Peter Prendergast, it's time to retire

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 22, 2005.

1. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Let's face it Peter, you're useless and you can't spot fouls 3 feet in front of you. Your grasp of the game is poor and nobody in Concacaf thinks you're worth anything. Maybe it's just me here, but Prendergast has never officiated a game fairly for either side and it's time for him to go.

:D :D

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repeat after me...........it was not a handball on Berhalter, Peter.....it was not a handball on Berhalter, Peter. :rolleyes:

3. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Hejduk fouled a man in the box minutes before that and it wasn't called.. The "handball" was just a makeup call.. get over it, it happens all the time..

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I think he should have been fired and striped of his whistle right now.

5. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Fixed your post. ;)

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    still prendergast is incompetent, and ONLY FIFA succumbing to using him as a token keeps him on the pitch...

barrett, the jamaican before him, recall rfk 1997 usa-guatemala, and that's barretts match.....

jamaicans have piss poor refs, NO wonder their domestic players get away with crap, the homies can't ref period.....

watch prendergast end up in germany....I wonder what match they'll assign him....

someone should file a civil suit against him, he's dangerous to players health...

might be a nice man, but he's clueless.

7. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Telefutura PBP guys are saying--"clarisimo es penal!" aka crystal clear PK...it is a slight idication to how poor a FIFA ref can be. This man has no business being on the field at the international level.
    My old basketball coach used to say that refs are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Yep that's Prendergast!

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Oh Jesus, he's a professional and he does the best job he can. He had one really bad call against Costa Rica, and now everyone hates him even before he calls a match. And since he had a few bad calls yesterday, the boards have been going crazy with hate. What about all the matches he's called with us involved where nothing happened? He seems to miss a few big calls (cards and penalties), but he's very good with the normal fouls.

10. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I hate him :mad: :D

11. Sean_94

Sean_94 Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Which game would that be? Just wondering, cause I cannot recall a game I've seen him ref (qualifiers, World Cup) that I didn't end up befuddled.
    I didn't see the Honduras game. But anytime Prendergast officiates a game, I get the feeling that every foul (or non-foul) call is purely random.

12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By far the worst-reffed game that I have seen in this tournament. Even calls that went to the US (although they were few) were **********ty as well.

13. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    He should have retired 5 years ago... But I've come to accept the fact that all refs make big mistakes. Those that make them rarely are called good refs. I'd really love FIFA to adopt the NFL method with slight modifications obviously.

Personally, I'd like to see each coach get 2 red flags which they could throw on the pitch when they feel the ref made a bad call or missed something. Ref reviews the video angles and then decides. Since there's no timeouts in soccer, they wouldn't be penalized anything. To make up for a few extra minutes that would drain from the game, stop the time while the ref reviews the play, and eliminate stoppage time (wouldn't hurt also if refs gave out more yellows for time wasting). That should balance it out.

Obviously something like this would have to come from the very top at FIFA, but because this system was invented by a sport in the U.S.A I doubt it would even be under consideration. :rolleyes:

14. Super White Boy

Super White Boy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I cannot recall all of the games that he has called against the US, but in most of them he seems to give the other team a lot more leeway than the US. He usually lets them hammer the US.

Watching the game last night my friend and I were irate at how he was calling the game. I was talking to my brother today, and when I told him that it was Pendergast he said that it all made sense.

This is why I feel that for big tournaments (Yes, I know in the international scheme of thing the Gold Cup isn't "big".) that you should have refs from outside the region so that there, hopefully, isn't any regional bias against one team. That seems to be what Pendergast is all about!

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It wouldn't be under consideration because it's ridiculous and would totally disrupt the flow of the game.

And, eliminating stoppage time? Come on. Did you watch MLS from 1996-1999? Thank god we will never go back to that.

16. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I think that's an exageration. Think about it in terms of when a player gets injured and has to leave the game. Is that a total disruption?

Stoppage time is unnecessary in my opinion. Even without the ref reviews system being adopted, I'd rather see 2 halfs of 50 minutes without stoppage time than the current system.

17. Sean_94

Sean_94 Member

Dec 29, 2003
    As much as I don't like Prendergast and most CONCACAF officials, I think most of our refs suffer from too few "big" games. Prendergast calling a World Cup match is a joke (and mainly quota-based) because most of his experience is the Jamaican league.
    It is tournaments such as the Gold Cup that actually gives CONCACAF refs a chance to call a big game.
    I believe I recall, however, that during 1998 WC qualifications, CONCACAF turned to South American refs.
    My view on CONCACAF refs is they seem to cave to the home crowd, possibly due to lack of experience. This is why qualifiers are so frustrating to watch the refs do what they do.
    From reports I've seen, the U.S.-Honduras game was more a Honduras "home" game. So it would not be a surprise to me to hear Prendergast did one of his hatchet jobs.

18. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    It can be argued that he's a professional and he's trying to do his best.

But the bottom line is this: We got a player hurt on a challenge that wouldn't have happened had he pulled out the cards early and kept control of the game. That's unacceptable, and it's happened two straight games, and now the US is down two of it's best players because of it.

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Blown penalty, probably two or three straight reds that didn't even get a yellow, one not even a foul, and one a foul on the USA for getting hatcheted! Prendergast is an abomination, and I think he's far more sinister than merely incompetant, like Sibrian. Prendergast is borderline corrupt.

20. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there no way to protest refs like Prendergast BEFORE the match and thereby getting another ref assigned to the match? Whether at the GC or other tournament.

There should be!