Philippine Women's National Football Tryout in the US

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Pelefan, Jul 31, 2021.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.... are you like their PR person or work on their staff? I don't understand what, and forgive me as I have nothing against the Philippine National Women's Team but this forum is specifically for women's college soccer, unless I'm missing the international asterisk somewhere.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    As I mentioned previously, the Philippines recruits from NCAA women's college soccer teams. I would think a lot of college coaches and players who have ties to the country would be interested in news of tryouts for the national team and how those players have fared afterwards.

In fact one of the recent tryouts last November Dominique Randle after excelling in the AFC Asian Cup was given a tryout by Angel City FC and made the preseason roster.

Siddhartha, William49 and ytrs repped this.
  3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #78 Pelefan, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Stanford midfielder Fil Am Maya Doms in particular would be a good catch for the Philippines but she is currently a member of the US U23 WYNT roster and has also represented the US at the U15, U17 level(including the U17 World Cup in Uruguay) and U20 level so she probably still has ambitions to make the US women's roster someday.

There are still plenty of other US NCAA players who are eligible to play for the Philippines though as you can see on this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PSANANation/

4. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Basically anyone on the Stanford roster is already USWNT at some level already, either youth or otherwise. Very doubtful to ever see one on the Filipinas.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I know. Stanford is a powerhouse team that consistently produces national level players for the US.

There is no harm in inviting them to tryout for the Philippines though especially now that the Philippines has qualified for the 2023 FIFA WC with former Aussie head coach and FIFA coach of the year candidate Alen Stajcic leading them.

There are also a few former US NCAA stars who have turned pro and play in Europe now who I would like to see tryout including former Monmouth U forward Karly Tolentino who plays for Cambridge FC in the FA Women’s National League - Division One South East in England scoring 10 goals in 18 appearances for Cambridge last season.

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    This is not true. Very few players go on to the full USWNT. If these Stanford players do not have a legit future with the USWNT they could very well be interested in playing for the Phillipines. Playing in the US YNT system is one thing. Getting into the full US WNT is an entirely different animal.

Siddhartha and Pelefan repped this.
  7. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "Is already USWNT at some level already" is the key phrase. To include youth. I'm willing to hedge my bets that most, if not all, have making the full USWNT team as a goal. Of course they may not get there, but they'll try.

8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Very very few will get there from Stanford or any college program. Look at the dual nationals playing for Mexico from UCLA. They can see where they sit on the USWNT. Tell me who or how many you think are at Stanford now that can play for the US full team in a few years?

9. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I know you like to argue, but I didn't say they would make the USWNT. I said they would try.

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am not arguing with you. I am asking a question. I agree they will try but by the time you are in college you have a pretty good feel for the odds of your future at that level. That is all I am trying to say.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #86 Pelefan, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    The USWNT team is very deep. Even at the U23 level the US fielded 2 different teams this year. The first camp in January included 11 professional players and did not include Fil Am Maya Doms.

The 2nd camp in February(that has Doms as an invite) consisted entirely of amateurs including 5 players from the first camp and participated in the Thorns Preseason Tournament against other NWSL teams.

Despite being invited to the February camp roster, Doms didn't even make an appearance(even as as a sub) in the Thorns Preseason Tournament proper in March.

ytrs repped this.
  12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry for the late response. I think Doms is a longshot to make the senior squad, but could be a decent player for the Philippines at the international level. I would be more realistic and extend invites to Sayer, Ayson, & Pagador. Pagador is an underrated left-sided player. Don't know if Sayer is already a full Matilda, but might find a home with the Philippine squad.

Pelefan repped this.
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #88 Pelefan, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Sayer has already played for the Aussie women's national team in friendlies so just like Pacheco in England who has played for quite awhile now in the English top tier and has been regularly been invited to play for England's U23 team it would be a tall order to expect her to play for the Philippines.

Sayer was even chosen to start by no other than former Aussie national team women's coach(and current Philippine coach) Alen Stajcic for the Matildas in a friendly against England back in 2018 as well as subbing in the friendly against France.

She was called up again in 2021 by the Matildas in friendlies against Germany and Netherlands so they still definitely have her in their plans.

I wasn't aware of Ayson and Pagador. I wonder if they knew that they are eligible to play and have participated in the trials yet when the team was in California.

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Philippines (ranked #68 FIFA) will be playing 4 friendlies in 2 weeks during their training camp in Europe.

June 16th Turkey (ranked #69 FIFA)
    June 19th Ireland (ranked #33 FIFA)
    June 24th and 26th Bosnia and Herzogovina (ranked #58 FIFA)

This is good preparation for the AFF Women's Championships in July where they will be facing WC veterans Australia (ranked #11 FIFA) and Thailand (ranked #39) in their group and possibly WC bound Vietnam (ranked #32 FIFA) if they make it past the group stage.

Gryphons Dad repped this.
  15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I was wrong about the rankings. The Filipinas have moved up to #54 now in the latest FIFA world rankings(Mar 25) as well as the teams they will be facing in the next 2 months: Ireland is now #30, Vietnam #32, Thailand #43, Turkey #69, Bosnia Herzogvina #68 and Australia #12.

Gryphons Dad repped this.
  16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Congrats on many of the Stanford U players in the California Storm(including Fil Ams Doms, Pagador and Ayson) winning the WPSL Championship.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #92 Pelefan, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    It looks like the next friendlies are in the US again in Orange County, California against Panama and New Zealand in the next FIFA window in late August and early September.

Some new US based players including college players are already getting invited for tryouts at the training camp and their clubs are posting the news even before the respective national feds can confirm them.

ytrs repped this.
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It is good to see Maya Doms scoring a goal against the defending Asian Cup Champion and FIFA Womens' World Cup bound China WNT in the latter's US tour against different universities and clubs helping Stanford U friendly win 1-0 against them which might be the only time I have seen China lose a game here in that tour. Were Pagador or Ayson fielded in the game?

19. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Ayson subbed in at 63 minutes. Pagador didn't get in the game.

Pelefan repped this.
  20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Saw that in Facebook. She is having a good summer after playing and winning the WPSL championship with the California Storm in July. What position does she play for Stanford U in defence?

21. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Primarily outside back for both Stanford and Storm.

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Awesome. The Filipinas need more depth at outside back particularly at left back. When Sofia Harrison wasn't available because of injury, they had a hard time finding anybody to replace her and were pulling players from other positions to fill the role.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Aside from Doms, Ayson and Pagador, apparently Nya Harrison is also half Filipina making it 4 players eligible to play for the Philippines from Stanford U. All 4 at one point or another were part of the US national youth teams. Sayer is committed to the Matildas and has 6 caps for their senior team already so there is no point in considering her.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    One of the PWNT's recently capped reserve centerbacks 22 y.o. 5'10" grad student Maya Alcantara(2 caps earned at the AFF tournament this year) who plays for nationally ranked Georgetown U was just named by the US NCAA among the top 11 players in NCAA Div I.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-wo...9F9dKcro50UptbdNiWpV8o2SprM8mUzj7Hq5xbXRN6T2s

D Maya Alcantara (Georgetown)
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a staggering stat for you: Until Butler scored in the 17th minute of a 2-2 draw against Georgetown on Oct. 23, the Hoyas had not allowed a single goal in 12 consecutive matches, a stretch of 52 days and 1,103 minutes of soccer. At the center of that stretch was Alcantara, starting each game this season and anchoring a backline that boasts the most clean sheets in D-I with 13. Her three assists are just the cherry on top of a spectacular CV.

___

She won't be available for callup to the PWNT again this November because of the NCAA tournament's schedule but she should be free to join in December when the PWNT is apparently scheduling a friendly outside the FIFA window.

Many of our best players including medical school students Sara Eggesvik and Ryley Bugay(grad cum laude) have had outstanding academic and athletic careers. Add grad student Maya Alcantara to that list.

25. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Member

Leeds
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    Elise Evans...but it will take more than a few years to get there IMO