Petition for Arsenal Fans Dismayed by Club's Behavior

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Aaron Stollar, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.petitiononline.com/afcfans/

My thoughts are on the petition site.

But before I am flamed...

I will always love Arsenal and that is exactly why I hold them to a higher standard.

2. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I can't fault your love for Arsenal. But you're wrong here. This isn't something anyone here admires as everyday team or player behavior. The mood here was dictated by the circumstances today and in recent years. VanNistlerooy simulated today, as did Solskajer at Highbury, irregardless they cheated. VanNistlerooy cheated and got Ipswich sent down two years ago and was never punished. He has dove far more often than any player anywhere the past three years and never been punished. He punched Freddie in the stomach the night we won the League in Manchester and was never punished. He cheated to get Keown banned and was never punished He left Legwinski bleeding on the pitch from a forearm and was allowed to go on and score and was never punished. He went after several players in the FA cup last year and only got a single yellow. And he dove at cardiff and was never punished. This has been along time coming and its not over. And I'm not just referring to Arsenal. I'd bet good money Liverpool have a go at him after he cheated to win a pen and get Hyppia sent off last year. Our behavior was inappropriate, but not unjustified. So I can't sign on here, but I won't slate you either-except for calling Ohio State national Champs-USC beats em and badly if they play last year and you know it. And if they play this year they'll beat them badlyOSU gets stoppage-time pens EVERY time out it seems...

3. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see that kind of passion from our boys (regarding Keown in RvN's face), if you're a fan. If you're a neutral, it makes you think that we're savages. Otherwise, I like to see them get hot under their collective collars, as long as they control themselves, and funnel that anger into the match.

4. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    OP,

Why don't you busy yourself with a petition expressing your dismay over the way the Buckeyes handle their gridiron program?

The Gunners handle themselves with class and pride. I see no reason to suggest we should be in any way distressed by on-field behavior. There is much to fight for, and today's match was a good fight. Why go whining about it?

Viera's sending off today was rubbish. He didn't try to kick Rude van Mulletboy; he was kicking out with absolutely no intention of making contact, but as a way of acknowledging the way Rude dug his foot into him as he fell on top. The way the boys treated Mulletboy at the end of the match was a fine way of sticking up for PV.

With the brand of brilliant football the Gunners play, the easiest way to take them off their game is to snipe away with cheap physicality. Arsenal stick up for themselves, but never play a dirty brand of rough-guy nastiness.

Your petition is petty and absurd. Give it up.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    damn..... I thought the petition was about Arsenal not stocking any Dreamcast home jerseys in l/s size xxl....... curses!! :(

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Well, you have your right to an opinion, but I, myself, think what happened following the PK is nothing more than the emotions of the match hitting their boiling point. As I have pointed out in other places, these are professional athletes, and they got where they are by being passionate about what they do. If you want to see why Keown was giving RvN some grief, check out the photo in the Arse/manUre Match thread. RvN, already celebrating his stunning penalty winner. I don't blame Keown one bit for getting in his face. They're grown men, they can handle it.

And DoctorK, it wasn't OP that started the petition. He actually defends Arsenal's actions.

7. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    dude, you're killing us with this jersey thing

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yikes! Sorry OP!!! Think I'm still a bit fired up...

Aaronstol, you are the object of my wrath! So I'll say it again: Give it up! Be proud of how the Gunners stood up for themselves today!

[By the way, I like the Buckeyes, as I've been there in Columbus for the last two April Scarlet & Grays.]

9. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

PV wanted to kick Ruud. At least I think he intentionally did it. He did deserve to be sent off for that, but RvN also deserved to be booked for digging his foot in PV. RvN totally over reacted, per usual, when PV kicked at him. PV's got to make sure the ref isn't watching the next time he does something like this.

10. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Aaron -

Based on your sig, I'm guessing you want to cover sports for a living, right? If that's the case, then I think you'll look back at this petition a few years from now and say something like, "Boy, I was really naive about pro sports, and what they are and aren't supposed to be."

And like DoctorK asked, where's your petition about The Ohio State University? If you've got one denouncing the past actions of Woody Hayes, John Cooper, and those involved in the current situation, then I'd probably sign it.

One last thing about Arsenal: if you're really "sick of feeling ashamed" about the disciplinary record, you can probably pick another team to support. There are a lot of them out there. But here's a tip: don't look at them too closely, because you'll soon see that no team's perfect.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    When is the Grand Prix radio show coming back???

CART, F1, ALMS, and WRC !!!!!!

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    And Dan has quite a history supporting teams filled with thugs and criminals. Still got those Avs season tickets, Dan? *LMAO*

BTW, Dan, I'm getting trashed as an "emabarrassment" to Arsenal fans in the "Arsenal@manUre (R)" thread (by manUre supporters, of course). Why hasn't the ArseAm calvary shown up yet to defend my honor? *L*

I'll assume that help is on the way.

13. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You guys cry more than Wenger.

Vieira was an idiot for trying to kick RVN, whether or not RVN flopped.

Don't blame the FA for having it out for your bridesmaid club, when you have idiots like Vieira and Campbell who routinely throw elbows or kick people.

Doesn't matter if you hit or miss them, you will get ousted.

It was hilarious to see the Arsenal players jumping for joy after the tie. That pretty much sums up why Arsenal will be 2nd or 3rd place every year.

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aaronstol, this petition is stupid and naive. If you can't support the team, don't say anything at all. Fact is, no-one was hurt, Vieira reacted rashly, but agression is part of his game and it will get him in trouble sometimes. The players were wound up, there was a bit of pushing and shoving at the end, but nothing really violent. Handbags stuff. You should be on the FA panel, then you could punish our team as much as you want!

DaeHaMinGuk: If you can get a tape of the 2-2 draw at Highbury last season, take a look at the Man Yoo players' reactions at the final whistle. I think I'd call that jumping for joy, no?

15. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    We've been slaughtered all week. We 'have no spirit, no desire' even Silvestre said we have 'no spine'. We've been labelled cheats, we can't defend, we are 'finished' as a major power. I've had pictures of us in our new kit (sponsored by O3) waved in front of my face. I've taken stick from Derby, Leeds, West Ham and even Spurs supporters.

Well yesterday we got our team back. let the FA do what they want, the last time they deducted points we won the league and as one, Arsenal Stadium rang with the tune 'You can stuff your *#*#*#*#in two points up your arse.'

16. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    This is a joke

Many of the people that post here are located in the states (myself included). What happened yesterday was great for the game. You see 10 times worse than that at every NBA/NFL game, and its appauled.

Bad news for you guys, money is what makes this sport go, like any other, many of Europes top clubs are on the pay role from American Companies and if they are ever gonna get dollars from the lucrative American market yesterday is what you need. You wouldn't have clubs like leeds selling there stars to stay in business.

At least they showed their passion, something often hide.

The British press seem to throw the word "class" around like Americans do "heroic"

calm down guys

17. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    I seem to rember the Manure players jumping for joy after drawing 2-2 at highbury last year and then going onto winning the chamionship!!!

Also in regards to the petition, some of us (myself included) have often moaned about the players lack of commitment, so yes while it was overdoing it, I was happy to see the players actually caring about the game yesterday, however I did note that of the four players who confronted Vin Diver 3 of them were English!

18. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I can't believe a guy who supports a club with Roy Keane on it has the nerve to accuse the Gunners of having thugs.

I'm just bummed Edu didn't thump somebody. He's always good for a bruising against the Mancs!!

19. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point by point: When was the last time Le Boss injured one of his plyers in a bout of anger?

RvN was an idiot for actually thinking that Paddy was trying to kick him, as are you. RvN jumped like Vieira had a snake attached to his boot. That was utter crap.

It was hilarious to see the EPL table and see that Arsenal are still in front of ManUre. Funny, that...

2nd or 3rd every year, like in '99 and '01, right?

20. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude, you can stop with the incessant moralizing -- it's freaking football, not organized religion or politics. They're athletes that play a game and sometimes get emotional. Have you ever gotten excited over anything? There supposed to entertain us, not function as our role models. If footballers are you moral leaders, then you've made a poor decision.

I love Arsenal because they play great football, not because they represent some higher standard. I mean, gosh, Keown actually yelled in RvN's face because he was excited -- oh, the humanity. What's the world comming to? I mean, Keown actually brushed RvN when he was jumping up and down celebrating.
    Here's an idea -- grow some freaking balls, you castrati singer!
    --df

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Arsenal finished second both of those years.

22. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, wrong years, jerk. We're all entitled to a mistake every now and then, right? I think you know that I meant '98 and '02. My bad...

23. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about my petition

I made that petition after watching the match on tape for the first time... I was upset, I felt I should do something... Now that I watched everything again, my opinion of the behavior of the Arsenal players at the end of the match is unchanged. I appreciate all your feedback and I also appreciate the apparant lack of personal attacks and that many of you respect my opinion...

Some things I'd like to clarify with clearer head:

- Vieira's sending off seems correct to me, considering that it was his second yellow card and not a straight red... a straight red in that case would have been harsh, but it was only Vieira's petulance that got him that second yellow card, sure did Van Nestlerooy make it look like he was shot... yes, but just like with Beckham in '98 the kick shouldn't have happened.

With regards to Ohio State, and comments leveled at me regarding the recent issues here...

- I don't disagree with anyone who crticizes Ohio State for the allegations regarding both financial and academic corruption here at OSU.

- I currently work for both the student newspaper and the student radio station here, and I don't believe it would be appropriate for me to petition my own university at present, as I am a credentialed member of the media. I happen to believe that Ohio State's behavior in almost every regard to "Clarett'gate" has been unbecoming of an institution with our kind of tradition of fair play. I do not defend Ohio State's actions and in fact, I do my best here to tell the truth as we see it, not as the University tells the local media to see it. I don't believe my affiliation with OSU should have anything to do with my merely being a supporter of Arsenal...

I do hold both institutions to higher standards, and whether a petition is a smart idea (probably not in the end), I do really appreciate the feedback and I thank most of you for keeping it at a very surprisingly civil (for BS) level.

Aaron S.

PS- regarding the Grand Prix radio show, I am now sports director of the station here, and right now I just don't have time to do that show as well, it may come back this spring depending on if I can sell any ads for it... Thanks for your support.

24. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    SO are you the guy who runs around with the big Buckeye head at the game? That has got to be the gayest mascot in football. And whats with "Hang on Sloopy?" I hear its the official song of the State of Ohio?! Also very gay.

Ooops, sorry, that should have been in the "College Football All-Smack Thread" :D

You get full props for being fair in regards to OSU.

But I guess I still see the whole post-match thing as handbags-at-ten-paces. No punches. No blood. Just a bunch of guys losing their cool and, honestly, making asses of themselves. Guys in the NFL grab face masks and push each other around all the time after the play- their only consequence is "offsetting personal foul penalties"

As for Paddy, I think everyone agrees that he shouldn't have stuck his boot out. It was stupid and he was rightfully carded. But the guy is OUR MAN and we deserve to rally around him (like the Mancs did to Beckham after '98). The man is not a dirty or violent player and he deserves all of our support.

25. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody made Viera kick at RVN. Regadless of his intentions, Pattrick Viera is 100% responsible for his own actions. The fact that RVN over-embellished the kick is completely, utterly irrelevant. The fact still remains that Viera kicked at RVN, period. And it was a stupid, childish, unprofessional thing to do. He left the ref with no choice but to give the second yellow. This move could have cost Arsenal the game.

And the mood out of the Arsenal camp (players, Wenger, fans on this board) seems to be to blame RVN, blame SAF, blame the ref, blame the FA. Blame everything and anything but the idiotic behavior of the Arsenal players (Viera and Lauren being the worst examples).

Criticize RVN all you want about play acting. But do realize that if Arsenal want to win the title (as they are capable of with their talent), then Viera and the rest of the cry babies need to grow up in a hurry. They can't be losing their cool under pressure situations. Otherwise ManU or Chelsea will leave them in the dust.

And I am coming from a neutral standpoint. I'm not a ManU fan, nor am I an Arsenal fan. I did not care about the outcome of this match. I have no animosity towards Arsenal. In fact, with their talent, skill and athleticism, I find them fun to watch.

But with the idiotic, childish behavior from the Arsenal players, and the apoligist, blame the world standpoint of Arsenal posters on this board, I'm thinking that Arsenal will nose dive by the end of the season and the Arsenal fans will be crying a river (blaming the weather or something).