News: Petke & Henry have a Flare Up

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by GIO17, Aug 30, 2013.

1. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry probably called him out on his goonish tactics and wants a more creative strategy
    Petke probably called Henry out on him not taking practice serious enough or not tracking back on defense

Although I do criticize Henry from time to time but this time I hope Henry gave Petke an ass whooping.

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious problems happening internally or simply a practice argument that is forgotten the next day? :unsure:
    The stress of being winless in the last few games seems to be getting to the team.
    A star player that doesnt like to lose vs a first year coach who feels the need to prove himself. Bad recipe....

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'd have my money on Petke if they really went at it

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's being paid both to be creative and to be a leader, if he's not doing either one then he's useless

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's literally the only one on the field being creative, these are the numbers since Juninho left the team:

Henry: 6 Assists, 26 chances created
    Other 29 Players: 6 assists, 50 chances created

What's happening recently is that Henry has had to take on the entire midfield's attacking responsibilities, and Espindola is not the kind of striker who can make things happen on his own up top.

njzorrooo and Den1412 repped this.
  6. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens when you play with an immobile midfield who are all pretty much defensive minded players. The only player in the midfield who has the ability to set players up is Steele although the assists may not prove otherwise(and yes he's a better attacking player than Cahill)

GunningforMLS1993 repped this.
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Steele puts in a mean cross, if we had a target striker in the box I think he'd easily have half a dozen assists on the year so far.

8. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Pretty much spot on. I know Espindola and even Henry have not been as effective as we would expect from them (both still on 7 goals this season) but that midfield does not help.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you quantify a "chance created" and then assign it to a single player? seems to me that usually a chance requires teamwork of several players. are those your personal stats or are you drawing them from some database?

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I use the stats collected by OPTA, which are shown on the Chalkboards for each game on the MLS website. They have a stat called "Key Pass" which is any pass that leads to a shot taken by a teammate, that's what I mean when I say chances created. Like all stats its not an all-inclusive analysis, it doesn't reward the players who were involved in the prior build up and technically a small pass 40 yards from goal could be considered a key pass if the receiving player makes a brilliant individual effort, but it gives you a decent idea of which players are putting their teammates in positions to make a play.

I take down the stats from each chalkboard into my own database each week, any time you see me seemingly pulling numbers out of my ass that's where they actually come from :D

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Yo don't count the 40 or so opportunities at goal that he has missing and the freaking faces he made to his partner of play when they don't choice him for his passes..... no wonder they call him Mr Fraud.....