Philippines Football Thread II[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1 Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Yup. Definitely idiotic, evil. As I mentioned before, there wouldn't be the prospect of a national league today without the appeal that the foreign trained Filipinos has brought to Philippine football. Who do you think the fans follow in the news and social media? Like it or not, football still lacks maintstream appeal and we need the attention that they bring in order to keep our young league going especially in its formative stages. If we follow your suggestions, Philippine football will still be stuck in the dark ages, with no media coverage, no sponsors, no television contracts, no respectable national team program, and definitely no professional league(whether national or at the regional level).

If you know anything about Philippine football history, they tried your formula before BTW, limiting the number of Filipino Chinese in a prospective league before. All that did was scare away the potential
    sponsors who at that time came mostly from the Filipino Chinese community who were enthusiastic about the sport. Philippine football as a result, lost a lot of its backers and the national team programs suffered the after effects of that short sighted decision. It is one of the reasons Philippine football was stuck in the doldrums for so long, as they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot whenever a bright lining appears to potentially revive the sport.

As for basketball, if you have been following this thread, you should know by now that I also follow Philippine basketball as well, so yeah the cap on FilAms in the PBA is old news for me and just like the ban on foreign coaches in the PBA is something I disagree with.

And yes both MLS and especially its predecessor the NASL(which I think is a more relevant example as football at the grassroots level had largely not taken off yet at the time similar to the Philippine situation) would not have gotten off the ground without its foreign trained American reinforcements and imports helping broaden its appeal and increasing its standards.

2. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    What do you mean "how does that help..."? That's my idea for a homegrown criteria. It should also be obvious which I've already stated before. It's to put more standards in the local game perhaps along with a tad bit of integrity.

How would the leauge suffer? I think you're overrating the supposed quality of local football begin with. What's worse is that your end game is the national team. Meaning, you want clubs to continue "importing" non homegrown players of Filipino descent just for the sake of the national team. Let's be honest, that's idiotic! That in itself isn't sustainable. In fact, as it is, there's barely anymore players of Filipino descent that standout that could be brought in by the clubs that also fall in to your idea of sustaining the national team.

What's the difference in enforcing such a rule now as opposed to a couple of years later?

Different league, different set up, different circumstances. All this comparing to the MLS or US soccer in general also needs to stop. All it's doing it making you very short sighted in terms of putting ideas forward for the betterment of the local game.

3. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Again, you clearly don't seem to be properly reading my posts. My idea isn't to limit the foreign raised/traied players of Filipino descent to a few or to completely ban them from the local game. My limit was set at 8-10!!! For arguments sake and to favor you as well as others who are a bit short sighted, let's just say the limit is 10 non homegrown Filipinos. That's more than enough per team. That's on top of having 4 (3+1) foreigners. That's an entire starting 11 with three subs!!

To give some numbers, the following are the more notable clubs with the amount of non homegrown Filipino players. Only Ceres has gone overboard.

Ceres - 12 (13 if you count Muller)
    Global - 7 (Perhaps 8 depending on Dorlas; excludes Menigishi as he's counted as a foreigner and excludes Sato)
    Loyola - 9 (most likely 10 with Belgira)
    Kaya - 9 (perhaps 10 depending on Sean Kane; exludes Porteria)
    Stallion - 3
    Green Archers - None
    So no!! A non homegrown rule isn't idiotic and easily enforceable!! In fact as I've already mentioned before, it's ironic that Ceres has the most non homegrown Filipinos because they're a club from a region which prides itself on being a hotbed of local football as well as the fact that they won the last two U-23 national championships. You'd think they'd be able to bring through more talent but instead they've gotten rid of most of their local talent in favor of what is practically hoarding of players with national team caps. That also doesn't help the national team! You and your notion of football "being stuck in the dark ages" with a ruling like this is just a load BS to say the least. Talk about drama! LOL! This is you trying to be critical for the sake of it. Have something more substantial that if you're going to do so!

Different era, different circumstances. A lot has changed since, the game in general as well as the local game both on and off the pitch! If we go with that logic, that's like saying that the PFF tried to create a national league before and failed therefore it won't be able to do so in the future.

The game has already gotten off the ground. You don't sustain it that way!

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #4 Pelefan, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Okay I see your point. I still think that unlike in basketball there aren't enough Filipinos trained abroad available to really crowd out the homegrowns and prevent them from developing. On the contrary I think they help our local players improve. But as long as you keep the limits as large as you suggested(10), I would be willing to live with that although I believe the salary cap that the PFF plans to implement will pretty much accomplish your goals distributing talent throughout the league, without necessarily discriminating against our compatriots who were trained abroad some of whom I think will feel offended by such a rule(Etheridge, and a few others were pretty vocal about anybody questioning their loyalties) and which I am against in principle.

Therefore with the stated salary cap in place, there really is no need for your rule. You know what they say, if you don't learn from the mistakes you committed in the past, you are destined to repeat it. So regardless of the era or circumstances, we must not be too arrogant and feel we can't learn from it. Same holds true with learning from the experience that other countries have accumulated(US, Australia, Europe or SEA) in setting up their respective leagues. We don't really have to invent the wheel. We just need to adopt it to our particular circumstances.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #5 Pelefan, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Areola has been chosen as one of the 3 goalkeepers for the French team in friendlies against Bulgaria and the Netherlands.

[​IMG]

He has been starting at goalkeeper with PSG alternating with Kevin Trapp. Although he has been called in at national team training camps during friendlies, so far he has not been capped yet, but it looks like it is just a matter of time. He is the youngest player among the trio at 23 and it looks like he is being groomed to take over someday.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Global FC rules league with a match to spare to complete UFL season double

GLOBAL FC cemented its status as the best football team in the country this year as it ruled the United Football League on Sunday with a match to spare to complete season double.

Needing only a draw to clinch the title, the reigning UFL Cup champion still refused to pull its punches as it overwhelmed Laos FC, 7-0, at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.

Hikaru Minegishi and Matthew Hartmann registered a hat-trick each while Ivan Petrovic also found the back of the net for Global, which jacked up its tally to 47 points after 18 matches

The result dethroned defending champion Ceres-La Salle, Global’s closest pursuer that was left nine points behind the pacesetters and can only collect as many as 44 points in its last two outings.

Global thus claimed its first league title in two years and third overall.

The powerhouse club owned by Azkals manager Dan Palami also became the most successful UFL club with six trophies in Division 1, including two UFL Cup and one Football Alliance Cup conquests.

Read more at www.spin.ph/football/ufl/news/global-fc-rules-league-with-two-matches-to-sto-complete-ufl-double#vPXQfQEW3K6xbeMj.99

[​IMG]

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand that but I really don't see how it will help foster the type of improvement we all want. Imposing these standards at this point in time (when there aren't really that many good local footballers to begin with) isn't the way to go.

See above. I do want the Azkals to be good but in the interim you rely on what is going to get you good to increase exposure of the team and league. Finding good coaches to train players is expensive and unless people watch, there will be no money.

Because the infrastructure will be in place to support it.

Agree it's different but there are also similar analogies as well (or you can look at the J-League but even then they focused on grassroots from the very beginning and didn't have basketball to contend with).

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #8 Pelefan, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Brothers Manny and Mike Ott finally set to play together for the Philippine National team.

[​IMG]

Oct
    At Last: Manny and Mike Ott Fulfil Dream of Playing Together

When the Azkals squad was announced for the FIFA International friendly matches against Bahrain and DPR Korea, the Philippines got a massive boost: Mike Ott was called up.

Playing as a second striker or as an attacking midfielder in the reserve team of 1.FC Nurnberg, Mike Ott is the latest addition to the Azkals in preparation for next month’s Suzuki Cup. Mike is the younger brother of Azkals mainstay and Ceres-La Salle midfielder Manny Ott. The Otts have another brother, Mike’s twin Marco, who also played football as a child, but has decided to focus on his studies back in Germany.

This is not the first time Mike Ott has been called up to the squad. The forward part of the team during the June 2013 friendly match against Hong Kong but former Azkals coach Hans Weiss decided against handing Mike his first international cap.

Now, Mike may finally get his chance, and in front of the home crowd to boot. Older brother Manny is raring to see his younger brother play. According to the older Ott, Mike was also called up for the friendly against Kyrgyzstan last month but he was unable to join the team because of club commitments.

“It’s good to have Mikey here,” said Manny after the training session at the Rizal Memorial Stadium yesterday. “We tried to convince him to play (for the Azkals in the past) now it finally got to happen.”

With only two training sessions under his belt, Mike has already shown what he can provide for the team.

“He did well in the trainings and he’s a good addition to the team offensively,” Manny said like only an older brother could. “I’m happy that he’s here.”

“The training was good,” Mike added. “I hope that I can play for my national team, the Philippines. I’m very proud to be here.”

On Friday’s match against Bahrain, the Ott brothers finally have the chance to live out their dream of playing together for the national team.

“The last time I remember we played (was) in a pitch in Germany when we were small and it was a long time ago,” said Mike. “Now it’s a dream come true to have my brother with me on the pitch and the national team.”

Coach Thomas Dooley was delighted with Mike’s decision to play for the Philippines and his performance in the training sessions.

“I would like to see Mike playing with us against a strong team to see what he can do,” said Dooley. “He will definitely get playing time.”

Should Mike feature in either of the friendlies, he and Manny will be another set of brothers that have played together for the national team. In the recent past the Azkals have had several brothers playing for the flag: Armand and Anton Del Rosario; James and Phil Younghusband; Chris, Phil, and Simon Greatwich; Darren (U23), Matthew, and Mark Hartmann; Marvin and Marwin Angeles; Juani and Angel Guirado.

The Azkals face Bahrain this Friday, October 7, 2016 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium. Kick off is at 8:00 PM. Tickets are available at all TicketWorld outlets. — CAL

football.com.ph/at-last-manny-and-mike-ott-fulfil-dream-of-playing-together/

Finally Mike Ott made his debut tonight, makes an immediate impact and scores a goal. Unfortunately the Philippines has fallen behind 1-3 to Bahrain. They are missing key players like Daisuke Sato, Neil Etheridge, Stephan Palla, and Javier Patino.

9. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Umm, no. A salary cap does not mean it would limit non homegrown Filipino players. As you said, it would help distribute talent a bit more but it doesn't mean it would limit non homegrown Filipno players. There's a clear difference!

I also agree, though only to a certain extent that the Filipinos trained abroad help improve the local players but only by so much. Transfer of technology in this case is a bit overrated.

A ruling like this, as I've said before, has nothing to do with loyalties, patriotism, descrimination, labor laws or whatever else you can come up with. Things like this would be implemented for the sake of the local game, specifically long term benefits.

Yes, we should learn from our mistakes from the past but your interpretation of that seems to be leaning more towards the idea of "never again" instead of "can it be done again but in a different way" (or something along those lines). It's not like we're talking about crimes against humanity here. As you say, we need to adopt it to fit our circumstances but that shouldn't mean you completely ignore it because it either wasn't successful or it wasn't done at all in another place.

10. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    What's your idea of "fostering the type of improvement we all want"? By allowing clubs to register an entire squad of non homegrown players? That's definitely not the way to go!

I agree though that there aren't many good local players. But that's just it though. You can't keep ignoring or bypassing that reality. At some point you're going to have to get them to have some role in the league even if it's just squad players to begin with. That time is pretty much now with the inception of the national league.

See the stats I posted in response to pelefan. Imposing a limit of 10 isn't going to hurt anyone!

Pffft! You honestly think infrastructure will magically rise within a couple of years?!? I understand theres a lot of optimism and hope that football will improve with the inception of the national league with a proper club licensing system but that's clutching a straws! Again, see stats I posted above regarding the number of non homegrown Filipinos per team.

Japan didn't have basketball to contend with, it was baseball! Same thing! Shouldn't stop you from putting in regulations for the long term betterment of the league and game in general!

11. iloilo1896

iloilo1896 Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've been monitoring the age-limit competitions that the Philippine national teams have been participating in, and the kids look absolutely pathetic. They can't even do simple give-and-gos. It's embarrassing just how sad they are. And the fact that the Azkals are ranked no. 1 in Southeast Asia does not mirror what exactly is going on at the youth level. We've been heavily recruiting Filipinos raised outside of the Philippines for the senior national team for the past several years now. Even though it has done wonders for resurrecting the domestic game, the focus must be on getting the younger generation to improve.

Another thing that is incredibly annoying is Kick and Rush football. I'm tired of seeing it. It's everywhere in the Philippines. It's outdated and does not suit the Filipinos. I remember talking to someone from Hong Kong years ago, and he told me that their players admire the Latin American style and try to mimic it because they see similarities in the players' physical build and how the possession and creative style suits them ... We Filipinos are so clueless we continue to hire coaches with Northern European mentalities. The Azkals, as well as they have been doing since 2010, are very frustrating to watch the majority of the time because they seem to lack the technical aspect in their game. For example, in 2012, we had size and strength on our side with all our European-based Azkals ... yet we couldn't win the important trophies in our region. Our smaller Southeast Asian counterparts were running circles around us and playing with panache--and still doing it.

I'm excited about the Suzuki Cup coming up, but I'm very pessimistic about our chances. We've got size and strength again, but technically and tactically, I'm not impressed. There are many developing football countries that are moving up ... but the Philippines appears to be moving sideways.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Final Standings

[​IMG]

Global and Ceres earn AFC slots.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Misagh Bahadoran replicates scoring effort against Kyrgyzstan as Azkals score morale-boosting win before Suzuki Cup

THIRD time’s the charm indeed for the Philippines as it nipped Kyrgyzstan, 1-0, at the Rizal Memorial Stadium on Wednesday night in the Azkals’ last friendly before the Suzuki Cup.

Misagh Bahadoran came in the second half and provided the spark after plenty of dull moments, scoring the lone goal that mattered and resulted in the win after two straight losses in their friendlies.

It was a morale-boosting win over higher-ranked opponent for the Filipino booters less than two weeks before the Suzuki Cup kicks off on November 19.

“It’s a work in progress, but I like the way we’re headed,” Azkals manager Dan Palami said. “We’re peaking at the right time.”

After giving the visitors little threat in the first half, the Azkals turned it up a notch after intermission and were rewarded when Bahadoran conspired with Iain Ramsay and finished with his left foot that unlocked the Kyrgyzstani defense.

The Global FC star thus replicated this scoring effort in the Azkals’ 2-1 win over Kyrgyzstan in their friendly in Bishkek last September.

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/football/azkals/...zkals-score-morale-boosti#vZe62XXRcl8B0vf2.99

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

The PFF Women’s League kicks off this weekend at the Rizal Memorial Stadium with the following fixtures:

12 November 2016 (Saturday) / Rizal Memorial Stadium

02:00pm M-01: FEU vs Outkast FC

04:00pm M-02: UST vs Fuego Espana

13 November 2016 (Sunday) / Rizal Memorial Stadium

02:00 am M-03: Hiraya FC vs Kaya FC

04:00 pm M-04: UP vs GAU FC

06:00 pm M-05: TYFA vs DLSU

The league is composed of eleven (11) teams which will battle each other in a double round robin format which the champion will be determined by the league table. The matches will be played on weekends starting 12 November 2016 – 04 February 2017 for the first round. The second round will resume on 20 May until 16 July 2017.

The following are the teams in the PFF Women’s League:

Far Eastern University

Outkast FC

University of Santo Tomas

Fuego Espana

Hiraya FC

Kaya FC

University of the Philippines

Green Archers United FC

TYFA

De la Salle University

The PFF Women’s League is a PFF Sanctioned amateur competition under the FIFA Women’s Football Development Project 2016 – Philippines.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #16 Pelefan, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    AFF Suzuki Cup 2016 Players Based Abroad Update: Mike Ott in Manila to join #Azkals. Javier Patiño ruled out due to club commitments. Daisuke Sato waiting for release from Iasi(Romanian top tier league).

[@cedelfptINQ]

Offseason for Patino's Chinese club, but he was not released. He is considered the Azkal's best forward. Unfortunately since the Suzuki Cup is not a FIFA continental rated tournament, clubs are not obligated to release their players.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Here are the #AFFSuzukiCup 2016 match fixtures hosted in the Philippines. The Philippine Sports Stadium is in Bocaue, Bulacan and Rizal Memorial Stadium is in Malate, Manila.

[​IMG]

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It looks like defensive standout Sato will not be released by his Romanian club, so he would join WC qualifying starters Patino and Etheridge who begged off from the Suzuki Cup due to club commitments. Along with the injuries to Rota and Reichelt as well as the retirement of the several national team mainstays with European experience on defence, this is a very much weakened team compared to their WC qualifying rosters but will still be competitive regionally.

19. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Depends what your definition of "competitive" is. Quite frankly this squad is competitive enough only to save face! Or at least to some extent. They can barely hit a barn door at the moment and to make matters worse there's a gaping hole at the back.

I don't expect them to get out of the group. Would like to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath. A lot of the problems of this team right now are Dooley's own doing! If they can't get out of the group, he should be sacked! And no, that's not overacting. His player selections (in some cases, a lack of), him pissing around with the system along with a handful of player's positions have been dodgy to say the least for some time and it's certainly not the way forward.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #21 Pelefan, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    They will be competitive but I am not too optimistic about their chances because the defence has been hastily patched together with spare parts that have limited experience internationally. I don't think you can blame Dooley for the retirements, players not released and injuries that have befallen the team in the backline. As for replacing him, I am sure there are better options. The question is can they afford them. There is a reason why all the coaches they have hired have very limited coaching experience. My guess is they will let him just like Weiss, finish his contract before making any decisions. Anyway considering how many of the starting players they have lost, it will be a big test for Dooley on whether the Philippines can parlay a decent performance in this tournament.

21. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Chances of what? Getting out of the group?

I'm not blaming him for those things. Those are obviously uncontrollable. What is controllable is how you go about dealing with it. This is where part of his sh!t storm has been created! Just looking at the CB position alone... absolutely pathetic to say the least! For the Suzuki Cup, apart from Aguinaldo who is still only 21 and very raw, the only other natural CB in the preliminary squad is Tacusalme an he never got a look in. Instead and out of nowhere, 17 year old Marco Casambre (who's more a LB than a CB) was named in the final friendly before the tournament but was unused. Chances are he'll be in the final squad. For the tournament, it looks like it will be Villanueva again that will partner Aguinaldo. That's got to be the worst CB pairing since the 2002 Tiger Cup!! There's just so much wrong and what I've said is just a partial situation regarding the CB's only!

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    If you are in the Philippines, the games will be broadcast on Aksyon TV 5.

[​IMG]

Outside the Philippines check youtube's Suzuki Cup channel, assuming it is not geoblocked.

Foxsports Asia will also air the games.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I count at least 8 players missing from the Suzuki Cup roster who were part of the WC qualifying squad (lost due to retirements, injuries or not released by their clubs), most of whom were starters. Too bad the Philippines could not field their best squad in this tournament while hosting the group stage. It is hard to be optimistic with so many losses.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Philippines 0-0 Singapore

Singapore went down to 10 men. Philippines dominated on possession but could not finish. Singapore played a tactically disciplined game. Philippines needs to win in the next game against Indonesia to have any chance of advancing out of the group.