Phoenix FC v. Charlotte Eagles, Thursday May 23rd, 7:30pm, P/I/P

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Matt117, May 21, 2013.

1. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a good feeling about this one, but we should supposedly see a player we haven't seen much of at all. I'd mention his name, but don't want to jinx it.

The crowd should be large as they are giving away tickets to vets, but I wonder if some people won't already be on their way out of town for the Memorial Day weekend.

Any word on Devon? Or other injuries?

2. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, Bowen has picked up a slight knock, everyone else is good to go. Devon played a full 90 in a scrimmage on Sunday and is expected to go 90 Thursday. Mackie is also supposed to play, the guess is for one half. The guys looked good against Sereno, sharp passing and for the most part good organization. There was also a moment of our own guys yelling at each other (nothing new). It really should be up to Robertson to establish a clear chain of command, that would go a long way.

Matt117 repped this.
  3. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There does seem to be a lot of arguing within the team on the field. This is why I wonder if Morrison is a better choice as captain than Weber. Not that Weber isn't a great captain, but its hard to communicate with the midfield from the goal box. I wonder if the language barrier plays a role as the Brazilians often seem to be involved. Then again when someone is screaming for the ball, you generally don't have to speak their language to know what they want you to do.

4. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are a lot of different styles of play out on the field, some are quick and direct, some are slower are artful....once they get everything together it will work out, but that's my guess as to where a lot of the frustration is from. Well that and results. Wins make everyone happier and easier to get along with.

5. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the first leg of the Liga MX final between Cruz Azul and Club America is at the same time. I'm sure some will stay home to watch that game.

Killersheep repped this.
  6. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be interesting to see if Fuerza Lobos shows up, they are Club America fans.

7. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight! I am ready for this. Let's go wolves!

8. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the last 3 matches, there is no where to go, but up. Hopefully, there will be a nice crowd to inspire the team. Can't believe it is not even noon yet; still over 8 hours till kickoff.

9. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pregame starts at 4:30, so there is that to look forward to.

10. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might start a little before that. Hopefully, Mackie can provide a spark. I need something to keep me excited all summer.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing: Charlotte played Tuesday night in the Open Cup, came here, it's going to be hotter than they're used to (a different heat anyway) and they still have to go to LA this weekend and go back for the Open Cup again on Tuesday. PFC may be catching them at a good time, a tired team having traveled, in a very different environment, when the Wolves are rested.

The crowd will be interesting to see. Thursday night before the holiday weekend, high school graduations going on, temps up.

12. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep our guys should be well rested, had good training, I don't expect this to best the best attendance, but here we should see the results on the field.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. 2-2 final. They came back from 1-0 and 2-0 down.

Charlotte is still unbeaten.

14. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating result considering that Charlotte's 2nd goal was the result of not getting organized quick enough. It was also scored by my least favorite (since last night) soccer player ever.

What happened in my section was surreal. The team handled it really well, but if security actually did their job, it never would have got to that point in the first place.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened?

16. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 for Charlotte's extended family (at least 20 people) showed up with a drum, sat in (expensive) seats that weren't theirs while their kids stood in front of the railing (blocking my and others' views), they repeatedly chanted obscenities in Spanish, let their kids randomly beat on the drum, and were generally obnoxious. I have no problem sitting with rival fans, but they were just being crude jerks; some LFR guys came by and started singing pro-Phoenix songs and they just chanted '********' back.

I was going to talk to security about the drum and kids blocking my view at halftime, but my girlfriend beat me to it. So some kid working security that is in way over his head confronts the leader. The kid checks his tickets and tells him he is the wrong spot and points him to some seats in the back. The leader says that no one is sitting there, so why does it matter. So another security guard comes over. The leader still refuses to move. A few more security guards try to convince the guy to move, but have no luck. Eventually, a Phoenix FC employee shows up and tells him drums are only allowed in the supporters section and he needs to move. At this point, the players are lined up on the field ready to start the second half. Leader still refuses. So one of the ushers (?) and the Phoenix FC guy moved us to some seats that were reserved for the media. Being classless jerks, #12's fan club talked shit to us as we left.

The Phoenix FC employee (didn't catch his name, but he clearly had a lot of pull) apologized to us and told us they'd never had to deal with something like this before. What I still don't understand is how worthless security was. They repeatedly apologized to the leader. Why apologize to someone who is breaking multiple rules and ruining the game experience for people who might actually come back and watch another game? I know you don't want to kick people out (and they didn't have enough security to actually do it), but I think if someone is refusing to cooperate with security, they should get the boot.

17. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checked the attendance, 1903. Not bad considering the holiday weekend, but not good either. I know the club wants to sell out every game, but I wonder of there is a number that actually makes it worthwhile.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hint: it is higher than 1,903. Especially with basically no sponsorship dollars.