Philadelphia Union - 2019 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Seems like a weird way to burn money after already adding Wooten. I know they’re not in the same class, but they have to feel like striker has been addressed.

Phillyspur repped this.
  2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #152 PhillyMLS, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    I do as well. I'm not sold on Wooten yet but I usually think a player needs at least 6 months to settle in MLS. We honestly will need to address the D-mid (assuming Haris is gone after this year) situation and see if Monteiro wants to stay. Those should be our two big money spots if we are going to go with 3 DP's. Of course that assumes we can buy Bedoya down with TAM and there isn't wholesale changes to the salary budget coming with the new CBA.

The Sturridge signing would be more along the lines of making a splash that would bring legitimate eyeballs to the Union. Fabian is known to a certain crowd but Sturridge is known to a much wider soccer audience. I don't think he would be worth it (I'd go with Balotelli if I'm looking for a well known free agent striker) but I can see how it would be looked at on the commercial side of things as being a reasonable thing to look into.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...tion-help-philadelphia-hit-another-level-2019
    This article had an interesting, and encouraging, quote from Tanner:

“We still have our flaws without any question,” he said. “You can’t really do a lot in summer, so our main transfer period is winter. But in that system you aren’t that flexible that you can change everything in one transfer window. We just need to continue our work in the next transfer window and hopefully we’re going to have an even better team next season.”

cwelch999 repped this.
  4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...cue the players' strike in 2020.

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  8. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good test to see how much our Club infrastructure has improved. We've had a lot of guys hit the year 2 slump. I'm anxious to see if we've gotten to the point where we can develop past that.

cwelch999 repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    curious about Kacper maybe having a Euro-return and maybe some value on the transfer market... makes sense to option him and retain his rights if that is in his future.

10. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traded or transferred? I can't see the Union trading Kacper unless it was for a proven star with a high salary or about $800k in GAM/TAM, but they might get a nice transfer fee to send him to Europe. But, unless the transfer fee is very large ($1M+), having him at such a relatively low salary next season could be very beneficial and permit the team to spend more on other positions.

DaMunk, cwelch999, aztec21bas and 2 others repped this.
  12. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As long as they take care of the midfield he'll do fine. I think he's the kind of player that thrives with support but there's also no way he's going to create for himself like a truly elite striker (ie, the other guys at the top of the scoring chart).

13. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Agree, in this case they A) decided to get a guy who can put the ball in the net...the next task was B) making sure there are guys to get him the ball in the right circumstances.

In the past they skipped step A and that kinda rendered part B moot

14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There are a couple guys who would have thrived with this midfield (Jack, Ruiz, maybe Aristeguieta) but after 4 years of CJ it just feels like a big pile of meh. Good on CJ for hitting double digits with Chicago, though.

15. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club: