Petr Cech injured last night?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bjorn Taroque, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Bjorn Taroque

Bjorn Taroque New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I noticed that FoxSoccer included a picture of Petr Cech's injury last night, and I was wondering if anybody knew if it was serious or night. I couldn't find any mention of it, so I assume it wasn't anything too bad, but I did notice that he left at half-time. Anybody know if it was serious or not?

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5510974&pageNumber=8

2. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not serious, Cudicini was only brought on as a precaution.

Unfortunately, Cech will probably be 100% fit come June

3. Bjorn Taroque

Bjorn Taroque New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Shucks...I thought the WC gods were starting to smile down upon us.

4. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    I saw the game and got my hopes up briefly (with a smattering of shame for feeling happy about an injury) but he did finish the 1st half and make a few tough saves besides, so I don't think it can be anything too serious. Add to that, Essien scored a nice goal in the second half. So no good news, really, for USA fans from that game.

5. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely forgot about the significance of that

My hope all along has been that he'll be suspended by the time we play Ghana, and the odds are pretty good. :p

6. ECRedSoxFan

ECRedSoxFan Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    LONDON, April 18 (Reuters) - Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is confident of being fit for the title run-in despite having 10 stitches in a leg injury.

The Czech international was injured in an accidental collision with team mate William Gallas during Monday's 3-0 win over Everton that left Jose Mourinho's side one point away from retaining their league title.

'I went for the ball and I felt the pain and at first I thought my leg was broken,' Cech was quoted as saying on Chelsea's official website on Tuesday.

'I had quite a big cut on my leg and I had 10 stitches. It was painful but there is nothing serious so it is good news for me. Everyone is positive about it and I think I will be ready for the next game.'

Mourinho told Chelsea TV: 'There are some holes in the knee and the leg, a lot of blood and it is quite scary but I believe the knee structure, that is the most important thing, is okay.'

Chelsea's manager must decide whether to select Cech for Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Liverpool or continue with his policy of playing Italian Carlo Cudicini in the knockout competition.

Chelsea's next league match is at home to title rivals Manchester United on April 29.

7. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    FWIW I thought it was pretty foolish of Mourinho to keep Cech in the game, even if it was only to finish the half. Seemed like a fool's risk, especially given that Chelsea have a quality backup in Cudicini. Not sure what the thinking was there--Cech was definitely limping around like it was a serious injury.

8. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    Note also that Baros has started scoring as well, and McBride hasn't.

I'm nervous. But I'm always a wreck before the World Cup. In 2002 I got up in the middle of the night and walked crosstown NYC to Nevada Smith's to watch the Portugal game, and the whole way I was saying, why the f--k am I bothering with this, we're gonna get killed.

Some sort of term for that--remembering the bad memories, instead of the good? B/C I always remember 1998 and always will....ouch.

9. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Perhaps he didn't want to throw a cold goalkeeper in if Cech was still able to play -- It gave Cudicini a chance to warm-up.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wishing an opponent injury?

Not sporting and baaaaad karma to boot.

11. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    they will come june 12th, in the meantime, buy a USA jersey, and make a shrine for it, and pray to all the religions out there, even to the satanists, and the either go to germany for the game, or watch it on tv, live, and all hell will break loose

12. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am not trying to sound like what we are doing is wrong, but do you think the other countries citizens (not their coaching staffs) in our group are following the progress of

mcbride, boca, job, reyna, gam, etc.

or is this just something we are doing, my question is do the other countries really know that much about us

13. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I want the USA to beat teams that bring their best. I don't want to hear any excuses from them, such as--if only we had so-and-so, we would have won.

14. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    People get injured, regardless. If it works to the benefit of my favorite team, I'm not gonna complain to the gods about it. Besides, more likely than not one or more of our guys will suffer a boo-boo before June. Try to be zen about it.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he scored around 10 days ago against Sunderland.

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech was substituted at half time of Monday’s English Premier League game against Everton, after colliding with team-mate William Gallas in the 33rd minute. Gallas accidentally kicked Cech under the knee, but the injury isn’t thought to be serious. According to the Czech international’s agent, Pavel Zika, Cech has a two-centimetre cut on his leg, but there’s no damage to the bone or to ligaments.

from czech press:

based on czech press the injury is not so seriously.

http://fotbal.idnes.cz/cech-myslel-...ranici.asp?c=A060418_173121_fot_zahranici_min

Cech will be fit..and he will play during world cup!

17. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just had a quick look at czech press. Czech press reported that Peter Cech first thought he had broken his leg. Of course it would have been catastrophe 2 months before the world cup. But Cech said that the injury is not that so seriously.

Cech is o.k.

bltleo
    Germany

18. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    If I recall correctly, that was his first goal in a long while, and furthermore, it wasn't official since the game was called due to the weather, so the goal isn't "official." Either way he's hit a dry spell.

19. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I thought the general trend was that people tend to remember good memories in greater detail than bad. On the other hand, (I think) there's evidence that people remember intense experiences more than bad ones, so that may explain 1998. The pre-game pessimism may also be a self-serving cognitive bias: if the team tanks, you're prepared for it; if the team does great, you're pleasantly surprised.

20. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    You've hit it. I almost always feel sick and nervous before big USMNT games. My wife refuses to hold my hand while we're watching because it's always cold and clammy. I think I actually get more nervous watching USMNT games than I do before playing in my own games -- maybe because I know I have some limited control over the outcome when I'm playing.

21. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go you one better: I didn't drink during any of the US games in the last WC because I was afraid what would happen to me if things went poorly + I was drunk. Not sure what that would have been, but lord it wouldn't have been good.

Then again, when I've been to WCQs (including Mexico), I'm always lit, and I'm sure that'll be true in Germany as well.