Peterson Jury give verdict...(R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by fidlerre, Nov 12, 2004.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Peterson Jury ready to give verdict...

I think in order not to complicate things we should keep the two issues separate. Let's not mix the facts. Let's first agree (hopefully) that criminals should be convicted as murderers for killing a baby that the mother wanted to carry to terms. Then, we can begin to debate the issue of late term abortions.

2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, the twisted logic that surrounds our abortion laws. In California, the killer of an unborn baby has committed murder--unless it's in a clinic with the mother's consent.

3. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999

glad to hear that the baby is a "thing".

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro

Well, obviously thanks to someone (Scott was convicted) her life was at risk. So, by this line of thinking, that someone was acting illegally legaly. Right?

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Third, and maybe even second, trimester abortions should not be legal unless the health of the mother is at risk.

Reflecting the conservative's hostility towards women, the last partial birth abortion bill that passed Congress did not include that exception.

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you serious? Let's pretend for a minute that we're not talking about a viable fetus. Let's say we're talking about a nine or ten week old fetus. Are you saying that just because I have the right to terminate my pregnancy that gives other people the right to terminate it against my will? To interfere with my body against my will? Surely that isn't what you mean to say.

7. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Y'all are losing sight of the central argument in favor of a woman's right to choose. And that is control over her own body. When abortions were illegal the government basically forced women to carry their babies to term (let's set aside the prospect of illegal abortions for the moment.) FORCED them to allow their bodies to be used for nine months to grow a baby. People, pregnancy is brutal.

Women should be able to control what happens to their bodies. Period.

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know that.

Excellent.

9. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

Uh I don't think that's what he is saying. He is saying that if Scott was found guilty of murdering an unborn child then the child is a sentient living creature.

Thus neither Scott nor Laci should have the right to 'murder' the child.

Otherwise Scott didn't commit double murder. he commited murder 1 and then commited the crime of performing an illegal abortion against the will of the woman, which is not murder if life begins at birth and not conception.

10. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

and who were the big evil conservatives who forced these women to have irresponsible sex? Seems to me, and I'm not a doctor or a scientist, that if a woman does not have irresponsible sex the likelyhood of her becoming pregnant greatly decreases.

this isn't about forcing a women to do anything and it's not about trying to control what a woman does with her body, it's a debate on when life begins. John Kerry said he believes life begins at conception so according to John Kerry abortion is murder. You don't hate John Kerry do you? He's a war hero.

11. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Who the F*** cares about this? This coverage is so mindless. There is a great fight in Falluja going on, yet barely a freaking thing on any news channel.

A girl in being smuggled over the border in a pinyata got higher builling in the news that Falluja. Nuts.

12. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. Because like the Virgin Mary she did it with the Holy Spirit and there were no other actual human males involved.

Idiot.

I don't give a ******** what you or John Kerry thinks. Neither one of you will ever be pregnant so as far as I'm concerned you don't really get a vote.

You men kill me. You'll gleefully murder each other and each others wives and babies with bombs and guns and missiles but god forbid some scared teenage girl end a pregnancy that could ruin her life.

No compassion. No empathy.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

Abortion always comes back to sex. Would conservatives then advocate oral or anal as responsible sex, no unwanted pregnancies. I think not, they don't care about life or death except if it's about other rich white people. They only care about abortion because it's caused by dirty, hot, sweaty pre-maritial sex. If they actually cared about stoppin abortions and not sex they would tell their daughters to give blowjobs or handjobs.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Liberal parents would tell their daughters to only give blow jobs and hand jobs if the boys reciprocated.

;)

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

Ah the golden rule

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly!

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Very few women can get pregnant all by themselves.

18. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY

And very few governments can impregnate a woman.

By outlawing abortion the government isn't forcing one to do anything. It's removing an option.

If the fetus is a distinct human being, that can be murdered by a third person, it's status doesn't change when it is aborted by its mother. It's either human or it's not. If you're arguing that it is human, but a woman still has a right to abort it, that's pretty **********ing cold.

He got charged with murder for the woman, and it would make since to charge him with something like a coerced abortion, but to say that the fetus is a human being if it's life is ended by it's father, but it isn't if it's mother ends its life doesn't make sense.

19. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA

Huh? Well, since there are only two options (have the child or not), then the woman is left with one option. Which is the same as saying she is being forced to do something.

Well, that's part of the whole debate on abortion. Some people believe life begins at conception. Others don't.

Sure it makes sense. The mother is carrying the baby/fetus.

20. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY

First off - I admit I worded that poorly, from one perspective yes the government is forcing a woman to carry the baby to birth. But the government isn't forcing her to get pregnant. But of course, the abortion argument comes down to when life begins so this is pointless.

That's not the issue, the issue is that if Scott Peterson kills the fetus it's a human life, if Laci Peterson aborts it, it's not. If human life starts at conception it starts at conception, if it starts at birth it starts at birth, you can't have it both ways.

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

You mean they didn't fall for your charm and good looks? There's a big ********ing shock.

NO!

And if she didn't want to have irresponsible sex, she shouldn't have dressed like that, or had a father from a red state whose idea of a biblical family is Lot and his daughters.

22. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    This entire arguement comes down the the recognition of what a slippery slope you are on in either or both of two different situations:

1. When you CHOOSE to have sex, and then CHOOSE that sex to be "unprotected."

2. When you try to resolve the issue of "when life begins" after you recognize that killing an unborn child at a certain time and under certain circumstances is a crime but not not in others. (excluding, of course, when a woman's life is at risk.)

In either situation it comes down to a matter of a lack of recognition that consequences follow certain acts. If you are going to do the act, there are consequences that follow. If you don't like the consequences, don't do the act that causes the consequences.

But then for irresponsible people, suggesting they should begin to act responsibly after starting on an irresponsible path is not logical in the first place so there will never be a resolution to the question. It is very much like the folly of trying to teach a pig to sing.

23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast

You probably don't think you need help, you think that someone like Dr Phil is some sort of a left wing charlatan. Please go and talk to your local religious leader and tell them about this problem of yours before hurt someone or yourself.

Well before you hurt someone else anyway....!