Philly unlikely to get USMNT games due to the narrowness of the Field " U.S Official"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Kqql, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/6872032.htm

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I really find it ridiculous that they went through all the trouble and spent all that money to build a brand new stadium and they didn't make it wide enough for international soccer.

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Unlike Kraft, who made sure that Gillette Stadium was 75 yards/69 meters wide, I don't think Philly owners give a damn on Soccer Requirements needed for International games. ( men soccer not women soccer)

Nothing against women soccer teams, but they are more flexiable and are willing to play on non-confirming field types and turfs.

4. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Soldier Field v The Narrow Lincoln Field
    (Who designed the stupid end zone corners at Philly?)

[​IMG]
    VS
    [​IMG]

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so this should put to rest the Philly expension fantasy

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    LOL, the sad part is PA tax payers are footing some of the $$ for the stadium , but got cheated out of national team games.

Philly owners really don't want MLS, and the design of the stadium proves it.

7. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    At the risk of wandering offtopic, Soldier Field looks beautiful!

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes, it looks good. I just wish it had some kind of roof/half a roof.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Well... given the opposition to RFK hosting WCQs, the same problems will hold true for Philly, which after all, is only 2 1/2 hours away.

Sachin

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Solider Field Mach II last night, I doubt that pitch would be more than 68 yards wide, either.

Most of these new NFL stadiums still insist on having an oval surface area. Why, I don't know...

11. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people who built the stadium probably don't care if they play USMNT games there. The stadium was built for the Philadelphia Eagles, not for soccer.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I could be very wrong, but I seem to recall reading on the Fire board about some retractable seating that can be pulled back to make the field wider. Whether this can be used once NFL season starts (or even if it exists at all) I don't know.

The oval style increases seating capacity and gives better sightlines for NFL games.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I hate the idea of sharing NFL stadiums with soccer, it's just fine with me. All the more likely there may be a SSS in Philly someday.

14. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured that, it just that that conflicts with the oft-heard refrain of having international soccer matches at these stadiums.

15. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Likely, as in a 2 out of 10,000,000,000 chance instead of 1 out of 10,000,000,000, so yes, the chances have doubled.

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Soldier field will have a 110x72 yards soccer field.

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    BINGO! you said it, this was done to refrain International soccer games. ( MEN national teams are picker then Female and Clubs)

The owners of Philly knew exactly what they were up to.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they must have the retractable seats in the corners because I could swear after watching the Packers-Bears game last night that that field wouldn't be more than 65 yards where the soccer end line would be.

19. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd. Why would they want to preclude the men playing there, when in all likelihood, if they wanted to do it (say, spring or summer when the Eagles aren't using the field), they'd make good money on it?

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Most Football owners don't like soccer.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    New Chicago soldier field will 110x72 yards, and can be increased to 114 x 76 yards, because the corner seats can be removed at soldier field. when the bears go back to the cave to rest for the season.

22. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Perhaps this means that all USMNT home matches will be in two venues: Crew Stadium and Gillette Stadium. If Seattle wants to lay down the natural surface then that would make it three. If the USSF thinks that Chicago could host without attracting too many "away" fans, that would make it four. But no Miami, no Houston, no RFK, no L.A., no Meadowlands and (it seems) no Philly.

23. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Here is my take on venues for USMNT WCQ.

Soldier Field, Crew Stadium, Gillette and RFK will always get USMNT games.

Forget about Miami, USMNT will be a away team in Miami.

Seattle did put grass for USMNT back in March, so if they do that again, I am sure USNMT will show up there .( Although attendance sucked for it)

L.A, if USMNT is not playing Mexico , then it could be a pro-USA crowd and the weather/stadium/field size is a huge PLUS for L.A. (PLUS it's the Official
    training ground of the USMNT)

Philly will have to find a way to get 2-3 yards(Width) from somewhere, without breaking the corner seats or reducing the length.

Houston, nice stadium and meets fifa field standards, but then again it's not a well tested soccer venue.

Don't forget Denver and KC.
    Although lots of teams might not want to play in Denver.(high altitude)

24. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    RFK will not get qualifiers ever again for national team matches. After the Honduran debacle, I don't think USSF will think twice about having matches there. Also, the economic incentives are not as great to play games at RFK. Even though the stadium seats $50,000, the rent is quite expensive. HDC, Crew Stadium and the new stadium in Dallas are much better options for the national team. As more SSS come online, I can almost guarantee that DC will be left out of the cold for qualifiers.

25. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Follow the Money

The geniuses at USSF care only about cash, so I think we will see a game in Philly. They might delude themselves into thinking the Eurosnobs who showed up for Man U will support the US, but in actuality, they will be squeezing in more Hondurans/Guatemalans/Salvadorans/or Jamaicans than RFK can hold.

If they have any sense at all, and there is no scientific proof they do, Philly could host Canada or Trinidad without it being an away game for the US. Of course, the crowd would only be 15K, so I'm thinking they will put Jamaica or a Central American team there.

Columbus: Mexico
    Gillette: Costa Rica
    Casa Depot: Canada
    Philly: Honduras (San Pedro Sula Norte)
    Chicago: Jamaica or Trinidad (North Kingston)
    KC: Guatemala or El Salvador