Phoenix FC vs. LA time change

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Killersheep, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if everyone knows, the game has been pulled earlier to 6:00 PM. It was originally scheduled for 7:30 PM. The reason given was a scheduling conflict.

We will now be meeting at Devil's advocate at 3:00 PM.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA has to start driving to Orlando right after the game and they want to get an early start.

3. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I had to rearrange my day and will have to spend the first half with the sun in my eyes because LA wants to leave an hour and half on a 2 or 3 day drive? What a joke!

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kidding, Matt.

I don't think LA is bussing to Orlando. :)

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I feel sheepish. Although I did wonder why they'd drive across the country. I figured you had some inside information.

Regardless of the reason (officially a 'scheduling conflict'), moving the kickoff time is disappointing. I can't see the difference moving it forward an hour and half makes. It might make sense if the game was at 2 and it got pushed it back to 6, but what is going on at ASU after 8:30 or 9pm on a Sunday that would conflict?

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the slightest idea. It's really vague.

Maybe support personnel have to be utilized elsewhere that night or something. I can't figure out what it would be.

7. ethan160222

ethan160222 New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Phoenix
    This schedule debacle is odd. The USL schedule has always indicated 6:00; PFC's printed schedule and tickets showed 7:30. Currently it looks to be the same problem for the next home match on the 28th.

8. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even 2000 people at the game. That has to be disappointing for the club. I figured there would be a big drop off after the home opener, but not as much game 2 to game 3. I wonder if the early start had anything to do with.

The play on the field was disappointing at times too. There is just no depth in the squad. I feel bad for Parkinson. He didn't play well, but the supporters were chanting 'We want Weber'. That's got to help the guy's confidence. Eliot Weber shouldn't be playing forward either, but I guess there aren't many options off the bench with Mackie's injury. Peabo Doue has been targeted by opposing teams the past 2 games with great success. Robertson admitted his mistake by subbing him off after 15-20 mins. I doubt we see him starting at left back again.

9. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "We want Weber" slipped out of the group, shouldn't have happened. We tried "We've got Parkinson", but that also didn't sound right. Temperatures are rising and advertising has been non-existent since the little slew of news interviews around the first game (and of course Odeen's blog) I still don't know why they don't have ANY signage on University near the stadium. Such a high traffic area.

10. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't argue with the lack of advertising, but its not that hot yet, at least by Arizona standards.

I've been noticing that some fans have no idea about the rules of the game. They boo what are clear offisides calls and get frustrated with players for not making extraordinary plays (i.e. Obodai's shot from 20-25 yards out after a corner). They don't seem to understand that some plays are difficult even for professional soccer players. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, these are the kind of people who are going to go to one game, decide the teams sucks, and never look back.

On a related note, fans were really getting on Diego and he seemed annoyed by it. He shot a glare toward my section after hearing it from us when he failed to pass to a wide open Morrison on the flank. He didn't have to speak English to know people weren't happy with him.

11. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that hot yet, but it's pretty clear the weather is turning, we could be in the 100s by the next home game. This is the time people go into summer hiberntion (as in stop leaving the house). I agree that a lot of people don't understand the game, this is an expansion team though so a learning experience can be expected from the FO all the way down to the fans.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I hope it's not over 100 by the Wilmington game. I can't handle hundreds in April, man.

EDIT: Some facts about 100 degree days here (not for those of us who live here so much as anyone else who might wander in).

Average first 100 degree day, historically, is May 13.

Now, I don't know about y'all, but unless there's direct sunlight on me, I don't mind 100 even. Feels very warm and dry, and while I don't particularly want to run around the block five times, it's not the end of the world, 100 degrees. But above about 105...it becomes problematic.

13. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oy.

Got 99 problems, but the thermometer ain't 100. Yet.

15. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With lines like that, I'm disappointed I didn't get to take your class when I was at ASU, Kenn.

The heat is not an issue with me; I play soccer in the evenings during the summer, but I used to hear people complain about it being too hot to go A/C'd D'backs games. I'm worried come June me and the older couple with seats a few rows behind me will be the only ones on the east side, especially if they keep losing at home.

16. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington is a must win in my opinion. Matt117 How are your seats working out?

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wag, wag.

18. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morale would go down the toilet losing to Wilmington, especially if the Salt Lake game doesn't go well.

I really like my seats. Near midfield, second row, aisle, not too far away (or too close) to the supporters. I knew what I was getting into looking into the sun, but it worked out okay Sunday and shouldn't be too much worse than that if the rest of the games actually start at 7:30.

19. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday night games are not good for attendance for multiple reasons. Most MLS teams get worked at the gates on Sundays. That said if you have to play on Sunday I think the 6pm start is good. Bringing the kids home after a 7:30 start on a school night wasnt good. I think Saturday night is the sweet spot but it is what it is.Regardless of attendance it has been fun. Its a work in progress.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOTE: Not actually true.

21. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday nights are better, but changing start times/scheduling games to cater to fans with kids is a good way too alienate other fans.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably a sweet spot (kickoff time wise) that appeals to most people, but you're not likely to find a time that's convenient for one set of people that's not inconvenient for another set of people. That's just nature of the beast and how people's lives work.

We don't know why the LA game time was switched on short notice. We don't know if any other matches will have their game times switched, or if they are, if it was done to appease one group or another.

In a perfect world, I think everybody would like to have Saturday evening games all the time. I don't know the terms of their lease or other circumstances that might preclude that. The USL schedule isn't made in a vacuum, though. The teams have a lot of input.

But they have just three more Saturday nights scheduled (June 15, July 6 and August 10), and I don't know if those dates can overcome the weather challenges or not. We'll see.

I do know that dates are a huge influencer on ticket sales, and game times have some influence as well. Team form and opponent, less so. But you make it harder on yourself when you don't actually have staff engaged in the active day-to-day selling of tickets and you rely on just those who are really, actively interested in attending.

And just to close the loop on the MLS on Sundays thing, here are the 2011-2012 combined numbers for each MLS team that has played at home on a Sunday (Real Salt Lake is the only team that hasn't, and won't, for obvious reasons):

Team....................G.....Total....Average
    Seattle Sounders........4....202,327...50,582
    Los Angeles Galaxy......6....142,010...23,668
    New York Red Bulls......5....101,033...20,207
    Vancouver Whitecaps.....6....118,629...19,772
    Portland Timbers........7....135,822...19,403
    Houston Dynamo..........6....111,154...18,526
    Philadelphia Union......6....110,336...18,389
    Sporting Kansas City....4.....68,978...17,245
    Chicago Fire............8....128,336...16,042
    Montreal Impact.........1.....15,118...15,118
    Chivas USA..............5.....74,580...14,916
    Colorado Rapids.........5.....72,459...14,492
    FC Dallas...............8....114,114...14,264
    Columbus Crew...........5.....69,073...13,815
    New England Revolution..3.....40,644...13,548
    DC United...............3.....37,344...12,448
    San Jose Earthquakes....3.....30,888...10,296
    MLS TOTAL..............85..1,572,845...18,504

Prior to 5:00 PM Local...35...646,589..18,474
    5:00 PM Local and Later..50...926,256..18,525

The median was 18,193.

Most USL Pro Sunday games last year (1,771 average) had bad crowds, but 10 of the 13 were at Antigua, Charlotte, Dayton and Los Angeles, who couldn't sell tickets any day of the week, really.