Petition to uncensor the word Pu To

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Perndog2006, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The word ******** is not homophobic

as a person who has lived the Mexican culture, I can tell you that the word ******** is not homophobic

Authorities of the Mexican Lexicon will agree with the assessment that ******** is not homophobic

http://www.asihablamos.com/www/significado/palabra/********

it just means one is either gay, or promiscuous or other things that you can see in the previous link

just like any word that can be used in a bigoted and negative connotation, you have to draw the line somewhere, but for example, would you censor the word black if it offends white racists?

do not censor our Mexican culture

adopt it like this guy

https://www.facebook.com/1679524285670521/videos/1698152533807696/

I understand the line has to be drawn somewhere, but would you censor the word mexican't? that's incredibly bigoted, and it is more bigoted to freely censor our culture, but not bigoted words like Mexican't

I mean, I have no problems with gringos using the word Mexican't as long as we Mexicans can use our cultural words like ********.

Please consider this petition as an honest invitation of dialogue, because I understand why people would take offense to something they do not understand or google translate gives the wrong translation so I make myself
    readily available to teach anybody who does not understand the Mexican culture, and makes assumptions that have bad consequences like the censorship of our beloved word ********.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    [​IMG]

Subscribed

sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had enough gay members on the site complain and say the opposite that we've decided to go the other way. This is a case of not letting the members of one group decide how another group should feel about a word that impacts them.

z0mb1e repped this.
  4. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    totally understand that, and I agree that their feelings need to be accounted for. but what if a group decides that headscarves are offensive and decide to ban them, would you protect the sensitivities of the offended party over the culture of another?

5. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    maybe a compromise can be reached, like how about not censor the word in BSMX?

if the phrase radical islam offends a group, well, censor it in their group, but why should it be censored site wide?

6. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    That word has nothing to do with Mexican culture. Find another excuse.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

CyberAce100 repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The software is not set up that way; it's site-wide or nothing. So it's site-wide.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since that's not something we'll need to deal with on our site, I have no need to decide what should/need/ought be done.

9. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that was an example

I know nobody cares if someone is wearing a headscarve while on the net lol

but what I meant is, if someone's culture is offending someone, how can we find some middle ground?

10. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    just got the greatest idea of all time

have your coders create client side censorship. code it so users can censor words they dont want to see. and open up the site to words like ******** which is not homophobic to nearly 99.999% off all mexicans.

if they are worth their salt, they can do it

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that there is no limit to block somebody who is not Mexican from visiting the Mexican forum.

Further, if the word is allowed in the Mexican forum, then somebody can state something that should be allowed in a different forum that might be derogatory in the Mexican forum. And so on.

Additionally, as I understand it, Pu to is a descriptor, much like gay is in the US (specifically). Thus, one can easily start saying something like "Those uniforms are gay" which is derogatory.

Edit: did a bit of research. I was wrong. Pu to = Fa g got or "lack of manhood"
    http://www.outsports.com/2015/7/13/...la-concacaf-gold-cuo-soccer-********-gay-slur
    http://fusion.net/story/286018/mexi...****-chant-with-anti-discrimination-campaign/
    (in the two links, put "pu to" where the ****** are to get the link)

The second link strikes me as your request being disingenuous and your desire to use the word unfettered.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ground you seek is not the middle. Regardless, you can use the word wherever you feel comfortable doing so, just not here.

13. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't care if I personally is allowed to use the word or not. I hardly ever use it unless I am at a Mexico match. the issue at hand here is the demonizing of our mexican culture and how quick it was to censor something without consulting the mexican community here.

it looks like people's culture and and customs can now be erased here by people who do not understand our culture and get offended by it.

its whitewashing of Bigsoccer and this is not right either.

14. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Is bitch censored?

EDIT.

It's not...there's a lot of bitches on BS that have complained to have bitch censored so why not accommodate them? (Not one of those who complained)

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want me to weigh the opinions of gays and Mexicans and have one opinion win out?

I am well aware of the arguments on the use of this word. I am also well aware of what personal friends who are both Mexican-American and gay feel when the word is used as an example of "their" community. They hate it. And maybe you have counter examples of gay Mexican/Mexican-Americans who think it is totally fine.

But it isn't any longer here on BigSoccer.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

You use it at a Mexico match? For what purpose, so support your team? :confused:

Actually, I know the reason, and it is meant to be disrespectful and derogatory, and those are two of the same reasons the word is, and should remain, banned.

The cultures and customs get modified all the time. Arguing that with Ismitje is not really someone who will take that argument as one that is reasonable.

As for the last line, ha. Seriously, that is laughable.

17. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you can laugh at the evident whitewashing of our mexican culture by a small offended minority. but it is happening and it is terrible that bigsoccer promotes whitewashing of other cultures.

I mean, there's gotta be some middle ground rather that erasing a big cultural component of the mexican heritage.

to me it just seems that the admins do agree with the systemic whitewashing and are helping perpetuate it, because ishjmite says it is not possible but I know for a fact that xenforo can be coded to support such feature, but either they do not see any benefit to help maintaining cultural heritages among the bigsocxer comminities. I understand, this is an american website, and they wamt to keep it american

I understand it, but it doesn't make it morally or ethically correct

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y tu, perndog?

19. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Isn't this like Hindus and Swastikas?

They understand it means something else outside the country, so they tend to avoid using it.

Or are they also having there culture whitewashed.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje, you have the patience of a saint. I don't know how you do it.

song219, La Trucha and Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  23. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    it was a whole stadium yelling ********, not a random bunch.

and all mexicans know that the video of the mex nat team was forced when the FMF's appeal with FIFA was denied

the FMF is just trying to save money by building precedent that they tried all they could

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already won my friend. You went with the US fans (one isolated subgroup) and I went with the whole Mexican National Team. I feel good - this good!

[​IMG]

25. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    happy to make you a Mexico fan

make sure you get your scarf here

http://www.panchovillasarmy.com/