Philly-SJ Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by TishaVench15, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    It was against NY, that's why she was subbed out.

I doubt we see her in WUSA.

France-Denmark is more important.

My Charge line-up still is 4-5-1 with

Clemens replacing Pichon.

Mids are Tullock Fair Zhao Monroe and Liu

Mitts Tietjen Iverson Benson and Moore

Liu has been used as a sub all year, so the question is, has she been simply saved, or can she only go 45 max.

If Liu can't start, then Conners starts.

The strength of the Charge all year has been defending, not just in the defensive third, but pressuring teams in midfield so they can't run what they want to run.

None of this changes losing Smith and Pichon.

2. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Also note Zhao is being rested against San Jose, so another top player is out.

Zhao is captain for China and the best pure winger in WUSA.

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info Adam--always enjoyed your stuff (and I think sebe as well) from the Charge boards... too bad we lost out stars in the purge, oh well...

Heather mentioned it herself on her personal website she wasn't travelling with the team. Pinchon was an iffy--she either was going to play or not. Who would you pick in her place?

Despite them missing key players--I'm not going to count them out because the Charge are going to come out fighting as much as the Rays needs this game if they want the priviledge to play 2 extra games. No matter what, each team wants to show they they are a legitimate championship team.

Nap

4. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Ailing was a star for the Charge last year but got bumped down a few notches with the drafting of Tullock and Monroe. She's still very talented but her age is catching up with her a bit and her best fit with the Charge is to be subbed in at half. However, with their injuries, don't be suprised to see her in the line-up.

To all about Lindsey's play-this is just stuff that I've gotten from some fans I e-mail with. Their own opinions and thoughts.

Seeing as how we really need to get 3 points tomorrow, it's great to hear that Pinchon and Mitts won't be playing. True, we have yet to face the Charge playing with all of their big guns and we might not get to this season, but at this point, we just need points. Period.

5. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Philadelphia will most likely put Clemens and Martin up top but Koleski could slide into Martin's place. Or they might go with 1 forward, they've had some success with that before.
    I would pick Martin. She has more experience with this team than Koleski(who got picked up by the Charge a few weeks ago). She has gotten onto the stat sheet since her 2 goal game 5/11 againist the Freedom, but she's talented and has more playing experience with Clemens than Koleski(obviously).

6. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
  7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    But to lose 2/5ths of your starting lineup, 1/5th of which would have vied for the MVP of the whole league...all you have out are Hendershot-Brown and Clark. Lindsey and Borgman are probable, according to Yahoo! Sports. Advantage San Jose by a lot more than anyone on here or my board is willing to concede. And to sit Zhao for such an important game is mind-boggling.

Paul

8. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On paper, the Rays need the points much more than the Charge, though they want to show they are heirs to the Cup. Having them ailing at this time isn't good, but since they have a spot sealed it looks like, all they are going to try to play is for rank--they in all probability have the chance to host a home game, and no one wants to play at Villanova in the summer heat, and in a surface that will feel very strange to them.

9. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Thank you for finally saying that. She just sets off my gag factor, plain and simple. Every time they show her she looks like she's wincing or like she's about to complain like a precious little princess.
    Spoiled and ICK-y, ugh.

10. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Something to razz at her when the Charge plays on the road:

sing J Geils Band "Centerfold"! nah nah nah...

c-e-n-t-e-r-f-o-l-d

(and the clean police here can't ban us for saying that. If it's not a 4 letter word, it can be mentioned.)

Cheers!

11. specialk

specialk New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Birdsboro ,Pa.
    Sorry C - Ray fans I know you need the points but Philly will win Wed. !

12. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

I think we have a winner!

Seriously, I'm glad others are noticing this. If only Brandi would.

I agree 100%.

I personally think Frenchie has one of the prettiest services out of the back in the whole game (not that I'm any expert). Her accuracy and timing on those balls is just awesome...right on a forward's head or dropping right at her feet (makes me go "ooooooh...aaaah" ). Part of what irritates me about having her on the bench is that we aren't getting to utilize her service as an offensive option when our midfield gets clogged up by the opposing team! Di and Brandi don't have the same accuracy, and Borgman's got the accuracy but not the consistency. We need all the offensive options we can get at this point, because we haven't been converting, and we're running out of time to figure it out. Frenchie's got mad long ball skillz, let's use them!!!

OK....something funny in my Gatorade I think! I just actually typed "skillz"??? :eek:

Chiefs did highlight one of Frenchie's weaknesses, though: she's not as fast as many of our other defenders. No doubt Thori would trounce Frenchie in a straight-up footrace (and Borgman and Di probably would as well. Um...and maybe Brandi and Boof... Hey, I KNOW Frenchie can beat Lisa! OK, honestly I have no clue--I'm completely guessing from what I can see in the games). All right, she's not Marion Jones, but Frenchie compensates for a LOT of her lack of speed by just plain being smart out there in terms of her positioning and the angles she runs to track down a forward. Still, at times she's going to get beaten (just like everyone else). Uhhhh...that's why we have Boof back there covering everyone's butt...right? :D Seriously, I think speed in a defender can be important, but it isn't everything, or even most of what's really essential at that position.

It's easy to look brilliant against New York (poor New York). Even San Diego has managed to.

As far as players who weren't on the field who should have been, ditto my previous French rants. I didn't even get started about Di, though that one's a little easier for me to see. It still doens't mean I'm HAPPY about it, however.

13. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The Charge are resting key players, so it's San Jose's score to name.

14. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The Charge will NOT have:

Mitts Iverson Pichon and Zhao

2 reserve players Hall and Alfiler will replace them, although Alfiler played well man marking Birgit Prinz and one match replacing Mitts.

Hall has played a little and is a step slow.

Big question is whethewr Fair and Moore start.

If NOT, then they are being rested too.

Charge will go 4-5-1, with Stacey Tullock being the key. She plays holding mid similar to Claudio Reyna and will be the key for the Charge.

And M F Monroe job will be to disrupt Sissi as much as possible.

Clemens could be the lone forward, and ultimately the question will be how much support she gets from the midfielders.

I would expect San Jose to work on Hall as much as possible, isolate Katia on her. If Katia has her way, then San Jose wins.

15. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Awesome pre-match thread. This is great!!

Hearing about all the resting of players reminds me of the last regular season match last year when we rested key players and the Beat beat us 4-0. I hope we are on the receiving end of something like that come 3 hours. :)

SomebodyOrOther, you nailed French's services. Her timing and position of those bad-boys is awesome and let's hope that she gets to demonstrate her skills tonight.

It's sad to hear about Clark. Hopefully she can take this off-season to do some PT and get the strength back in her ankle. Rita, if you talk to her after the game, let her know that we're all pulling for her and hoping she comes back quickly!

16. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Little bit about the Gator, Hall. I really believe that she has the potential to become a great pro. I was able to watch her at UF and though college ball is obviously very different from pro, she has the skills to become a star. She's physical and has speed(though it's not as valuable to her in the WUSA as it was in college) and it's great that she has a chance to play againist our team. However, she is a rookie and still has a lot to learn so I wouldn't be surprised if she has a somewhat shaky match.

Alfiler seemed to be pretty good in the time I've seen her play. Like Adam said, she marked Prinz very well two weeks ago. Wouldn't be surprised to her marking Katia tonight.

17. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Thanks for the scoop on the two reserves! They'll both have a lot to prove, and I bet they'll come out trying to play their very best.

Philly is formidable no matter who is in the lineup!

I'm a bit surprised they're resting players before they clinch a playoff berth, but I guess they figure they have a few more games to do it. I hope it comes back to bite them! :D

I shouldn't be nervous about this game, but I am! I know we can win!!!!

OK, I'm off to the game and to get my "SomebodyOrOther" CyberRays jersey. ;)

18. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Very true! Definitely one of their strengths. Few teams can get away with playing only 1 forward up top and still getting some serious offense and they sure did.
    Good luck on that jersey! Let us know how it turns out.

I'd like to just echo some of the words about Tullock. She was worth the wait(speaking of her finishing her degree at ASU, then going to Philly). She's got linking skills and seems to run around much more than most midfielders want to. Definitely a lot of potential in her and let's hope Ian recognizes that and gets the 'Rays to keep an eye on her. She can be a stand-out at times(pretty good for a rookie).

Kick-off in an hour! Glad to know I'm not the only nervous one. :)

19. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Don't be surprised if the backline is Benson Tietjen Fair and Alfiler.

Charge could play 4-5-1 then, with Tullock and McDowell and Monroe as a triangle oi the middlle, with Conners and Clemens playing wide.

This might make MArtin the lone forward, or Martin switches with Clemens.

As to Hall, she hasn't played much at all, and having a player like Katia isn't the type player you'd want her to face.

Problem with Hall is footspeed, she's just a step too slow.

She might be a better d-mid.

Alfiler has really good quickness and ball skills.

20. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    I talked to her before and after the game.. :) If you're interested.. I'm putting together a card and stuff with get well wishes for her.. you can email me anything @ Soccerfren@aol.com I think it would help her to know how many people really are supporting her.. Get Well SOON Kimmie!! :)

21. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Great idea! Thank you and I'll be sending a message to you soon. You might want to post this in the KC injury thread or somethin, more people might see it there, too.

22. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    i'm in the process of making her a "get well soon" web page right NOW.. once it's done i'll post it in that thread.. hehe.. it won't be too great but i wanted to make one so it's easier for people 2 wish her a speedy recovery