle ground here. The only question is whether Boxer gets 70% of the vote.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. An assemblyman from a neighboring district called to tell me to vote for a city council candidate that I already was going to vote for.

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0. God bless the Democratic machine of Chicago. :)

12. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am one of this new group of voters known as "College Students with No Land line." I love my cell phone.

That and I'm pretty sure nobody is calling anyone in Alabama anyhow.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing. BTW, I hesitate to say with certainty that 100% of the calls have been from Goopers, but I can't recall the DNC calling even once. Laura Bush and Ed Gillespie have both left messages on my machine!

I did, however, get a mailing from the Democrats with a sample ballot for Greene County.

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, my dad - who is a lifelong gov't employee working for the Air Force - is big-time anti-Bush. One of his buddies at work actually photoshopped my dad into a photo of Kerry and sent it thru the mail. My mother almost threw it out (thinking it was just another piece of political junk mail), when she noticed that the guy standing there with Kerry looked awfully familiar. :D

15. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I've gotten one so far - wasn't home but the left a voice mail. It was a woman in my neighborhood who gave her name AND ADDRESS before encouraging me to get out and vote for Kerry. I thought that was a little wierd, but maybe it's a strategy to try and localize the race and make it a little more personal.

In the last election after the Wellstone plane crash I got recorded calls from Walter Mondale, Norm Coleman, Ted Kennedy, and a couple other national heavyweight type politicians. Haven't gotten one of those yet this year, but I imagine they're coming soon.

16. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I have gotten 6 calls so far. 5 from the reeps. frustrating as hell.

17. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just got two today. Can I change my vote?

18. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I got calls from Oscar de la Hoya before his last two PPV fights. :D

I did get a call at work from some guy asking me to help pay/donate for an ad that was to run in some "national" newspaper (NYtimes maybe) where Bush would list a quote from me (made up by them) saying how I was in favor of his policies in regards to small businesses.

Thankfully, just as I am finishing my basement, I got two pictures of Bush and Laura on the ranch. Wow, my dart game has improved! Thanks Bush!

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    One, from a moderate-conservative Republican (Steve Poizner), who's running for assembly against a Berkeley-style lib (Ira Ruskin).

Won't get one for president race here in HighCal.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I got a call from Cobi Jones urging me to go to the Galaxy game this weekend.

Does that count?

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I got the Laura Bush call today upon my return from work.

November 2nd cannot come soon enough.

22. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    The Firefighters' Union called me today to encourage me to vote for Christine Gregoire (D) for Governor, Patty Murray (D) for Senate, and John Kerry.

I was gonna vote for all of them anyway, but now I'm doing it for a cause!

Or something.

23. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Being the single deciding vote in this election, I get calls all the time. Between AFLette and myself, we've probably gotten at least twenty so far. Now granted, some of those were probably for loval elections as well, but I erase the message as soon as it starts into who they are and never bother who exactly they want either of us to vote for.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got another one - this time from a local volunteer "calling on behalf of the President". I don't even answer my phone anymore unless I know the number on caller ID.

25. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 a day for the past few days. and those are just the ones that leave messages because i don't answer my phone.

****ing Ohio.