Philadelphia Kixx--Back To The Future

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by SoccerMavn, Sep 25, 2002.

1. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season the Kixx won the MISL crown. Of course, they also had their worst average attendance ever.

At the time, I wrote a long post about how the Kixx had ignored the lessons taught by the Atoms and the Fever before them: Philadelphia soccer fans like winning, but like watching local boys on the field more. The Kixx of the mid 90s had great attendances, as the likes of Joey Murtaugh and Matt Knowles were on the field, boys from local high schools. Over the years, these guys were jettisoned, and (ostensibly) better players brought in. Well, the Kixx got their title, but lost their soul. And the fans let them know it.

I find two recent acquisitons to be really interesting, however. First, Glenn Carbonara, former Rutgers star and Vineland NJ native, was acquired. And I just read today Matt Knowles was re-acquired. What's next? The return of Peter Vermes (Delran, NJ)?

It seems that someone at the Kixx may have read my earlier posts and acted on them. Or it maybe just a coincidence. Whatever. I'm just looking forward to watching the crowds return to Kixx games.

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's because they didn't have to play the Sockers or the Sidekicks. They're certainly going down this season to the great San Diego Sockers. :D

3. The Wave will dominate.

4. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wrong.

Once the Sockers get used to the rules they will win the championship. No team has more MISL championships than the San Diego Sockers. This season they will add one more.

5. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The End Is Nigh

For their home opener, which included a series of championship ceremonies, the Kixx drew....

To quote from the MLS attendance threads, "pathetic."

6. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Sockers attendance last night was 3,658. San Diego is a traditional strong area for indoor soccer, so perhaps Philadelphia's attendance isn't so bad after all.

7. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traditional area maybe, but aren't the Sockers a "new" team? Or did they play in the 2001 WISL?

Actually, crowds like that are terrible for any of the teams left in the league, all pretty well-established and/or with long histories of indoor soccer at this point.

8. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah the Sockers folded for 5 years or so, and restarted for the 2001 WISL season, and lost to the Sidekicks in the championship.

9. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I went to the Kixx game tonight. If there was 1,500 people there I'd be shocked...I don't remember the turnout for Fever games being this low, even in their last seasons.

And this was with "special guest" Donovan McNab.

Pathetic.

Too bad really...the quality of play this year is the best I've seen in years.