Phoenix FC v. Wilmington, Sun. April 28th, 7:30pm, P/I/P

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Matt117, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see this one has the 7:30 start time. I won't have to worry about the sun much.

It will be interesting to see what the back four looks like with Renan out. I wonder if Devon will move inside. If that happens, then who is going to play right back?

Weber's out, so I hope to hear some 'We got Sheldon' chants or maybe something more creative.

I also heard that there are now 3 supporters groups. I guess I'll find out on Sunday.

2. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a Jamaican flag for Sheldon. We will definitely be cheering him on and encouraging him.

As far as supporters groups go.

There's us, La Furia Roja 1881 , The Wolf Pack (a small group from the east valley, I think they're all friends and have been since before this), and Fuerza Lobos (who are actually a group of Club America fans])

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you said that. Thought it was 6 again for some reason.

4. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Devon was injured... If that's not the case and he moves inside, Netinho can play right back again like the last two games.

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear all around.

Odeen Domingo tweeted a half dozen injury updates yesterday. To summarize, Mackie didn't practice and doubtful/questionable; Devon practiced and is probable; Doue same as Devon; King didn't practice, but says he'll be ready; and Netinho didn't practice and is doubtful.

I'd guess Devon and Hedrick in the middle, and Donny on the left. No idea about the right unless Doue gets another shot at fullback.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really feel for this guy and hope this doesn't turn into a situation where he only plays 29 minutes (or whatever it was) and, for one reason or another, ends up leaving. I saw him play in that one friendly at Reach 11 and was impressed by how he ran his ass off. He seems to be the type of player a lot of folks could embrace.

7. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We (La Furia Roja 1881) are going to try a call and repeat at the beginning of each half.
    We will say "Phoenix" clap clap and hopefully those of you around the rest of the stadium call back with "FC" clap clap clap.

I really think this would help the boys feel encouraged to have the support all the way around them. Please join in on this.

8. El Sapito

El Sapito New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Arizona
    I can confirm this because I was actually at the Thursday practice. Ended up chatting with Mackie for a good half hour about this and that. His most recent MRI came back negative but he's still day to day.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, it turned into a gorgeous evening. I expected better from Wilmington, but Phoenix played well. Good game, fun to watch.

10. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night was really fun, too bad there weren't more people to enjoy it. I thought i heard them say 1,458.

The people in my section seemed to respond well to the LFR guy who came over to lead chants. There weren't many of us, but we tried. The lady behind me didn't get that the Phoenix FC chant was a call and response; she was chanting both parts. 'I believe that we will win' went over better and is fun to do. Hopefully, we didn't wake anyone chanting it while we rode our bikes home. Last night kinda made me want to sit in the supporters section, but I did have more to drink than usual. It would also make it more difficult for me to mercilessly taunt opposing players.

As far as the play on the field goes, Netinho is not only a good player; its also great that he really appreciates the fans and is passionate. Not sure he is the answer at right back though. I liked Devon in the middle, but he'll probably get bumped outside when Renan comes back. Donny continues to impress, but its clear he isn't a natural left back. Gotta love his tenacity though. I love how hard Bowen plays. I thought King would be knocking in goals left and right, but he doesn't have one this season. I think this team needs Mackie. Morrison has been fantastic and has even better hair. Not sure I have a favorite player yet, but he is up there. My girlfriend said she could die happy having slapped his hand after the game.

Are practices open to the public?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the guy said 1,427 and that's what's in the box score.

They'll have Friday night this week, a 50/50 shot of hosting Tucson on the 14th in the USOC, and if they win, they could host another Open Cup match on the 21st. Then they're at home on the Thursday night right before Memorial Day weekend, which could be grim. They'd have to win on the 14th and 21st to have a chance of potentially hosting an MLS team on the 28th.

12. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way my head felt this morning, I'm amazed i was only 31 off. I wonder if the Friday games will draw more than the Sunday games.

13. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're going to try do the Phoenix .. FC ... at the beginning of every half for a while, can you help people in your section understand? I have a vision of the players getting encouragement from all around them.