Phoenix Monsoon

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by monsoon soccer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. monsoon soccer

monsoon soccer New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    You still can name the mascot but the team name is done.... Phx Monsoon oh and sorry but the fan club has a name too, Monsoon Maniacs.... Even the coach has a name but not telling you that one!

GO USA!

2. robash

robash New Member

May 28, 2010
    Re: MLS Phoenix - Name the Team!

Might have to start coming up with name ideas for a supporters club...

3. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What league are you playing in Stu?

4. monsoon soccer

Nov 15, 2009

We have had wonderful meetings with both leagues. I think the future is in the hands of the USSF. In 2011 I think it will be a combination still of the two but I have no insight. Right now I am mostly focused on structure, sponsorship and meetings with city officials. Most exciting is the formation of a true Western Conference which is the economic model that will let us prosper.

Thanks for asking

5. monsoon soccer

Nov 15, 2009

Response to ROBASH...We have one supporters club already called the Monsoon Maniacs. As a member of the Maniacs you receive some of the following....

Great price discount on tickets, exclusive merchandise, discounts on all concession items, private stadium entrance, prefered and discounted parking, presale rights on all events including international matches and concerts at the venue, private meet and grerets with players and staff and the right to vote on some positions within the starting lineup.

I think we have put a nice package together. Of course I also support any other effort you might undertake!

6. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you actually have a franchise yet with a real league? Seriously. Anyone can create a web page and want a team, but actually being a team is completley different. Have you actually paid a franchise fee and become part of a real league? Sounds a lot like the cart before the horse.

7. monsoon soccer

Nov 15, 2009

As I mentioned, we have not joined a league because we do not have one to join however we have been speaking both with USL and NASL and will see who is sanctioned and how that plays out for next year. In the mean time, to begin play next year, we hope in either of those leagues, we are planning to play in the newly forming Western Soccer Conference with teams from six cities in the west. You might say we have the horse and the cart just not all hooked up. Currently (as honestly as I can be) we have a coach, formed the corporate entity and have begun talking with the City of Phoenix on a home field site. All I can promise you is that we are playing soccer in 2011... Oh and it will not be in the MLS! If I had to guess it will be USL but I am not guessing.... So please simply keep an eye on us and when you think your ready to join us I hope you will join the fan club! The web site just is there to keep you as up to date on what we are doing as far as it progresses. Hope that helps???

8. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the USL and NASL have not signed off? How can you guarantee play in 2011?

Also, the air conditioned grandstands at Phx Greyhound Park......I love the location but wouldn't that kill off all atmosphere by putting glass between the game and fans? Has there ever been an actual sporting event that has completely seperated the fans from the game by a pane of glass?

9. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, I think there is some miscommunication going on here.

Professional soccer in the US means you are a USSF sanctioned league.

For USSF division 1, this is MLS consisting of a western and eastern conference.

For USSF division 2, this used to be USL until a few teams split and reincarnated the NASL. USSF is temporarily acting as the sanctioning league and the USL and NASL are conferences within that league.

When 'Monsoon Soccer' talks about a Western Conference, he must be talking about something completely independent of USL, NASL and USSF.

The USL and NASL will not divulge who they are in negotiations with for confidentiality reasons. However, I have had a few communications with the USL and they are as confused as I am when I mentioned some sort of Western Conference.

They are still a valid league and are interested in expanding regardless of the USL/NASL shake out. People interested in a USL team need to go through their process. 'Phoenix Monsoon' does not appear to have even attempted to do this.

Instead, it sounds to me that 'Phoenix Monsoon' is talking about forming his own, non-sanction (and therefor non-professional) league with 5 other teams. Then at a later date trying to convert those teams to USL or NASL, division 2 pro teams.

In my opinion, this wouldn't amount to anything more than what we already have with the Phoenix Sahuaros which is a USSF division 4 team (with NPSL as the sanctioning league).

I don't know much about the City of Phoenix and taking over the Phoenix Greyhound Park site to convert into a soccer facility, but I suspect this is very unlikely in light of the budget crisis. In a year where the city has sold it's state capital to raise revenue and address the short fall in the budget, I think it would be political suicide for any politician to take on a pet project like building a soccer specific stadium.

Besides, cities are rarely in the business of constructing commercial stadiums like this. Chase Field, University of Phoenix Stadium, etc, they were all built by private entities. A city government might build something like the Reach 11 Sports Complex, but that is no where close to a professional sports venue; it's a park for intramural leagues.

Whatever 'Monsoon Soccer' is working on, he is doing it in his own way. It seems to be the jump first then look approach. While he may have communicated with the USL and NASL, he is not following the process. I can only guess that Phoenix Grayhound Park as a venue is complete speculation.

But hey, good luck to him. I guess there still are a few cowboys left in Arizona.

10. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A couple of things. You don't have to be sanctioned by the USSF to be professional. If you are paid to play, you are professional.

I believe the Arizona Sahuaros' sanctioning comes from USSF via the USASA, as they are an amateur club. Should the NPSL be able to reconstitute a SW division, then I guess the Sahuaros could claim they are sanctioned via two organizations, USASA and NPSL.

11. PhoenixSoccer

PhoenixSoccer New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually the NPSL is a sanctioned USSF Division IV league, which is what the Sahuaros play within. The United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA) is the actually an organization for amateur soccer in the United States.

You are right - you can technically be "professional" if you are paid. However, to have a legitimate team you must be part of a sanctioned league, similarly to those teams playing in the 8-9-10th (or lower) divisions in England. Those players make a few hundred pounds and are technically a professional. But all of these leagues are sanctioned by The FA.

I believe that what Gantry is saying is that it only is truly professional soccer if they are part of a league sanctioned by the USSF. At this point the Monsoon have absolutely nothing - no franchise, no league affiliation, no stadium.....etc

12. robash

robash New Member

May 28, 2010

If this guy wants to foot the bill for a pro soccer team in the valley then he can call it whatever he wants imo, a name certainly won't stop me from supporting a local club.

13. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to be clear, I wasn't intimating that the NPSL wasn't sanctioned by USSF, but that the USASA is(otherwise it couldn't participate in the Open) and as a member of USASA, the Sahuaros would be 'sanctioned' even if they weren't a NPSL team.

And yes, I did understand the 'meaning' of Gantry's post, but it did imply some things that were incorrect.

That all being said, I'm ready to support the Monsoon, sanctioned or not.

14. PhoenixSoccer

PhoenixSoccer New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is great that you will support the Monsoon...you will be one of the few that will actually support a team that is not playing in a top level sanctioned league. The Sahuaros are a great example of that - they actually play in the NPSL and don't have a big following (as every other NPSL team across the country are experiencing with attendance figures in the low hundreds).

Very few people in Phoenix will brave the heat and pay to go see an "independent pro team" - whatever that means!

Plus don't get me started with the Monsoon Maniacs!!! $120 bucks a year be part of the fan club is laughable...who in their right mind will pay that - and on top of it they don't even get season tickets (especially if they aren't playing in at least Div 2).

Your profile states you are a Philly Union fan....the Sons Of Ben (who many can argue are one of the best supporters groups in the country) only charge $30 and you get a free shirt. That is pretty standard.

The Monsoon aren't the only game in town, there are other groups working to bring REAL Pro Soccer to Phoenix (as I have seen reported on a few other sites) - and by the look of how the Monsoon are starting out, I know I am looking forward learning more about what the others are doing.

15. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True. I guess if you earn money at it, that makes you a professional. But just because you get paid doesn't mean anyone will want to watch you.

FIFA is divided into confederations. Our confederation is CONCACAF. The USSF is a member of CONCACAF and sanctioned by FIFA.

USSF sanctions the following leagues:

Division 1 - MLS with and Eastern and Western conference
    Division 2 - temporarily sanctioned by the USSF itself with USL1 and NASL as conferences
    Division 3 - USL2
    Division 4 - USL's PDL and NPSL
    Division 5 - USASA

Any of these leagues could have paid players and thus be considered pros, but no significant following, television coverage, stadium attendance or revenue is going to be generated by anything under a division 2 team.

So, someone could start their own league, pay their players, and it would be pro. But who would care. The league would not be governed by FIFA/USSF and thus the players would be ineligible to advance through the USSF divisions.

Essentially all you would be doing is creating a league to play exhibition matches like the roller derby teams that travel from carnival to carnival.

Last I knew the Arizona Sahuraros (hate the name) were a division 4 team playing in the NPSL league.

16. robash

robash New Member

May 28, 2010

I pretty much agree with you on all points there gantry. I want a team I can connect with, a fan club I can connect with as well. Having a part in naming both would be something I think most fans would want.

I love Phoenix SC also, the American game is called soccer after all...

17. robash

robash New Member

May 28, 2010

I understand what monsoon soccer is trying to do, start a pro team with the hopes of finding a league to play in. I could definitely see a USL-2 Western conference/division in a year or two and I think it would have to be that for the team to succeed financially as far as travel expenses are concerned.

Sure there is another organization in the valley in MLS Phoenix Rising, but the chances of getting an MLS team in the next few years are slim to none. Not to mention it's been made clear that if you want an MLS franchise you better have a team in place already with the additions of Seattle, Vancouver, Portland and Montreal...that is something the valley does not have.

I guess I don't understand all the negativity directed towards monsoon soccer, apparently he has a plan in place and is acting on it...hopefully his money will be well spent.

18. PhoenixSoccer

PhoenixSoccer New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well one thin is that MLS Phoenix Soccer is not a group trying to bring MLS to Phoenix, they are a supporters group that is hoping to one day support a professional soccer franchise - They are hoping for MLS - but are looking for the highest level they could support. Check out their site at www.mlsphoenixrising.com - and actually you will see a new post about the other group in Phoenix looking to bring soccer to the Valley.

The problem that I have with the Monsoon is that they have nothing....they have no team to date, no league, no stadium and sorry, no plan!! They are hoping that the people will get behind a team that has no home and the hopes that one day they might make it to USL or NASL or even NPSL. They have done this to the Valley before when they promised pro soccer in the past and never performed.

I will support a group that comes to the table with a real deal, in a real league, with a real plan....

19. Noodles

Noodles Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to clarify MLS Phoenix Rising's position so there isn't any confusion... MLSPR has hosted three “meet & greet” events with principals of one of the groups that is attempting to bring professional soccer to the Valley. You can read about our most recent event on our website. We are in the process of scheduling a similar event with the principals of the Phoenix Monsoon so our members and other area soccer fans will have an opportunity to meet and interact with the people involved, including asking questions about the group’s plans. Because we are an independent supporters’ group, we refrain from endorsing or affiliating exclusively with any particular group or plan. We believe that if people take the opportunity to attend one of these informational events and learn about the various plans to bring soccer to the Valley they can make up their own minds about the viability, legitimacy, and feasibility of each plan.

20. robash

robash New Member

May 28, 2010

well the fact that the MLSPR website is active again getting the word out to these events should be a lot easier. Had I known about the last one I would of definitely been there, just like I look forward to the one with Monsoon.

21. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is no Phoenix Monsoon. There never will be a Phoenix Monsoon. There are certain steps that one takes when establishing a pro team and none of those steps have been taken. It is just a website. No stadium deal, no league, no players, nothing. What rubs me the wrong way is the grand announcements and statements which make it appear that this is a done deal and that the thirst for soccer has finally been satisfied when in reality it is a website and nothing more. A team establishing a supporters group, naming it, pricing it, and announcing perks like free parking, when a stadium deal is not even in place is honestly absurd. How do you know you can offer free parking when you don't even know where the lot will be or who will control it? And is it really free when the price to join is $120? The website is borderline illegal actually, using pictures of Phoenix Greyhound Park, saying that it is the home of the Phoenoix Monsoon...I wonder what the city would think of that. I don't say all of this out of spite. I want soccer here. But actions like these could be detrimental as far as how Phoenix is perceived by the leagues when a serious group does come knocking. The arrrogance of stating "sorry the supporters group has already been named" is shocking if nothing else. You need supporters first to have said group Stu.

22. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers

This sounds awesome, Stu. All I can promise you is I will be there. Of course, I might be playing with the National Team at that time, so I might not make it to all the games.

In the mean time, I plan to start playing soccer in a Sunday league. You might say I have the horse and the cart just not all hooked up. Currently (as honestly as I can be) I have shin guards, socks, and I have begun talking with my wife about buying some shoes. All I can promise you is that I will be playing soccer in 2011...I have even written to Bob Bradely letting him know of my plans! So please keep an eye on me, too. I am going to start a web site to let you how far I progress.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh, no.

He could be talking about a Western Conference (or, more specifically, a western conference) of whatever second division league wins out for 2011.

You couldn't be independent of USSF. USSF is the sanctioning body in this country. If you want to be a rogue outfit and have your players be outlaws, I suppose you could.

What I'm guessing is meant is, in a generic sense, the long-rumored and awaited collection of western-based clubs in a second-division league (be that USL or NASL or USSFD2 or whatever happens in 2011). To be "on an island" out in Phoenix makes no sense economically. If there are other clubs based in this part of the country (be they existing lower-level clubs or to-be-finalized expansion clubs), then it makes sense for those clubs to band together in whatever league makes the most sense, thereby creating a "Western Conference" (which could take on any name, I guess).

I wish these folks luck. I'm not in love with the name Monsoon, but, let's be honest here, we're running out of names in this country, and FC this or That FC are freaking lazy and lame and Europosing.

Keep us posted.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A totally wasted opportunity to use perhaps the single largest cliche extant with regards to this area.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? That's your issue?

God help us all.