Petition to Crew Management, FO and HSG.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Andrulis didn't have the respect of this team at any point during the year. My vote's for Fraser as player/coach next year. Yes, I said it.

2. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Do us a favor and make sure you know what the hell you're talking about before posting.

On a sidenote, it's amazing reading some of these comments from Fozzie.

On the starting Dante decision (which I've heard was made right before the game):"There's a lot of tough decisions we have to make for a lot of different reasons, and that was one of them. I can't go into anymore detail."

Add that to the other quote about not being able to answer questions.

What the hell is the problem that he can't answer any questions? We fvck up that badly and they won't give us the least insight on why they did what they did. It's insulting.

3. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    No, there should be not "rotation" to take PKs. One guy should take ALL PKs and the entire team should know who that is and should support him. Obviosly, Paule didn't have the poise to be "that guy" who would make all the spot kicks. One miss shouldn't ruin all your confidence. The fact that he went to JC to see if he wanted it tells me that Paule should never have been taking them in the first place.

4. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH

Let's play a numbers game for those people who would like to see Andrulis back next year or feels that he still deserves another chance:

Greg's record in the playoffs - 2-4-3

That's 2 wins, 4 losses and 3 ties. And mind you, this could be traced back to 1999. So, in the last 5 years we have won 2 playoff games. Against San Jose mind you, in the same series. Which means besides that 1 series in 2002, we have not won a single playoff game. Which in turn means we have not won a playoff series, save 1, since 1999.

Why did we do so well during the regular season? Because there was no pressure on us at the time. We played the game we wanted to play, which was to sit back and absorb pressure and hit a team off a mistake. Opportunistic you could say. Except when we need to create our own chances, we start to fall a little. This has been the case since 2001 when Greg took over.

In 2002 we had the chance to win the Eastern Conference. However, we choked against Chicago and ultimately New England passed us. And lets not forget then that they beat us in the playoffs using a very similar tactic to what they used tonight. They play a high pressure, bunker defense and force us to make mistakes. We have proven continually to be ineffective against it. Must like it took us until 90+ miinutes into this game to break their defense. PK's aside. Yes, we earned the PK, but nowhere on the score line do you see an asterisk mentioning that the Crew deserve credit for earning (and missing) to PK's.

Let's look at yet another disturbing statistic. This being number of games we have been down at half time and then come back to win. Zero. None. Never in our history. Sure, this has as much to do with Fitz as Andrulis, but you don't exactly see this statistic changing. The most we've been able to pull out ever is a draw, and even that is seldom. Once we are down, we have a hard time getting back up. Now, if this happened once or twice in a season, you could pin it on the players, but other than Mais, we have a completely new set of players on this team since the beginning. And you'd think if it were the players, that's an awfully big coincidence that so many players fall victim to that trend in Columbus.

Ok, so lets finish off with some logic. Why do we have so many veteran 'experienced' players on this team? If Greg really were the coach we all want to believe he is, he could take a group of relatively inexperienced younger players with talent out the wazoo and turn them into an unbeatable team. But instead, he needs to get as many leaders involved to make this easier for himself. Maybe it goes back to him orginally being a goalkeeper coach. Why does he feel more comfortable with Fraser mentoring Marshall than himself? Or Elliot and Sanneh with Szetella? Or Hejduk with Wingert? Perhaps he felt we were lacking the leadership and experience at forward so he brought back Washington?

If he really is the coach for this team, he should be able to take this team and lead it himself without having to hand off so many responsibilities to other people. Because that's when situations like Sanneh stepping up to take a PK he has no business taking happen.

And what about the success of the season? Should that buy him another year? Maybe, if we had made it to MLS Cup. But we crashed out, in embarassing fashion, against a team that barely snuck in to the playoffs, whom we have played before in the playoffs. And they beat us with the same tactics they used two years ago! Those who do not learn from their past mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

So, let this be a new beginning for the Columbus Crew. Greg, it has been a nice couple of years, thank your for winning us our first hardware. We'll never forget you and will most certainly look back on your time with fondness and thank you for giving us such talented players as Marshall, Wingert, Bush, Martino and even Szetella. (Even though he was more a gift from the league)

We as Crew fans deserve better. We deserve to be shown that this organization wants to win a championship and is not content with mediocrity.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The PK rules for the series tiebreaker require at least 5 different players to take 1 shot each. Obviously Paule was our number 1 taker. When we got our second chance in regulation and Paule passed, it should have been clear who was next. Martino would have been my choice but he'd been subbed out. Jeff or Edson would be next, probably Jeff. Why a player who's never taken a PK in MLS got the ball is beyond me. I'm guessing Robin made the decision remembering some breakaway chances that Jeff didn't convert.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    This is no way detracts from a solid post, but the part I quoted is incorrect. We've never won when trailing at the half away. At home I think we've won about ten times or so when trailing at half.

Again, I'm not trying to detract from your post but this is the third time I've seen it in the last week from multiple people.

7. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think that's how it went down, but IF it did then Fraser would be an idiot to disregard the fact that Cunningham has never missed a PK, including 3-3 this season.

8. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH
    Actually, I think you are correct. Thanks.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Where do you get the idea that Szetela is a defensive player?

10. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    the same place that told them Danny was unhappy here and wanted to play for the Metros.

11. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Like someone already posted it is the coaches job to find out who the best PK takers are and inform the team of who is going to take the PK. You have a very talented team, if you had a better coach you'd probably be in the final.

12. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I didn't spend a dime to see a Crew match THIS year (only freebies) because changes weren't made. However, I still support the club.

13. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    And as a result, fewer than half of the decisions during the unbeaten run were victories.

14. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

And, I agree with a great deal more of your post than the part I quoted. Just wanted to keep the reply from being too long.

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which goes to the cliche of how one can only lead a team as far as HE'S been.

16. One More Year

One More Year New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Frisco
    As a Dallas fan who also loves your team I have to tell you not playing your leading scorer and let those guys take the penalty shots was insane. GM needs to be careful and not let a coach make a great situation in Columbus to a very ugly one. Let's hope that they won't make the same mistake as New England. Now they can't get 6000 to watch their game at home.

17. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Someone needs to remind the Hunts that McCullers is still the *interim* GM and if they want him to be the one making the important decisions, they should make him the permanent GM. No interim GM is going to fire a head coach.

18. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH

Lets go back and forget about the frikkin PK's. First, we should have been heads above NE after finishing a zillion points ahead of them. Second, even if we've had made the PK's, you all forget that Twellman and Noonan both missed open shots from 8 yards out; shots they usually put on target and make. So even if we had made the PK's, we'd still be staying home for the long winter. This lineup was not conducive to attack for 90 minutes which is what you need to do when you find yourself a goal down.