Philippine Women's National Football Tryout in the US

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Pelefan, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Philippine Women's National Team has started their training camp in the US in preparation for the AFC Women's Asian Cup with former Australian head coach Stajcic manning the helm.

https://thewomensgame.com/news/8216...9_XPcZeUvq63N71lnnikOiwtzStCgdq_GucTj5Jju-Csk

“It was always going to happen,” Stajcic said of the draw which pits the Philippines in Group B alongside Australia, Thailand and Indonesia.

“But the reality is Australia (who as co-hosts are not competing for one of five direct World Cup qualification spots up for grabs) don’t really matter in this tournament,” Stajcic told FTBL.

“They are playing for experience and the prestige of winning the Asian Cup. But for us, and the others, vying for one of those spots is the biggest priority.

“For the match against the Matildas I have to put my own ego aside and really focus on the big picture of the tournament.

“We have Thailand and Indonesia in our group and to be honest they’re bigger matches for us.

“As important as the Australia game might be for me personally it’s certainly not in the big picture for us.

“They are 11 countries chasing those five spots and we have beat those nations that can qualify.

“Australia are a super power, and measuring up against them right now is a daunting challenge.

“We need to focus on the games we can win.”

Stajcic is two weeks into a training camp in California ahead of the Asian Cup, attempting to craft and mould a raw group of players into a feisty and competitive unit.

“These players do lack experience in major tournaments but there’s a great desire there to work hard and improve,” he explained.

“The hunger and motivation is impressive - and there’s a passion to qualify for the first World Cup for their country, male or female.

“There are a lot of players who’ve played a decent amount of football and a couple based in Japan.

“The PFF have provided great resources and for me this is a chance to share my knowledge with a team that’s had to do it tough.

“I think back to our experience in Australia of not qualifying for a World Cup in 32 years and to have the honour and privilege to possibly lead the Philippines to a first World Cup is a huge incentive for us.

“I watched them play at the last Asian Cup, which was their first appearance there in 20 odd years.

“They really surprised me: they lost 3-0 to China and 4-1 to Thailand. But they were definitely in every match, and I remember thinking with a little bit of structure and organisation (they could be far more competitive).

“You are now starting to get players who have 30 to 40 caps under their belts.

“It’s a tough - we’re the lowest ranked out of the 12 countries there and will have to punch above our weight to be successful.”

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    This early in training camp in California would be the best time to tryout for the Philippines Women's National team as they prepare to participate for the AFC Women's Asian Cup that serves as qualifiers to the FIFA Women's World Cup.

3. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It sounds like the coach has already conceded they will lose to Australia, which is probably realistic, but at least sound like you have a chance.

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #29 Pelefan, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    I totally agree with his assessment. Australia is a totally different level from the Philippines. Besides the interview came from an Australian website so you would expect direct questions addressed to him about his time as the Aussie national women's manager and how he sees his squad's chances against the Aussie team.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #30 Pelefan, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Philippines squad named for AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022
    Tuesday, January 11, 2022

The stage is set for the Philippine Women’s National Team as it seeks World Cup qualification in the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022, which kicks off on 20 January 2022 in India.

The Philippines take on Thailand, Australia, and Indonesia in Group B with matches to be played in Navi Mumbai, Mumbai, and Pune.

The top two teams from each group, along with the two best third placed teams, will qualify to the knockout stages. The 12 teams will also contest for the five qualification spots for the FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023.

Day
    Kick-off time Manila time Match Venue
    21-Jan-22 5:30 PM 8:00 PM Thailand vs. Philippines D.Y. Patil Stadium, Navi Mumbai
    24-Jan-22 3:30 PM 6:00 PM Philippines vs. Australia Mumbai Football Arena, Mumbai
    27-Jan-22 7:30 PM 10:00 PM Philippines vs. Indonesia Shri Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex , Pune
    Head coach Alen Stajcic, who was appointed last October 2021, has been in the thick of the team’s preparation for the Women’s Asian Cup with a training camp held from November 2021 to January 2022 in Irvine, California, USA.

“I’ve got a lot of hope and a lot of belief that we can actually achieve the goal,” said Stajcic. “The players are all aligned and driven to succeed as one and that’s what we have to do to give ourselves every possible chance of getting one of those spots for the World Cup.”

The Philippine Football Federation (PFF) called up twenty-three (23) players to form the final squad for the competition.

Team captain Tahnai Annis leads the team together with defender Hali Long. Forward Chandler McDaniel, who made an impact in the qualifiers, is also in the squad together with goalkeeper Inna Palacios, midfielders Jessica Miclat, Sara Castañeda, Camille Rodriguez, and defenders Tara Shelton and Sofia Harrison.

WE League players Sarina Bolden (Chifure AS Elfen) and Quinley Quezada (JEF United Chiba Ladies), as well as midfielder Eva Madarang make their return to the squad after last seeing action during the 2019 Southeast Asian Games.

Katrina Guillou, who plays for Swedish side Piteå IF, is among the newcomers to the squad along with Dominque Randle, Isabella Flanigan, Kiara Fontanilla, and former youth players Keanne Alamo and Carleigh Frilles.

Stajcic also has an experienced coaching staff working along him in assistant coach Nahuel Arrarte, goalkeeping coach Ludovic Antunes, fitness coach Luca Tonetti, and former national team captain and now assistant coach Patrice Impelido.

PFF Women’s Committee Co-Chairperson Jefferson Cheng is the Team Manager and has been actively supporting the team throughout the preparation. The team is also supported by the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) and the MVP Sports Foundation.

[​IMG]

Players:

Name
    Position Last Appearance
    Inna Kristianne PALACIOS Goalkeeper AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Kiara FONTANILLA Goalkeeper First tournament with WNT
    Olivia Alexandra DAVIES MCDANIEL Goalkeeper AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Dominque Jaylin RANDLE Defender First tournament with WNT
    Tara-Allison SHELTON Defender AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Hali Moriah LONG Defender AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Kristen Ryley BUGAY Defender AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Morgan BROWN Defender AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2018
    Isabella FLANIGAN Defender First tournament with WNT
    Sofia Nicole HARRISON Defender AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Katrina Jacqueline GUILLOU Defender First tournament with WNT
    Malea Louise CESAR Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Tahnai Lauren ANNIS Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Kathleen Camille RODRIGUEZ Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Jessica Anne MICLAT Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Anicka Chabeli CASTAÑEDA Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Sara Isobel CASTAÑEDA Midfielder AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Keanne Micah ALAMO Midfielder From Youth NT (2019 Girls U16)
    Chandler Blue MCDANIEL Forward AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Qualifiers
    Carleigh Bennet FRILLES Forward From Youth NT (2016 Girls U14)
    Sarina Isabel BOLDEN Forward 30th Southeast Asian Games
    Eva MADARANG Forward 30th Southeast Asian Games
    Quinley Mirielle QUEZADA Forward 30th Southeast Asian Games

https://pff.org.ph/2022/01/11/philippines-squad-named-for-afc-womens-asian-cup-2022/

I count 5 players who play professionally in clubs from Europe and Japan. Majority of the team currently play or have played college soccer in the US NCAA including several newcomers and even 2 US based high schoolers.

6. Sophos

Sophos Member

Feb 20, 2020
    You obviously seem to know them well. If you had time and knew I would be interested in what schools they play/played for? No reason except you have piqued my interest. If it is difficult don't worry about it.

7. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I recognized two names, Tahnai Annis was at Florida and Katrina Guillou went to UNC Wilmington (and playing professionally in Europe since). Two down, many to go.

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #33 Pelefan, Jan 11, 2022
    Actually you can check their club and school affiliation from the AFC website rosters by scrolling down to the Philippine Women's National Team Roster

https://assets.the-afc.com/AFC_Wome...Women's-Asian-Cup-India--2022-Squad-Lists.pdf

The pros are Katrina Guillou who plays top tier football for Pitea in Sweden, Eva Madarang (CD Pozoalbense, Spain), Jessica Miclat (Aris Limmasol, Cyprus), Sarina Bolden (Chifure AS Elfen, Japan) and Quinley Quezada (JEF United Ichihara CHiba). All of them are US NCAA college graduates like many of the other players in the national team.

The 2 players I see that have high school affiliation are Malea Cesar (Sunset High School, United
    States) and Isabella Flanigan (Montverde Academy, United States) both of whom are making their debut for the national team.

The team had a long training camp(including tryouts early on) in California starting in November and engaged in numerous friendlies with US clubs, all star select and college teams with the pros eventually joining the national team when they were released by their respective clubs.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #34 Pelefan, Jan 11, 2022
    It is too bad they don't have Fil Canadian, US NCAA grad and former pro(top flight Iceland) Jesse Shugg anymore who scored a couple of goals for them in the last Asian Women's Cup and WC qualifying cycle and another pro Cathrine Graversen who plays in the Italian Serie B league.

Most of the 5 pros joining the national team play top flight football in their respective clubs in Europe and Japan except for Madarang whose club is in the Spanish Segunda Division Pro.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #35 Pelefan, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Apparently they mostly scrimmaged against WPSL teams in California made up of Division 1 college and ex college players, ex pros or girls looking to get to the professional level including some who had national team players from Mexico and El Salvador and other CONCACAF countries and got better results as their team chemistry got better.

Because of COVID quarantine restrictions they weren't able to arrange a friendly against teams from other countries.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Philippines’ Bolden and Quezada aiming high at India 2022

Four years ago in Jordan, the Philippines women’s national team achieved its best ever finish at an AFC Women’s Asian Cup with a sixth placed finish.

Now with former Matildas head coach Alen Stajcic at the helm, the PFF appear to be doubling down on their efforts to raise the profile and standard of its women’s game, both locally and on the global stage.

Lifting the trophy at India 2022 might be a step too far for the side modestly ranked 64th in the FIFA rankings. However, qualification to a first ever FIFA Women’s World Cup remains a tantalizing prize given the significant implications such an achievement would have on the development of the sport in a country where football trails behind volleyball and basketball in the popularity contest.

Quinley Quezada and Sarina Bolden are key attacking components of this Philippines side and both play club football at professional level in the Japanese WE League. Taking time out from their current Los Angeles training camp, the duo spoke with The Asian Game to share their thoughts and expectations ahead of India 2022.

Quinley and Sarina, thank you both for taking the time to speak with us amidst a busy training schedule. Right off the bat, how is the mood around the training camp?

SB: “It’s been really good so far. The last time Quinley and I were together with the girls was back in 2019 and it’s been great seeing everyone again. I’m feeling a lot of nostalgia for the amazing experience we had last time around and I’m ready to do it all over again in India.”

QQ: “Absolutely. As we are both based in Japan, we arrived a little later than everyone else. I was texting some of the girls and asking: ‘hey how’s the new coaching staff?’ and the response was really positive. Then for us to come in to such a positive environment has been really motivating and has us fired up for the games ahead.”

Alen Stajcic brings a wealth of experience having reached back-to-back Women’s Asian Cup finals with Australia in 2014 and 2018. How would you describe his coaching style and what have been the focus points of his training exercises so far?

SB: “Not only Coach Alen, but the whole coaching team has been great and we are learning a lot. His coaching style is very simplistic and it is easy to understand what he wants from us. When he asks certain things of us there is no confusion and the instructions are straight to the point. As a team we are picking up on things very quickly and are feeling well prepared for the tournament.”

QQ: “Our new coaching team has come in and given us a solid foundation and structure to work within. On top of that they allow and encourage us to be creative and add our own spin on how we play.”

SB: “His past experience with Australia provides us with another perspective. During training he’ll often refer to world class talent he’s worked with in the past, such as Sam Kerr, and mention some of things she’s done to raise her game in training. Naturally this is an ideal example for us to follow and raise our own game in doing so.”

The Philippines are placed in Group B with Australia, Indonesia and Thailand. How are you feeling about your group stage opposition?

QQ: “Honestly, I think it’s a pretty solid group for us. It’s a little similar to the group we drew last time around and again we have Thailand. We have a tough team in Australia and a team we have a good chance against in Indonesia. We definitely have a strong chance of getting 2nd or maybe 1st in the group standings.”

SB: “I totally agree. When I found out who we got in the draw I was like ‘oh yeah!’. I’m also pretty excited to play against Australia. It’d be amazing to get the win against them, but I feel a draw would be a pretty good result too. Against Indonesia and Thailand I think we have a great chance to get a strong finish in the standings.”

With the women’s game in the Philippines not as developed as it is in other Asian countries, what would World Cup qualification mean for the sport on a local level?

QQ: “It would be crazy! A first ever World Cup qualification would really help the growth and development of the sport locally in the Philippines. Right now we have some support, but not to the extent where we can create local leagues for little girls to play in or to have professional league like we do in the (United) States and Japan.”

SB: “I guess my hope is that by qualifying for the World Cup we can get the financial backing to establish a professional league and get more girls playing at a higher level in the Philippines. From there we can get a lot more homegrown talent into the national team system as well as pulling talent from all over the world such as the US and Europe.”

We thank you both kindly for your input and wish you every bit of success at India 2022!

The Philippines start their campaign on 21 January against Thailand at DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai.

www.theasiangame.net/philippines-bolden-and-quezada-aiming-high-at-india-2022/

The players are feeling confident and seem to have high expectations for their team in the AFC Cup.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    “This team can achieve the dream” – Philippines boss Stajcic full of belief ahead of India 2022

After leading Australia to the last two AFC Women’s Asian Cup finals, Alen Stajcic believes he can take Philippines further than they’ve ever been at India 2022.

Having gone within one win of securing a first ever FIFA Women’s World Cup qualification when they finished fifth at the 2018 continental Finals in Jordan, the Southeast Asian nation appointed the former Matildas boss in October with the goal of reaching the global stage.

A top-five finish in next month’s Finals will turn their FIFA Women’s World Cup dream into reality, and Stajcic is firmly of the belief that his new team has the ability to make it so.

The 48-year-old, whose appointment as head coach was seen as a major boost, has been running the rule over his new charges at an extended pre-tournament preparation camp in California and has been encouraged by what he has seen.

“I’ve got a lot of hope and a lot of belief that we can actually achieve the goal,” he said during a media call.

“I’ve been to two (AFC Women’s) Asian Cups now and this will be my third. I know that, if we put our best foot forward, this team is capable of achieving that dream that we all talk about.”

Stajcic is well placed to judge the Philippines’ chances.

His two previous visits to the AFC Women’s Asian Cup came as Australia’s head coach, and he led them to the final on both occasions, losing to Japan 1-0 in Hanoi in 2014, before suffering the same fate in Amman four years later.

But while Australia have spent the majority of the last four years in the world’s top 10 sides – and reached as high as fourth during Stajcic’s tenure – his new team are a relatively lowly 64th, which itself is an improvement on their position ahead of the previous Finals in Jordan.

The biggest story on India 2022 draw day was Stajcic’s Philippines being drawn against the Australian side he parted ways with in 2019, and he is under no illusions regarding the task ahead of his new team.

“We have to improve everything,” declared Stajcic, who will also face Thailand and Indonesia in Group B.

“I remember the team at the last Asian Cup struggled to score against the big countries but was still very competitive overall for a first appearance in a long time. We definitely still have to improve in every facet.

“We have to improve our defence, we have to improve our attack, we have to improve our transitions and our game management, so we’re working very hard.

“One of the biggest challenges we’ve got is getting as fit as we can, because ultimately, like I keep saying to the group, It will be the fourth or fifth match in this tournament that will determine who goes to the World Cup, and it’s imperative that, when we get to the fourth or fifth match, we’re fit enough to give ourselves a chance to win that match.”

Reaching the fourth or fifth match in India will hinge on how well Stajcic’s side navigate their group.

The expanded 12-team format means the Philippines will be guaranteed to advance if they finish as one of the top two in Group B, while they could potentially also advance as one of the best third placed teams.

From there, a quarter final win would not only take them to the final four in the race for the Asian title but secure a place in the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, while a defeat at that stage would send them into a playoff system.

Stajcic - who was appointed after the team qualified for India 2022 with wins over Nepal and Hong Kong - knows matches four and five could be crucial, but he insists that no stone will be left unturned at any stage of the competition.

“We’ve analsyed every opponent, and obviously I know Australia intimately,” he said.

“I’ve played against Thailand so many times before and know that they’re a good quality opposition. They’ve been to the last two World Cups, so they need to be fully respected as a top-class opponent."

“Australia are obviously a top nation. They’re the host of the next World Cup. I think they’ve dropped down to rank 11, but we’ve just seen them draw against the USA two or three weeks ago, so obviously they’re in the top few countries in the world and, for me, probably the favourites for the tournament.

“Indonesia are a little bit more of an unknown. They’ve snuck through to their first Asian Cup, at least since I’ve been watching in the last 10 or 15 years, but you have to respect everyone who has reached this level. Everyone has had to do it in a hard way, especially during Covid.

“Certainly, we go into the tournament with a lot of hope and belief, but we respect everyone, regardless of their standing going in.”

The Philippines begin their India 2022 campaign against regional rivals Thailand in Navi Mumbai on January 21, and Stajcic will come face to face with Australia in a Mumbai blockbuster three days later, before they conclude their Group B campaign against Indonesia in Pune on January 27.

www.the-afc.com/en/national/afc_womens_asian_cup/news/%E2%80%9Cthis_team_can_achieve_the_dream%E2%80%9D_%E2%80%93_philippines_boss_stajcic_full_of_belief_ahead_of_india_2022.html

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #39 Pelefan, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Here you go:

Philippines

Jersey Number Name Position NT Caps NT Goals Club Name/Club Country

1 Inna Palacios GK 47 99 Kaya FC-IIoilo, Philippines
    2 Malea Louise Cesar MF 0 0 Sunset High School, United States
    3 Dominique Randle DF 0 0 University of South Carolina, United States
    4 Tara Shelton DF 6 0 De La Salle University, Philippines
    5 Hali Long DF 41 11 Kaya FC-IIoilo, Philippines
    6 Tahnai Annis MF 6 2 University of Florida, United States
    7 Camille Rodriguez MF 31 8 Kaya FC-IIoilo, Philippines
    8 Chandler Mcdaniel FW 2 1 University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, United States
    9 Jessica Miclat MF 6 0 Aris Limmasol, Cyprus
    10 Kristen Ryley Bugay DF 6 0 Marquette University, Unites States
    11 Anicka Castaneda MF 11 2 De La Salle University, Philippines
    12 Sara Castaneda MF 40 10 De La Salle University, Philippines
    13 Morgan Brown DF 4 0 Santa Clara University, United States
    14 Isabella Flanigan DF 0 0 Montverde Academy, United States
    15 Carleigh Frilles FW 0 0 Coastal Carolina University, United States
    16 Sofia Harrison DF 3 0 Slippery Rock University, United States
    17 Keanne Alamo MF 0 0 Oral Roberts University, United States
    18 Sarina Bolden FW 8 4 Chifure AS Elfen, Japan
    19 Eva Madarang FW 17 7 CD Pozoalbense, Spain
    20 Quinley Quezada MF 18 9 JEF United Ichihara CHiba Ladies, Japan
    21 Katrina Guillou DF 0 0 Pitea IF, Sweden
    22 Kiara Fontanilla GK 0 0 Eastern Oregon University, United States
    23 Olivia Mcdaniel GK 1 0 University of Wisconsin, Milwakee, United States

Some of the Asian Cup teams have had players who tested positive for COVID so they have been placed in isolation(2 Indian and 3 S Korean players) in India or not allowed to travel to the tournament (9 Vietnam players) and stuck in Spain where there were training.

So far no player from the Philippines which flew to India directly from the US has tested positive yet.

Matches between teams will proceed as long as 13 players are available to represent each team per regulation.

All the teams will be isolated from each other and no spectators will be allowed in the stadiums.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Philippines parades a well-prepared and one of its strongest ever national teams after pitching camp in the United States starting November.

Two of the goal scorers from the Asian Cup qualifiers last September banner the lineup. These are skipper Tahnai Annis, who has seen action in the UEFA Women’s Champion’s League for the Icelandic club Þór/KA, and Chandler McDaniel, who played US NCAA Division I football for the Milwaukee Panthers.

Three of the PWNFT’s most prolific offensive weapons are back. Eva Madarang of the CD Pozoalbense in Spain’s Segunda División Pro and Japan WE League’s Sarina Bolden of Chifure AS Elfen Saitama and Quinley Quezada of the JEF United Chiba make their reappearance after their last stint in the 2019 SEA Games where all of them scored for the Philippines.

Control of the midfield will be crucial to the team’s buildup to launch its counterattack. Veterans Cam Rodriguez and Sara Castañeda along with another returnee, Jessica Miclat of the Aris Limassol in Cyprus, will be providing stability and leadership in the midfield.

Manning the backline to support the ladies between the sticks – goalkeepers Inna Palacios, Olivia McDaniel, and newcomer Kiara Fontanilla – are co-captain and longtime national team member Hali Long, Sofia Harrison of Coppermine United in the United Women’s Soccer League in the US, former Marquette University Golden Eagle Ryley Bugay, and former Santa Clara Bronco Morgan Brown.

Two new faces are expected to make an immediate impact.

These are Katrina Guillou who plays for Piteå IFn in the Damallsvenskan, Sweden’s top division women’s league, and Dominique Randle, a former All Pac-12 3rd team selection for the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Rounding out the squad are DLSU’s Anicka Castañeda and Tara Shelton, plus promising teens Malea Cesar, Carleigh Frilles, Keanne Alamo, and Isabella Flanigan.

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/midlife-halftime-pwnft-seek-history/229954

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Acc. to one of the players chosen Fontanilla, the tryouts for the national team in California was competitive and grueling.

"Even with a strong resume, Fontanilla found herself competing for roster spots against the top players of the Philippines. After traveling to California for training on Tuesday, Nov. 9, Fontanilla joined roughly 100 other players seeking a spot on the national team. The ensuing two months of training consisted of gradual roster cuts that left the players constantly on edge. After the roster was trimmed down to about 30 players, Fontanilla found out from her coaches on Jan. 4 that she would be a part of the team traveling to India.

“I was super excited,” Fontanilla said. “It was super nerve-wracking because I knew there was only going to be three goalkeepers that could go, but there were six of us at that point.”

"Fontanilla noted that seeing players get cut after months of training together and building bonds was a difficult process."

Learning curve
    With experience in Division I soccer and a successful Eastern Oregon program, Fontanilla is used to playing in high-intensity environments. However, the step up to international level training was a significant adjustment for the goalkeeper in her first stint with the national team.

“It was definitely a big jump from EOU to here,” Fontanilla said. “EOU is high level and the training is really intense, but the training (for the national team) definitely was super high intensity.”

Fontanilla noted that her coaches with the Philippines National Team focused on a change of pace when it came to working on her goalkeeping skills ahead of the Women’s Asian Cup.

“It’s really hyper focused on technique. It’s not about quantity, it’s all about quality,” she said. “For me, that was a big change from how I’ve trained growing up. Being able to really focus on that has helped me as a player.”

Fontanilla stated that the change from going as fast as she could in drills to slowing down and focusing on accuracy was an adjustment. She said that it took several weeks to acclimate to the new coaching style, but that she feels she has improved noticeably as a player.

At the conclusion of training, the Philippines Women’s National Team flew to India on Jan. 12. In an unfortunate turn of events, Fontanilla tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after receiving word that she was selected for the team. Despite concern that she would be unable to compete, Fontanilla was scheduled to fly out and join the team on Jan. 18.

“It’s definitely a process,” Fontanilla said of facing yet another obstacle in her soccer career. “If I can’t go, I can’t go. It’s God’s plan. Thankfully all the coaches and trainers have been checking in on me and making sure I’m alright. I feel fine.”

https://www.lagrandeobserver.com/sp...cle_87ac22a8-7593-11ec-b213-77eb2623a242.html

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #42 Pelefan, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    FT Philippines 1-0 Thailand

81' McDaniel

They just need to defeat or possibly tie Indonesia to advance out of their group where I think they have a good chance of being the 5 teams that goes to the WC.

Thailand made it to the Women's FIFA WC the last 2 times it was held so it is a pretty good accomplishment for the Philippines.

blissett and ytrs repped this.
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The game between the Philippines and Australia on Monday will be interesting because of the way the Philippines coach Alen Stadjic was controversially let go by Australia back in 2019. It adds a lot of intrigue and drama to the game beyond just being an ordinary Asian Women's Cup group game particularly for those folllowing the game in Australia.

"There’s an elephant in the room but the Matildas are trying to ignore it. On Monday night, the players will come face to face with their former coach Alen Stajcic, who was controversially sacked for reasons still shrouded in secrecy."

“Regardless of the coaching staff, we are going to treat it like just another game,” she said. “We want to win the tournament so we are definitely attacking the Philippines game with the same attitude to get the result we need.”

Very ominous response considering they just demolished Indonesia 18-0.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...-to-progress-on-the-line-20220122-p59qe1.html

The Philippine team is also very much aware of the drama and interest behind the scenes.

“I think it’s pretty much business as usual going in" acc to Filipina player Katrina Guillou.

“Like now we know where we need to just further our chances in the tournament and we can’t really think past anything right now. Of course for (Stajic) and I’m sure for everyone, if we can snag a result that’s the best-case scenario but we know it’s not gonna be an easy match whatsoever,” she stressed.

ytrs repped this.
  19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    This is a college thread--not a national team thread. You should put all of this on the international board--which I think you do anyway. We don't need national team results or other information on a college board.

2233soccer repped this.
  20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #45 Pelefan, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Most of the players on the Philippine national team are US NCAA players or graduates so I am sure that there are a lot of college observers here that might be interested in how they do in the Asian Women's Cup and potentially FIFA Women's World Cup if they qualify.

The Philippines will also continue to recruit from the US NCAA ranks moving forward so this thread serves to inform potential candidates interested on joining the Philippine national team on the team's plans and accomplishments.

I will however try to limit my posts to immediate results and college players related info when I can on this thread.

ytrs repped this.
  21. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn’t belong in the college thread.

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #47 Pelefan, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    ytrs and blissett repped this.
  23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It's fine that you're a longtime member--but it's not relevant to the point at hand, which is that you keep posting Philippine NT info in the college soccer thread. You post the same information--and so very much of it--on the international page already, where it belongs. Just because a NT member went to college doesn't mean you should post material that is largely NT-related on a college board.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #49 Pelefan, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    As I said I will only post news moving forward that is college related including results in tournaments to help inform potential college national team candidates of how the team is doing particularly since the Philippines have a pretty good chance of making the FIFA Women's World Cup which is every footballer's dream.

For example I posted above the rookie goalie Fontanilla's description of the differences in training between her college experiences and that at the national team training camp and how the latter has improved her game tremendously. I never posted that article on the other thread because I felt it is more relevant to a college forum.

This has paid dividends when the Philippines played a world class team like Australia in her very first cap the other day where he was praised by her opponents for playing an excellent game.

It is interesting that an all amateur line of Philippine defenders (goalie and centerbacks in particular) which were manned by current NCAA college players and graduates was able to keep at bay for 52' an all professional Aussie squad of forwards some(particularly FA WSL Golden Boot awardee Sam Kerr) of whom are considered among the best in the world.

ytrs repped this.
  25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

You're still writing (endlessly) about the Philippine national team. Just because some members of the NT went to college in the U.S. does not make a NT post work on a college page. This is a site about ///college teams///. It's not about national teams. Do you see any other posts on this page about national teams? No, you don't. Please post your constant stream of Philippine NT information on the international page, under Philippine national team.

2233soccer repped this.