Philadelphia Expansion Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Looper121, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new lately(?), and was just trying to get this rekindled. Today SLC team and colors are being introduced, which make me think about what people here would be saying if an MLS franchise showed up in our backyard...

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    The info I ahve says 2007 at the earliest for mls here.

3. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2007 or not, let's talk about potential nicknames again.

Putting aside the question of whether Checketts went too far by going the Real route (and, personally, I think he did, although "Real" in the U.S. is not entirely new; the WSL had Real Santa Barbara in the late 1980s), his first point is an important one: why re-invent the wheel when a name exists which automatically brands your new team as a soccer franchise?

Which is why I have always said that Atoms must be the nickname for any MLS franchise. Love it or hate it, it is the one name which still means soccer in Philadelphia.

Again, this is kind of an academic point, since we're years away from a team. But, since Looper wanted to kickstart the expansion thread, I thought I'd give everyone something to yell about.

4. astrobull21

astrobull21 New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    New Port Richey, FL
    I have actually come up with a name for the Philadelphia MLS team (when it starts up)....introducing the Club Seventeen Seventy-Six or Club Liberty

5. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Things look so bleak, I would kill for a 2007 start. What do you base that on?

Do things speed up if Temple scales back football?

6. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to beat this drum again:
    NO regressive team names (regressive meaning resurrecting team names from the past, such as Atoms.) No '76/Liberty stuff; those things, while historically important and tied to the identity of the city, are not contemporary or forward-looking. Plus the image of the Liberty Bell would inevitably rear its head, and we all forget that that damned bell is broken! What kind of an image is that, a bell that can't ring?!?!
    Philadelphia Phalanx is my vote. It is alliterative, it has that cool x at the end, and it refers to ancient Greek armies that formed an invincible formation with their shields and spears. Very cool image for a sports team, and great graphic logo potential. And the boosters club could dress in togas!

7. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you have 1 post here on BS, did you name Salt Lake City too :D jk

Anyway, I can't see the Philly team (yes, I talk as if it has happened) being called the Atoms for th reasons that have been mentioned.

I was watching some games this weekend, and I hate it when teh NFL stripes are there, drives me crazy...what the frick, back to square-1 I guess...

8. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on Temples start this year, they might as well throw in thetowel...:rolleyes:

9. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

No regressive nicknames? Someone should tell the Cleveland Browns. And Ottawa Senators. And the new MLB team in Washington which will likely be called Senators.

Regressive or no, Atoms gives Philadelphia the type of "soccer brand" recognition that Checketts was striving for, without resorting to blatant Europosing. Would you prefer Philadelphia City? AFC Philadelphia? Lurie's Old Bhoys?

How about Philadelphia Celtic? Actually, there was an ASL team by that name in 1928 or so...

10. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia Federation (SC)... the Feds.

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a thought. Why do we need a nickname? The best nicknames come about over time after the club has been in existence for a while. So my vote goes for Piladelphia SC(Soccer Club).

12. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????What??????
    I can only think of one example, and that is the New York Yankees, who were first called the Highlanders when they moved to ny from Baltimore. The Yankees name was first an informal nickname but became official in the 19-teens.
    What other example can you give of this?

13. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, there are probably a dozen examples of this. Most (if not all) involve baseball teams.

You've already mentioned the Yankees. Another example was the Brooklyn club: in 1894 they were the Bridegrooms, so named because a bunch of players got married at the same time. They later were dubbed the Superbas. Dodgers finally took hold. The Pirates were so dubbed by the press after the Pittsburgh club raided other teams' players. The New York team was called Gothams until, at one point, they had a team of all six-footers (a rarity at the time), and the writers started calling them "Giants."

A converse example would be the Philadelphia NL team trying to change its name to Blue Jays in the 40s, even putting a blue jay patch on the shoulder. But the fans and press never bought it, so the team stayed as Phillies.

This "tradition" arose because the early baseball teams were just called by their city. If anything, they'd be referred to as "Nationals" (if they were NL) or "Americans" (if American Association) or "Unions" (if in the Union League). Nicknames evolved--usually based on very local influences. Cleveland's AL team was unofficially Spiders until writers decided to honor their best player, a Native Americans, by calling the team "Indians."

While Spartak's idea is not a bad one, the reality of today's sports (i.e., the need for licensing revenues) requires a nickname.

14. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks...

What about the Philadelphia Phantasmagorics...very catchy. We can be the team with the most syllables in an MLS team name...

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    What are we starting here, a soccer team or a Delaware Ave. strip joint??

17. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what's up with that big lot behind Drexel (across the street from teh Boy's Choir)that is only a block away from Spring garden? It is bordering 30th Street station's rail yard. Obviously nothing would ever happen there but I was just curious as to what the deal was with it when I was driving by the other day...

18. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    I'm pretty sure Drexel owns the lot. When I lived across Powelton Ave in '97-'99 it started as an empty, overgrown lot that they then cleared and used as a parking lot for the contractors building the new dorms.

I've looked at it longingly myself. It's just about perfect size for a full pitch.

19. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh it definitely could hold a field. although I know there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that it will be anything other than an old lot that will collect litter over time...

20. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Who knows, the turf field next to the Armory on 33rd St. used to be a garage.

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a full size pitch is it? I thought it was just used for field hockey...never really looked at it that closely...

22. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia

Spring Garden? Maybe that's too far north for what I'm thinking but much of the land just south and east of Drexel/30th Street got bought by Penn for development into new stuff.

23. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    No, it's just about 60x30 if you disregard the lines as we do (or did) during the summers for pick up games. Without the lines the boundaries were the cement and the fence - made for some interesting plays sometimes. but I think the summer pick ups are over now. Drexel has built a fence around the whole 'block' and thr only way through is a turnstyle which is activated by an Drexel ID. It's a shame 'cause people from all over the area used come and play. Local college players used to come and test themselves against the 'streetball' players - many great nights were spent there.

Too bad Drexel wants to keep it for themselves now.

24. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn has purchased more land? Get out.

Anyway, yes it is north of Market St., it really isn't desirable land (parking garage written all over it). I was just curious.

25. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    They did this one a while ago.

Is Drexel still planning to renovate the Armory for basketball games? I actually kind of like the DAC, it's sort of a minature Palestra.