Philadelphia Expansion Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Looper121, Oct 9, 2004.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    If Philly does get a team, how about merging with FC Delco and naming the whole thing SC Delco Philadelphia?? Would certainly be unique...have the team play games downtown but with training facilities out in the burbs and the youth system based there to keep the club true to its name.

2. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Hey guys. Before you finish slaying Thigpig, let me offer that, as much as I want to watch football in Philly and would be all over every game there...I suggest we forget Philly. The reason is that we all would be constantly angry and upset over the way the MLS and football would be (are) ignored in the Philly press. When these people quit ignoring football, it is only to ridicule it. This is the city where the morning newspaper, on the news cycle in which the U.S. team beat Portugal, did the following: 1) published on the sports cover a long story about how immigrants in Olney are watching the World Cup in a bar there (you expected to see photos of the buggy carts behind the bar). 2) devoted 4 inches of type at the bottom of page 7 to the U.S. victory over Portugal. At least the newspapers don't pull this sort of crap in Toronto.

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    You're conveniently forgetting that of the relatively few Knight Ridder journalists sent to the '02 Cup, Mike Jensen of the Inquirer was one of them. There cannot be any doubt that he would be the Philly MLS beat writer and he would be one of the best.

4. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    The Inquirer didn't send anyone until after the tournament started and there was real fear that the team would go further.

5. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I will concede that, but I blame it fully on Knight Ridder's penny-pinching. It is absurdly expensive to fly people to Asia and have them stay there for a month, much less shuttle between two nations in the process. Even though the Washington Post had four writers covering the tournament, two were Post foreign bureau reporters and were thus not based out of D.C.

If Mike isn't in Germany for the whole tournament I will be stunned.

6. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they cover both indoor and outdoor lacrosse, not to mention the kixx, so I would have to think that they would cover the phalanx as well.
    and it's called soccer here, not football.

7. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands

You've mis-read or mis-interpreted what I said. Nothing in my post was about a stadium...it was about the auxillary facilities a team would need and SHARE with a youth club and/or league. The idea of public financing for this project would be akin to creating a new park with basketball courts, baseball diamind, swing, etc - except a facility strictly for soccer. Many townships in the 'burbs and over in Jersey have them. If you re-read the post, I also suggest the I/O put up the money for the structure housing the locker rooms/offices.

Believe me, I'm not interested in subsidizing a really wealthy man's business either. Let them build their own clubhouses. The Vet sucked, but at least the city collected rent from the Phils and Birds (though one could argue it was the city's ownership/management that let it get f'ed up in the first place).

As far as the city collecting on the back end, we'll see in 10-15 years how that idea works out when the tax abatement for all the redevelopers in CC is over and they finally start filling the city's coffers with property taxes. [​IMG]

8. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Look at the morning newspaper tomorrow (Thursday). As of Wednesday evening the plan was to use one or two sentences on the U.S. team's qualifier in the Briefs. Imagine....if that is all the newspaper thinks of the national team....what ways would it find to embarass a local MLS team in a way that would make marginal fans stay away?

9. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I submit that if we had an mls team here, the tone would be very different. The kixx coverage isn't embarassing; I find it to be pretty even-handed. it's all speculation of course.
    garber recently issued the latest list of expansion candidates, and we are on it again. we'll see how that pans out.

10. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    If the game started, much less ended, before the story deadline for the edition of the paper that you receive in Bucks County, there would almost surely be something in there. And before you ask, I've taken classes from Inquirer writers and that's how I found out when the deadline is.

And the deadline is the same for most stories at most major papers you will come across in this country. That the Washington Post and New York Times have stories on the Panama game with quotes should be considered the exception much more than the rule.

11. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we continue to be on this list, there has to be someone workin' it, Lurie or whoever the hell it is...

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS just seems to reeeeeally want to get into the Philly market. They know how much we love sports in this town. I'm going to a sold-out Phantoms game tonight...minor league hockey sold out. What would soccer do? Maybe there is no current potential investor at all, but MLS keeps throwing out the hook in the hopes that someone will bite at some point.

13. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Not necessarily. I think it's just wishful thinking by MLS and almost a necessity for them to keep floating it as a possibility. How can a league be "Major League" without at least trying to have a time in such a large, sports-crazed town.

14. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if they are touting the ghost investor in Phila, then why would any other investors(investor groups) step up assuming that someone has already taken the lead? That just sounds crazy. Bottom line is that it has to be almost definitley Lurie, becasue there is nowhere else to play immediatley, so therefore anyone that was interested would have to go through the Eagles organization, which I doubt is an easy task...and by the looks of it Lurie doesn't seem too interested, becasue the buy-in fee of 10 Mil, or whatever it is, is a drop in the hat to these guys. Looks to be a long wait...maybe I'm wrong.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] philasc.com

Funny thing is that this crest, with its aesthetic simplicity, shames some of the goofy-looking crest designs in MLS.

If we ever get an MLS club here in Philly, I would be all for the simple name Philadelphia Soccer Club (PSC).

16. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this trumps:
    Crew
    Galaxy
    Rapids
    Wiz
    Revs
    SJ

Good that's half, I'll stop there.

17. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better than "Atoms" too...but that's just my opinion.

My question is, everytime someone brings up expansion names, SOMEONE always just plugs "FC" or "SC" next to the city and says "now THAT is a great name..." -- I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that...we don't have to always follow the european tradition on this. FC/SC is fine -- but I think for marketing reasons it helps to have a solid mascot or team name.

I'm not opposed to having mascot team names as long as the name (1) Makes sense and (2) has a connection to the city/area or (3) isn't a weather condition, state of mind or political ideal

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you get the memo? Mascots are gay.

19. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, homosexual mascots WOULD be difficult to market in the red states, but Philadelphia is part of a very blue state...so we'll be ok. And I thought we were on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with mascots?

When I said "mascots", I wasn't talking about "Phillie Fanatic" or "San Diego Chicken" mascots...I'm talking about "Wolverines" or "Spartans" or "Fighting Blue Hens" -- not the literal cartoon character brought to life in a giant suit on the field, but a team name. So strike "mascot" from the record, if it's too confusing, and insert "team name".

And if mascots are homosexual, why does nearly every single sports team in the country have one? Not that I'm pro-mascot...but I just thought I would point that out.

20. TheDuffer

TheDuffer New Member

May 1, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    why not a name relating to the blue colar work ethic of Philly. I mean look at the two new stadiums. Both the Linc and Citizen's Bank Park have a real factory/ iron rafters, cement mentality. Being a Philly fan it is more than easy to see this as im walking through FDR on a cold winter moring to see the birds. This being said i have a few ideas.

Philadelphia Athletic Club (I like this one because the Athletics used to be a real succesful team in philly in the early 19somethings)
    Philadelphia Union (just like the ring to this one, i think it had a little of that euro-trash feel, but its more 'americanized')

and finally
    Philadelphia Steel Eagles (this one i stole from when the birds and the steelers combined during WWII. It had a great ring to it and it relates to football, both american and european. It had a macot ring to it and it doesnt sound queer and, best of all, their nickname could be the steagles.

21. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you could have both the Eagles and the Steel Eagles in the same city. And the steel part, regardless of Bethlehem, makes me think more of Pittsburgh. I still think it's a cool name, though.

22. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think so? I think they are posh playgrounds paid for with my tax dollars. Just because they have exposed structure doesn't make them feel like a factory with steel (not iron) rafters or concrete (not cement.) I don't even know how a stadium has a mentality at all, so please explain what you mean by this, and keep in mind that I am an architect.

Real historical insight you've given us there.
    They were the Philadelphia Athletics baseball team, currently the Oakland Athletics. They won 9 pennants and 5 world series championships while they were in Philadelphia. They were here from 1901 -1954. For 50 of those years (1901 - 1950) they had the same manager, Connie Mack, who held that post for so long because he was also the principal owner. For more, actual historical information on the most successful sports team ever to call Philadelphia home, visit the Philadelphia Athletics Historical Society.
    It is totally eurotrash. In what way do you think it is Americanized?

[/QUOTE]Philadelphia Steel Eagles (this one i stole from when the birds and the steelers combined during WWII. It had a great ring to it and it relates to football, both american and european. It had a macot ring to it and it doesnt sound queer and, best of all, their nickname could be the steagles.[/QUOTE]
    First, what is a "macot ring"?
    Second, how does the name relate to "european football", or what we in the United States of America call soccer?
    They were actually called the Steagles, and only lasted one year.
    If you insist on using historical references in naming the team, please at least get those references right. Do your homework, it's not that hard.

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "PSC," ala PSV, has a nice ring to it :)

"Philadelphia Union" isn't too shabby either.

24. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    I love this name, BUT it infringes on TWO NFL trademarked names! e.g. there the is no way it will ever happen, at least not in Penn.

25. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf does this mean?

yes it is.