Phenoms on the U-17?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by aupsite's acht, Jun 29, 2005.

1. aupsite's acht

Jul 1, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a lot about Zimmermann, Kirk, Arvizu, Sarkodie, etc.

Are there any legitimate phenoms in this group? I don't think anyone predicts Adu-like expectations, but does anyone project out to be a big time player at the MLS, European or MNT level?

2. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Almost any of them. Only Rueckner in goal and Lichaj in CB are relatively ordinary.

Igwe and Alston are FBs we have never had (like Wynne, but MUUCH better technically). Then there are the kids you mention. Soroka is the coaching staff's fav (seemingly). Nakazawa is damn exciting as well - 2way with attacking flair - kinda Stevie G. mold but with quick dribbling ability in addition to the ball spraying, tackling back and shooting.

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought Lichaj was supposed to be excellent. It wasn't that long ago he was being called Spector 2. Then again Spector didn't play up to expectations in the U-20s although that migh tbe injury related.

4. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    Lichaj is a player! I think this group has a ton of talent from top to bottom. It's a shame they aren't getting the press past groups have gotten. The back line is probably the best we have had at the U17 level, and the two outside mids are outstanding (Kirk and Soroka). Several players on this team could make waves in the MLS in the near future.

5. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruekner is a very good keeper as well.

6. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    beutifulgame and leftshoes - you guys are RIGHT!

That's what makes this team so exciting - every bit as much so as the U20s.

7. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Phenoms? .........I think the US media are trying to place the phenom tag on some of our youth players far too early in their careers and are doing a dis-service to the players ,the game and the dictionary. In my opinion there have only been 3 phenoms in the past,one in the present and I can only see one under-age player worthy of the sobriquet,the 3 from the past are Pele,Maradona,,George Best,the present is Ronaldihno, the one for the future is the Argentinian kid Messi.

No disrespect to all the great U-17 players we have here in the U.S. but a phenoms is by it's very nature an extremely rare species.Every now and then one comes along to light up the way and we are very fortunate if we can see a couple in a generation.

8. jorywea

jorywea New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    daniel kelly from tennessee a great crosser and even better bicycle kick

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    blah blah blah blah blah
    blah

blah

boooooooooooooooooring

:rolleyes:

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Ryan Soroka is supposed to be great with his feet, crossing, and a great goal-scorer from midfield.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He's also the most capped U-17

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I would much rather they just play well and perform. Screw the press. They are kids, some will grow into quality players, most will not. So have them play, get better, hopefully compete, possibly win each game, and lets leave the press out except for game reports.

13. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Everyone knows I'm a Zimmerman fan. Of course I've seen him play more, and know his character and work rate better than most. Phenom...not sure. Great player and great finisher.....yes.

He's one of the few forwards I know of that has angled runs and runs off the ball down for a youngster. It's why he get's open and get's chances to score. He's not blazing fast, but he reads the game and makes great runs into space.

Those that have seen him around the goal understand why he's effective. It's not flash and dash, it's power and strength with a quick trigger and hard shot. It's the fact he can finish left or right footed.

Offensively Soroka, Zimmerman, Kirk are very good. I think Kirk will make then that much better at the WChampionships when they have him back.