Philippines Football Thread II[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    India likely to play Philippines in an Unofficial Friendly before World Cup Qualifiers

By SHREYASH INGALE

The Indian national football team arrived in Doha a few days ago to play their remaining World Cup qualifiers against Qatar, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Igor Stimac has already announced his squad as crucial players like Brandon Fernandes, Sunil Chhetri and Sahal Abdul Samad have made their comeback. After stunning performances in the AFC Champions League, Glan martins got his first call-up, but unfortunately, his teammate Seriton Fernandes misses out due to Covid. Now the star-studded Indian team is likely to face the Philippines in an unofficial friendly to prepare for the crucial games ahead.

“The AIFF is in talks for a training match with the Philippines in Doha ahead of India’s first match against Qatar on June 3. If it happens, it will be a closed-door match with no spectator or TV allowed as both teams are inside a very secured bio bubble. It is also not a FIFA day,” a source close to the development informed IFTWC.

https://iftwc.com/india-likely-play-philippines/

mike4066 repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It would be a good test for both teams

mike4066 repped this.
  3. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
  4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I wonder if Baldisimo will end up being a star for you guys

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #755 Pelefan, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    THE Philippine Azkals will no longer play a practice match against India in Doha as part of their build-up for the joint qualification for the 2022 Fifa World Cup and the 2023 AFC Asian Cup.

Goal.com reported the game didn’t got the clearance from Qatar’s health ministry. India is also in Doha as it will play its own qualification matches in Qatar.

The Azkals are gearing up for the three remaining matches of the second round of the qualification where they will play Guam on June 3 and Maldives on June 9 to be played in a centralized venue in Suzhou, China.

The Philippines will now face China on a later date after it was moved to June 15.

But the Azkals also suffered a setback during the build-up as Gerrit Holtmann has officially been ruled out of participating with the national squad in the qualifiers.

Holtmann’s club VFL-Bochum announced on its social media account that the Fil-German has not completed the required documents for him to be eligible for the Azkals to play in the joint qualifiers.

The Azkals, though, remained optimistic as they continue their training camp.

“The coaching staff has already been implementing their philosophy and you can see that the players are out to prove themselves on the field. I’m looking forward to see them grow in the next few days,” said Azkals skipper Stephan Schrock.

www.spin.ph/football/fifa/azkals-practice-match-vs-india-cancelled-holtmann-ruled-out-of-qualifiers-a795-20210527?utm_source=Twitter-Spin&utm_medium=Ownshare&utm_campaign=20210527-twnp-football-azkals-practice-match-vs-india-cancelled-holtmann-ruled-out-of-qualifiers-a795-20210527-twfirst

Since Covid restrictions makes any practice games difficult to schedule for any teams in Qatar, the Philippine's official game against Guam in the qualifiers will be their only chance to gel as a team in more than 2 years before facing China since they haven't played a friendly during that interval because of Covid.

It sounds like Obermair's papers might also not be done yet. Nyholm is still recovering from his career threatening injury so he probably won't be coming as well.

Several other players also haven't arrived yet as their season just ended and their papers are still being worked on so the team can't even practice 11 vs 11 at camp as apparently only 18 players have arrived at the camp at this time.

In the case of Birmingham FC starting GK Neil Etheridge, the longtime starting goalkeeper and alternate captain for the Philippines is still in the middle of his honeymoon after getting married last week, so he will be a little late.

In the meantime Bernd Schipmann and Kevin Ray Mendoza has been practicing in camp as the alternate goalkeepers where they can be evaluated.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #756 Pelefan, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    1. FC Magdeburg midfielder Raphael Obermair announced that he begged off international duty in a further blow to coach Scott Cooper and his staff.

Unlike fellow Fil-German Gerrit Holtmann, he was able to obtain his Philippine passport. However, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has forced him to postpone his Azkals debut.

“I was very pleased with the nomination and am immensely grateful that it worked so quickly with my passport, my Filipino citizenship. Especially during this coronavirus pandemic, the Philippine Football Federation has helped me so well,” he told the team’s official website.

“But I have decided to give up this journey now. I wouldn’t be able to travel until May 30th, I couldn’t even get to know the team and the whole team around me. And it is very important to me to get a good insight. In addition, we have had a stressful season in which there was virtually no winter break.”

This development compounds the issues surrounding the attendance of the Azkals as they gear up for the crucial qualifying matches in their training camp in Doha, Qatar.

Reports earlier stated that midfielder John-Patrick Strauss picked up an injury while playing for his team, FC Erzgebirge Aue.

Obermair would have been a welcome addition for the Philippines, which will face the likes of Guam, Maldives, and China. The 25-year-old midfielder’s contributed five goals and six assists in 25 appearances for 1. Magdeburg this season. Nevertheless, he is not closing his doors on an eventual debut for the Azkals.

“I’m very proud, even if it’s a small country in terms of football. But I keep hearing that the national team is very important in the Philippines. I am also told very often when I will be playing for the national team. My mother is also really looking forward to seeing me in this special jersey,” said the 6-ft-0 footballer.

“In any case, I would be happy if the next international trip works out, hopefully this year.”

tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/fil-german-obermair-postpones-azkals-debut/209122

With so many Euro based players missing from the first call up, I wonder if the team can still call up additional players from Asia at this late stage.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    rickie22 and Ofori repped this.
  8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If Philippines finish 2nd in the group let's say you guys beat Guam and Maldives but then China is the real test...if you guys can beat China in China on the road or you can at least get a point, then would that even be enough for 2nd? China what is their schedule looking like? You guys would have to depend on the Chinese to lose games or depend on Syria to lose games also

But then let's say sake of argument you guys get 2nd, would that mean you guys would advance to the next round of World Cup qualifying? Or would you guys just be eliminated from that but still in contention for Asian Cup qualifying? I don't know how it works

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #759 Pelefan, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Strauss has also taken his name out of consideration for the Philippine national football team because of injury.

Due to these late withdrawals from the National squad which now includes many of their best Euro based pros such as Strauss, Holtmann, Obermair, and Nyholm, reserve players Justin Baas and Mike Ott from the national team pool who both play for United City FC that is slated to participated in the AFC Champion's League late next month have now been called in to the Azkals to replace them.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yes, 4 or 5 of the best 2nd placed teams among the groups in the current stage will also advance so assuming they beat China and China loses or ties Syria, the Philippines will most likely advance.

It is a tall order though that would require help from other teams to accomplish.

rickie22 and Ofori repped this.
  11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly you guys have to depend on other teams but just do your job and win games period

12. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
    A new wrinkle is the withdrawal of Korea DPR: for the purposes of ranking 2nd- and 4th-place teams for the next rounds of qualification, results against the 5th-place team (currently Guam in Group A) do not count. (source)

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #763 Pelefan, May 28, 2021
    Interesting. That would be disadvantageous to the 2nd placed team in Grp A since Guam hasn't won a game yet in competition and would have helped the former get a better goal differential as well as winning percentage among the 2nd placed teams in all of the groups that are still in contention.

14. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another article about Matthew Baldisimo, with a little bit about brother Michael turning down the opportunity to join the Azkals, in the hopes of cracking Canada's senior team (he had participated for the U23s in Olympic qualifying earlier this year). With Scott Cooper explicitly saying he's no longer considering Michael for the Philippines, I'm hoping now that Michael does get capped for Canada, perhaps as early as next month (Canada's squad for their upcoming WCQ matches has yet to be announced).

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I read and referenced that earlier.

It would be a shame for Michael Baldisimo to get capped in the Gold Cup and then not get called up again by Canada in other future events though since he loses any eligibility to play for the Philippines men's team after being capped by Canada. He also will never get the opportunity to play with his brother in a men's team against other countries at that point.

Canada has a lot of young players who are already in Europe and in the MLS. It is going to be very difficult for Michael to compete with those guys.

I do have a question for you though. How good is the third brother Mark(who is still at the Whitecaps Academy) among the Baldisimo's. Does he have a chance to become successful professionally?

16. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
    ^ Of course I'd like to see as many Baldisimos suit up for the same club and country! But based on that article, that might not happen in the short term, if at all, particularly if Matthew and Michael get capped in the next round of matches.

Michael has been featuring for VWFC in the last year or so, and he did participate for the U23 side in Olympic qualifying, so he could get a look for Canada. The Whitecaps don't play again until mid-June, so he could get called up for the next two WCQ matches.

I honestly don't know anything about where Mark is in regards to his current development. The article did mention he is the oldest of the three (he's 25). A quick search shows he was with TSS Rovers (USL League Two) in 2019.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #767 Pelefan, May 28, 2021
    The Baldisimo brother's situation sort of reminds of the de Guzman brothers. Jonathan and Julian de Guzman are both half Filipinos who played for either the Netherlands or Canada.

Julian is one of Canada's best players and former captain and holds the most caps(89) for them. He was the first Canadian to play in the Spanish La Liga.

Jonathan de Guzman decided to play for the Netherlands instead of Canada or the Philippines and only ended up earning 14 caps for them. He was rewarded by being making the WC Cup roster and playing in the 2014 World Cup. He has played his entire pro career in Europe.

I believed the Philippines wanted to recruit both of them at one time but they were too good to consider playing for a small football country like the Philippines.

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #768 Pelefan, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    It looks like the roster has been completely overhauled at the last minute

Players in the initial pool that are out of the squad for the remaining qualifying matches of 2022 World Cup Qualifying and 2023 Asian Cup.

www.facebook.com/TheAzkalsPH/photos/a.291786281003871/1803957496453401/

Etheridge, Strauss, de Vera, Ramsay, de Murga, Obermair, Holtmann, Fagerlie, Nyholm

Late Callups:

Daniels, Mike Ott, Kammeraad, Baas

arrived on Saturday for camp. Team will leave for Shanghai on Monday May 31

www.facebook.com/TheAzkalsPH/photos/a.291786281003871/1803947896454361/

I am not confident they can get by China at this rate since so many key players are missing, so I am lowering my expectations at this point at least when it comes to the next stage of the WC qualifiers. They should still advance to the next Asian Cup qualifying stage though.

There will still be many new young players that are at the men's camp for the first time that will now get their chance to be evaluated and possibly make an impact on the team so that is good for the Philippines moving forward. That includes Kempter, Baldisimo, Tabinas, Winhoffer, Schipman, Gayoso and Diano.

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless Philippines win their next 2 games against Guam and Maldives which are basically gimme games but then the real test comes against China; what Philippines should do is park the bus against the Chinese and attack when you need to attack but then catch them on counter especially if they make any mistakes

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Final 20 man roster for June WC/AC qualifiers

[​IMG]

Ofori repped this.
  21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Shouldn't it be a 23 man squad rather than 20

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #772 Pelefan, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Other players called up in the initial camp roster(including 7 or 8 potential starters) didn't make it due to passport and visa issues, Covid travel restrictions, injuries, or family emergency so by the process of elimination they had no choice but go with whoever was left from that roster plus a few late invitees.

And I agree. They need to adapt a counterattacking strategy against China. However with China naturalizing 5 Brazilian and English players without any ties to their country to their team, it still might not be enough to hold them off.

Ofori repped this.
  23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Maybe not but it is better to play for a draw against China by parking the bus but then if you beat Guam and Maldives you have to have a superior goal difference than China to basically finish 2nd because you guys would be level on points but it is going to come down to goal difference if anything

24. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
    Agreed. I'm figuring the last matchday against Maldives will now be the key match, to determine 3rd place and a direct spot in the next round of Asian Cup qualifying. Keeping hopes alive, though…

Canada released their squad list today, and Michael Baldisimo is not on it. There is still a possibility of him being in the Gold Cup roster later this summer.

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless you guys get a result against China...a win or a draw should be good enough