Phoenix Monsoon

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by monsoon soccer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how much tickets are? On the website it says the only available tickets are $40-$60 tell me this isn't true.

2. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what they are charging except to say it's not 40-60.

3. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Avondale? I must be drunk on eggnog. Where in the valley is Avondale.:p

what is link to the the club's website?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's next, "Southwest Weather Event"?

6. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did they change their name? Trademark infringement?

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know. I believe the new ownership wanted a fresh start, but you don't normally see it happen mid-season.

8. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
  9. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New ownership?! Stu is no longer involved?

10. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my understanding that Stu is no longer directly involved(indoor or outdoor).

The indoor team has indeed been rebranded as the Storm and has a new ownership group that is waiting out this season and planning to start fresh next season.

The Monsoon, as of now, will be the outdoor team and has paid the NPSL league fee. No word on where they will play.

The two teams are not affiliated with each other.

11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Wow, amateur hour for this footbasl club it a good thing they are becoming two different organizations. Monsoon was at least unique name, storm is so generic it sounds like a AAA baseball team. they really shouldn't have put out that website until it was ready.

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the new owners or previous owners in anyway associated with the USL-Pro team?

13. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean the NPSL team, one of the original owners is the principal.

I believe a fee has been paid for a USL-Pro franchise by the folks associated with the Bento academy.

14. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Bento Academy have a website or something where they are releasing this info? (Maybe they should hire Stu Starkey to be their PR guy).

It will cost about $70K for a PDL team annually, so I can only guess it will be more for a USL Pro team.

Bento seems to be located on the West Side, so I imagine that is where the team will play. Good luck to them. I doubt I will drive that far to see them and I definitely won't sit out in 100+ weather to see them.

I think it would be more practical to start an Inter-AZ winter league.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a complex on the west side, right? I know they have fields, don't know about infrastructure that they need or that has been added recently. I don't think there's any, but I haven't been out there.

No matter how many times you post that, it's not going to happen unless you personally pony up for it.

16. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do plan on supporting the outdoor team once the season starts at least for a few games. I have my doubts for them getting a place to play with only 3 months left to go and no announcement, no website and no stadium.

http://www.azstormfc.com/ the storms website is pretty barren a single page that has three links that go to soccer locker.

I hope someone is taking this seriously.....................

17. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Locker has an indoor field where the Storm will play the rest of this season.

I was at the Westside Complex last year(it's 2nd of operation). Was pretty bare bones operation with many fields. However last year several MLS teams and the USMNT U-20 team were supposed to train and play there but found the fields sub-standard, so they trained at Reach 11. Don't know if that's been rectified for this year.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With an 18-foot-high ceiling.

If the fields aren't up to snuff and you don't have anything else going for you, I could see that as an issue. Reach 11 is a nice facility (and close to me, yay) but difficult to stage actual league matches at because of ingress/egress and amenity issues. Right now there is no semi-perfect place for an outdoor team to play. Or an indoor team, for that matter.

19. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm happy with my career and I'm content to be a fan. I don't have the desire to be part of an ownership group.

But I'll be happy to repeat my opinion over and over.

Let me ask you Ken, if you are going to watch D4 or D3 level soccer, would you rather see it in July at 100+ or January at 65? If the league encouraged you to tailgate the events, would you rather be grilling bratworst in an asphalt parking lot in August or November?

You would be wise to jump on my bandwagan and start saying, "I agree, Gantry is right". Because unless Ken is going to go out there and build an indoor, climate controlled, natural grass stadium, no soccer team that plays in the Arizona summer is going to have the critical attendence necessary to be financially successful.

Think about it. What is Arizona known for? Winter Golf and winter baseball. Winter is our high tourist season and summer is our time to stay in and avoid the deadly heat.

20. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
  21. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see they decided it was the best decision to NOT verse Tucson every year

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Verse" isn't a verb.

23. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who can argue that it's a good idea to set Tuscon to poetry?

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_kfGfEo9Q"]Goin' Back To Tucson - Supersuckers - YouTube[/ame]

25. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, but they did not play this song when they came back to Tucson. Ha ha ha. I like the band though. Definitely a poor man's Social Distortion.
    You really have to grow up in Tucson to appreciate this song.

I hated this place growing up. I could not wait to move away, then I did for 10 years. You realize what this place has when you live in other states. Sure we do not have an ocean or grass, but we certainly have a beauty if look in the right spot. I love the small town aspect even though it is ridiculous sometimes. I also love the Phoenix Tucson rivalry that will always exists. Whether it is ASU/UofA, Democrat/Republican, or hopefully one day a pro soccer rivalry.