Phoenix FC General Info and News page

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Killersheep, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than "City."

2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's Phoenix FC and their nickname is the Wolves? Or is it Wolves FC and they play in Phoenix?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Phoenix FC (enough said about FCs, oy). Their nickname is the Wolves.

4. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with it. Better than some dorkus name like Burn or "Hoops"...

Macsen repped this.
  5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First try-outs are on Friday, anyone going?

7. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time?

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few members of LFR will be heading up there around 6 to practice making noise. We have at least one guy from LFR that's trying out for the team.

10. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did tryouts go?

11. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They ran 2 - 45 minute halves and 1 - 30 minute half (at least that's what it seemed like)
    There were three guys out there that really stood out to me a GK, a RB and a striker. The level of the trialists was pretty good. This tryout was mainly for local guys (although there were a few from California and one from Japan via Chicago). The next tryout will involve more people from all over the country.

12. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd round of tryouts. Tomorrow 10/26/12 @ scottsdale sports complex

Here's a map: http://bitly.com/VInXN5

I believe it's running from 5-7. A few of us will be up there.
    Free and open to the public.

14. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not getting excited about any players until they announce/figure out where the team will play.

I wonder how good the Campeonato Mineiro (a regional league from my understanding) is.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil has a weird structure. They have a national system and a state league system. Everyone participates in state leagues (Jan-May), only the better teams play in the national system (May-Dec).

The national system has three more or less regular leagues -- Serie A, Serie B, and Serie C. Serie D is a different. In any given year, it includes the teams relegated from Serie C as well as the best finishers from the state leagues who aren't already in the national system. Campeonato Carioca (Rio de Janeiro state) and Campeonato Paulista (Sao Paulo state) have lots of teams in the national system and often send teams that finish 6th or 7th because the higher-placed teams are already in. More provincial areas may have zero teams in the national system, so only the state champion qualifies for Serie D.

The Belo Horizonte clubs play in Campeonato Mineiro, so it's not obscure. Atletico Mineiro and Cruzeiro play in Serie A, America Mineiro and Ipatinga play in Serie B. Tupi won Serie D in 2011 and are now in Serie C. Nacional and Guarani are in Serie D in 2012. Weirdly, Ipatinga is actually in the Mineiro second division after relegation in 2011....even though they are also still in the national Serie B.

America-TO (Faria's club) seems to have risen up the ranks pretty recently. Per Wiki, they were in the Mineiro third division for a while before being promoted twice in a row in 2008 and 2009. America-TO qualified for the 2011 Serie D but withdrew for whatever reason.

Faria made 9 starts and one sub appearance for the club in 2012 (the state league is only 11 games, so that's essentially a regular in the lineup).

17. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the great post. I had always wondered about why big Brazilian clubs played in regional competitions. I don't understand how a club can play 11 games all year. What do they do the rest of the year? Get real jobs?

Anyways, good to hear that Faria was a starter on a rising team.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of states also run a cup competition alongside the league, but yeah, it's a short season. I don't know the clubs do after the state leagues are over, but your guess is probably correct. Even the biggest and wealthiest soccer countries don't have much more than four leagues' worth of professional clubs.

19. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great informative post thanks, I was looking through the Serie A configuration throughout the years, they really have tried everything lol.

20. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me see if I understand this correctly

The state championships are played at the beginning of the year. Each state determines it's own system (group stage with knockout, balanced schedule etc.) Each state is given a certain amount of berths, given to the highest qualifying team(s) not already qualified for Series A-D.

Each state is allocated a certain number of berths into Serie D chosen by state championships to total 36 teams, an additional 4 teams are added via relegation from the previous season's Serie C. Serie D is played as a group stage then a knockout round, all four semi-finalists in the knockout round are promoted to Serie C, the remaining 36 teams are essentially relegated and need to qualify through state championships again.

In Serie C, the format is the same except, there are a total of 20 teams, 4 promoted from Serie D, 4 relegated from Serie B and 12 teams from the previous season that were neither promoted nor relegated. All four semi-finalists from the knockout stage are promoted to Serie B, while the last place team from each group is relegated to Serie D.

In Serie B, the format is a balanced schedule, 20 teams comprised of 4 promoted teams from Serie C, 4 relegated teams from Serie A as well as 12 teams that were neither promoted nor relegated from the previous season. The top four points teams on the table are promoted to Serie A and the bottom four points teams are relegated to Serie C.

In Serie A, the format is a balanced schedule, 20 teams comprised of 4 promoted teams from Serie B and 16 teams that were not relegated from the previous season. 14 teams in Serie A qualify for CONMEBOL tournaments Copa Sudamericana and Cope Libertadores, the bottom four points teams on the table are relegated to Serie B

Seems simple enough lol.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just the way The Rest Of The World does it.

22. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium announcement is coming 11/28 at 2pm. Word may trickle out before then but that's the official press conference announcement date and time.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping a secret for two weeks? I'll be interested to see if they can pull that off. Unless, of course, they don't know and they're giving themselves until the day before. :)

24. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a done deal. A few of us know already. I'm keeping quiet because I've been asked to do so. Might slip elsewhere, though.

25. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, come on... at least tell us the name of the city.