PHI vs WAS May 30

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by kool-aide, May 25, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone planning on going down to the game? This game is “Freedom Military Appreciation Night presented by Lockheed Martin.”

If you know someone in the military that might be in the DC/Maryland area this weekend, let them know about the opportunity for discounted tickets to the game.

Fans of WPS teams can not just sit on the sidelines. If we want the league to survive we must actively show our support.

As for the game, Lindsey looked good vs Germany. But so did Abby. Should be a very interesting & exciting match up.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I would love to go to this game but can't see myself driving 2.5 hours back and forth on a sunday evening when I can stay home and watch on my new HDTV.

As for the game itself, its going to be tough for Philly as WSH would like revenge. I'm hoping a good rivalry can build between these 2 teams.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday is a day off/holiday for many. Makes taking a trip a tad easier. But I see your point. I'm not driving the 6 hrs one way so I totally understand. Do you know anyone in the DC Metro area? Perhaps you could send them an email to let them know about the game & possible ticket discounts :D

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ah, I forgot that monday was a holiday. I may think about driving down then if there's nothing else to do, but I doubt it. I just got to widescreen TV and I really want to test it out :D. I'm a Philly ticket holder and their next home game (vs. SBFC ), I'm getting a bunch of my friends so we can tail-gate.

As for knowing people in the DC metro area, I know a few but they are not folks I can convince to go to the game by themselves. Maybe if I was there then we could go together.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC needs viewers for WPS games, too. Gotta support a major WPS partner. :D

I totally understand about the friends who wouldn't go on their own. I emailed the one person I know in ATL about their ticket promotion this week (steep discount for teachers for this Sat.'s game) but I doubt they'll end up going. We do what we can.

6. papyrus

papyrus New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    NYC
    Watched this one on FSC, and it was a very entertaining game. Could not completely see that Seger hit Huffman, but looked liked hand to face shoving (?)* contact, and did see her 'WTF' to ref Ted Uncle, so I suppose she deserved the red card. Did not seem like Huffman was driving her to brink of insanity, so am not clear why Seger was SO upset, but these things are often not clear to outside observers.

*Was it so abusive that Abby needed to have that word with her (Seger)?

Thought Bompastor's bandage was very spirit of '76 - good fit for this holiday weekend.

btw, why are there only 7 Philly fans here?? You're even worse than Sky Blue posters!

7. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it did look like a face shove, but the way huffman went down and since she was crying when she got up suggests it was a good swat to the nose.

abby is very protective of her um ... teammates.

8. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought. All she needed was a fife or drum.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pretty egregious (and stupid) foul by Seger. It wasn't a swinging elbow but any two hand shove to the face is a completely warranted the red & a further suspension regardless of force of impact. In fact, if she does not get at least an additional suspension then there is some major favoritism going on at league HQ. You just can't do that and not expect major consequences.

10. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    What I saw: Huffman was dribbling away from Seger. Seger fouled her and won the ball. No call. Huffman grabed Seger's short trying to win the ball back. No call. Seger was falling down from being fouled so her face was at the level of Seger's waist/ chest. Seger pushed out without really raising her arms high to try to rid of Huffman and got her face. Straight red is deserved but I don't know if it requires any more sanction.

11. McDude

McDude New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Agree that it was a stupid foul but it wasn't a two hand shove to face (review of replay shows just the right hand to the face) and it also looked like a lot of shoving going on by both players as they both fought each other very hard for the ball. That does not justify any hand to any face but don't think it warrants anything more than the red card already given.

12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seger got sent off for OFFINABUS, not SFP for the shove.

Seger was sent off not for the shove [at best, unsporting behavior, a cautionable offense], but for saying WTF to the CR [OFFensive INsulting ABUSive language or gestures directed at match official]

13. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. FSC definitely captured Segers' "discussion" with the referee for all to see! There is no doubt as to what she said.

14. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Wow, WPS just announced a two game suspension for Seger for this foul. Philly team, Seger and the fan base just got screwed by the league. Total over-reaction by the league and not sure what they are thinking when doing this.

Do you really want to take one of the top players on the Philly team off the field for a month (2 games suspension and then gone for swedish national team play after that). How fan friendly is that?

What in the world is the league thinking and why??

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally warranted suspension. 1 game is automatic for any red card. And the two arms extended, hand to the face shove is well beyond acceptable. It was stupid, childish and would have gotten a suspension in international play, too. If you want to be mad at someone for Seger missing two games, be mad at Seger. She brought it on herself. No one "screwed" Philly. Any time missed for national team callups is not at all relevant to poor on field behavior.

This suspension is also well within the precedent of the league's disciplinary committee. Hell, they suspended a player for a play that wasn't even deemed yellow card worthy in a game earlier this season.

16. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hoov, as a matter of principle, pro leagues have a disciplinary committee to review every disciplinary action. Not every send-off is the same, hence a review is required, ideally to have a better perspective. As a matter of principle, pro leagues also have an appeals process, by which Seger or presumably PHL can avail of.

I just learned Seger got sent off for Violent Conduct. Pretty harsh for that shove, but the CR consulted with the AR, who presumably had a better angle. After the consultation, the CR sent off Seger for VC. Seger uttered WTF afterwards, for a national TV audience to see, the league had no option but to discipline her for egregious OFFINABUS.

IMNSHO, I would not have sent off Seger for VC, I don't recall the whistle before the shove to the face. Ideally, a caution for unsporting behavior, VC is a bit harsh. OFFINABUS, definite send-off. But presumably, OFFINABUS would not have happened had CR exercised restraint byt NOT sending her off for VC in the first place.

In layman's terms, the league judged that Seger committed two send-off offences, hence the 2-game suspension.

17. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I disagree on first issue, think standard one game suspension would have been more appropriate for Seger.

I agree with you though on the second situation, I don't think the other player should have been suspended either. I think the league over uses this review policy and should use it more sparingly.

I didn't agree with the WPS frequency of use on this policy last season either.

18. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Can any one grab a video clip of the incident and post it? I thought she head butted Huffman in addition to the shove. Regardless, I think the decision by the league is justifiable.

19. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    I don't think the second game was warranted. However, the game is on replay on CSN here in Philly as I speak, so maybe another look is in order.

20. HODOR

HODOR New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Well, you have the highlights. Around 3:30 - 4:00.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZz4I9Z0tM"]YouTube- 5/30/10 - Wambach helps Freedom defeat Independence, 2-1[/ame]

21. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks for posting the clip! Hard to tell. Announcer says bumped heads but I can't tell for sure. Definitely grabbing and shoving. But the way she went down looked liked she got more than a hand to the head.

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It's great that the league reviews the game.
    I just wish that they would review their referees and send Ted Unkel out for more training. He's a grade 3 referee who is worse than some local refs I've seen.

23. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Theoretically maybe so but not true by today's standards.

24. doctorlatte

doctorlatte New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games is too much, Freedom players were all over Seger for most of the game, and Huffman was dragging her down when she pushed her off.

You can be sure the "WTF!!" was because Seger had been putting up with it all night.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny. Philly is by far the chippy-est team in WPS (specializing in the little hits to the back & hits *just* as the ball is released) and most physical.